PDA

View Full Version : How does one attach ss mesh to thin cast aluminum?

parsonsj
11-11-2004, 06:05 PM
I've thought of using epoxy.

Has anybody had any good results (I've even heard of some sort of specialized welding technique that can be used)? This is for my grill, so it doesn't need to be that strong a bond. Just so I won't be waving in the breeze at 150 mph.

Anybody?

jp

Matt@RFR
11-11-2004, 07:56 PM
Sandwhich it between the cast aluminum and a piece of aluminum (or whatever) sheet or small flat bar...lots of small bolts and nuts, and you're off. That way it's removeable too.

nancejd
11-11-2004, 07:58 PM
You should be able to braze the two metals together.

68LSS1
11-23-2004, 11:32 PM
Heh John, I've recently been introduced to a tape from 3M called VHB. Follow this link (http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/specialty_vehicles/node_NNQPQNFJDHge/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_08ZZHMLMB3ge/theme_us_specialtyvehicles_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html) which will give you three categories to choose from. Check the last one and there is a listing of a bunch of them. They have surprisingly good qualities. Some can withstand short terms exposures to 300 degrees F and they had a test roll that retained 92% of it's adhesion after being exposed to 150 degrees F for 5 years. Some are unaffected by chemicals and some work on paint. If you click on one you like there will be another couple links with a pdf VHB Durability guide. Supposedly they also use them when manufacturing semi truck trailers and ambulances among other things. I haven't used any yet but I thought I'd throw this out.

Matt@RFR
11-24-2004, 11:45 AM
I'm using that same tape (PN 4941F) in a product I'll be manufacturing soon. It takes 15psi of pressure to activate it, and arrives at maximum holding power after 72 hours.

I don't know exactly how much it costs, but my customer bought 8, 25' rolls (just guessing) for about $1500.

parsonsj
11-26-2004, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the info. It sure looks promising for what I'm doing.

How does it work? Could I lay some of this tape (double sided, right?) down on some clean 6061 aluminum, then lay some ss mesh on top of it, clamp tight, wait 3 days, and voy ola, it's bonded together?

??

thanks,

jp

68LSS1
11-26-2004, 10:32 PM
That's pretty much it. They have a transfer type tape that is double sided and a a acrylic foam that is also double sided. It comes in varying thicknesses and there are quite a few different types for various applications. Like Matt said, 15 psi on the tape but it does say a rigid surface may need 2 or 3X more for the tape to see 15 psi. 50% curing strength in 20 minutes at room temperature. Here's a 13 page pdf (http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediawebserver.dyn?IIIIIIrP0UXIbl3Ivl3III5SUt1kZMx N-) of the tape characteristics, installation instructions, performance data, etc. Maybe Matt can add some more when his secret upcoming project is released.

Matt@RFR
11-27-2004, 12:49 AM
Maybe Matt can add some more when his secret upcoming project is released.

lol You covered it well. It's just a matter of sorting through the bunch and picking what'll work best for you...and hopefully the one you pick will be less expensive than what my customer chose!

The "secret project" isn't even for the automotive field. :)