PDA

View Full Version : Sema Newsletter about Consumer ATTENDEES

96Z28SS
10-05-2006, 08:41 AM
SEMA SHOW CLAMPS DOWN ON CONSUMER ATTENDEES

Connecting businesses and buyers is the fundamental goal of the SEMA Show, and under the direction of the SEMA Board of Directors and the Show Committee, efforts have intensified to ensure the event maintains its trade-only status.

Attendees at the 2006 SEMA Show, for example, will be required to establish their trade status by providing proof of employment at an automotive-related business during the on-site registration process. Individuals will not be admitted simply for showing up with a company’s representative.

In addition, SEMA has increased attention to applications from states near or neighboring Nevada, locales within an easy drive of Las Vegas. Show Management also continues to monitor enthusiast websites for “chatter” about the Show.

For 2006, the badge and badgeholders have been updated. Last year’s badgeholder, for example, will not gain entrance to this year’s Show. Return attendees have been issued Legacy numbers to ensure their continued value to exhibitors. Finally, exhibitors or attendees can call a Show Hotline number printed on the badge to report consumers they believe may be in the Show under false pretenses.

“It’s natural that enthusiast consumers would want to visit the year’s finest collection of automotive speed and style,” says Peter MacGillivray, SEMA VP of Communications and Marketing. “But we also recognize that our primary obligation is to our members, to maximize the time, money and effort they spend at the greatest automotive show in the world.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that they should make Saturday the day after the show open to consumers and general public. That way it everyone gets to see the cars.

rockdogz
10-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Good idea...

edit: referring to this:

I think that they should make Saturday the day after the show open to consumers and general public. That way it everyone gets to see the cars.

Damn True
10-05-2006, 10:27 AM
The "Interbike" bicycle industry tradeshow has been doing this for years.

I'm hot/cold on the idea. On one hand it ensures the event's primary purpose is protected. To put retailers in contact with vendors. But by the same token the consumer, on whom both of the aforementioned depend, is blocked out preventing access to products he might not otherwise see. How many companies have developed new product or changed existing product based on input from consumers.

Sure that input might and often does filter through retailers, but many retailers want vendors to offer a narower product line with fewer sku's for them to stock. That conflict often prevents consumer input from making it to the vendor.

Double edged sword to be sure, but I understand the move.

camcojb
10-05-2006, 10:50 AM
As an exhibitor at the show last year (I know Allen, no smart remarks! :eek: ) I would have rather had it open to the public as that was our main consumer of our products. We did pick up dealers there, but the public response would have been even more appealing to us.

On the other hand, it's super crowded and virtually impossible to get to every booth there as it is, even when going all four days. I think they quoted a max time of 8 seconds or so at each booth if you literally wanted to see every booth. So I totally understand and support limiting it to industry people only.

Jody

zbugger
10-05-2006, 10:54 AM
...On the other hand, it's super crowded and virtually impossible to get to every booth there as it is, even when going all four days. I think they quoted a max time of 8 seconds or so at each booth if you literally wanted to see every booth. So I totally understand and support limiting it to industry people only.

I agree. I go to look for new parts and updates based on what we're moving towards at our shop. Expand our resources for the business. Basically, that's what the show is for me. No offense to others, but I go for the parts, not the cars.

ProdigyCustoms
10-05-2006, 12:57 PM
I think where the problem comes in is when Mr. Retail ties up a manufacturer with 100 questions about one product, for one car, that he "MIGHT" use on a car he "MIGHT" build. In the meantime a distributor that sells, or wants to sell, multiples of all that Manufacturers products has to wait until the manufacturer is finished with Mr. retail to discuss new products, sales ideas, and general business. So what ends up happening is either the distributor moves on, or waits, which tightens his schedule more, or, the manufacturer has to tell Mr retail, sorry, times up! Which pisses off Mr retail.

The fact of the matter is SEMA is a "Trade Show". Manufactures set up in 100s of retail freindly enviroments to address Mr. Retail. At those shows they are focused on the end user.

I know from many conversations that many manufacturers enjoyed the new Orlando location for PRI if for no other reason so they were not inindated with every shop mechanic and race team in Indy. Being in Florida made it a little harder for these guy's to make the show, and left more real distributor buyers to come to the show. And the distributor buyers are who these "Trade Shows" are for.

96Z28SS
10-05-2006, 03:45 PM
I think where the problem comes in is when Mr. Retail ties up a manufacturer with 100 questions about one product, for one car, that he "MIGHT" use on a car he "MIGHT" build. In the meantime a distributor that sells, or wants to sell, multiples of all that Manufacturers products has to wait until the manufacturer is finished with Mr. retail to discuss new products, sales ideas, and general business. So what ends up happening is either the distributor moves on, or waits, which tightens his schedule more, or, the manufacturer has to tell Mr retail, sorry, times up! Which pisses off Mr retail.

The fact of the matter is SEMA is a "Trade Show". Manufactures set up in 100s of retail freindly enviroments to address Mr. Retail. At those shows they are focused on the end user.

I know from many conversations that many manufacturers enjoyed the new Orlando location for PRI if for no other reason so they were not inindated with every shop mechanic and race team in Indy. Being in Florida made it a little harder for these guy's to make the show, and left more real distributor buyers to come to the show. And the distributor buyers are who these "Trade Shows" are for.

The President of our company was telling us he knows, 3 companies that won't be at Sema this year cause of what Sema has turned into. I guess last year was the last straw with the girls dancing on the towers outside and the drag racing on the strip.

I think that Tuesday - Friday should be trade people only and Saturday should be a public show Maybe even at a different location just all the car outside for everyone to see. $15 tickets and Sema could make a bundle of extra cash. I don't think any other car show could touch the one SEMA could have as far as the caliber of cars at one time at a single location.

rockdogz
10-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Why don't they just ban whole cars alltogether and limit it to showing off just your part by itself? Oh, add a dress code and that there should pretty much guarantee that the public won't be busting down the doors to get in. Then the manufacturers and distributors can all talk shop! Then make a separate car show.
:)

datsbad
10-05-2006, 05:22 PM
WOW, I didnt mind the girls or the drag racing....Kinda make me wonder about him . LOL !!!

A dress code for sure would be a good thing I think

Dayton
10-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Last year I faked doc's to get in. This year much more strict. It was nice to see all the parts I was going to use on my build at one event. In Jan 2006, I spent almost $30k for parts. I doubt Chassis Works, Budnic, Vintage Air, Classic Industries, etc, etc, the recipient of these $$$$$$, were too annoyed that I slipped in .
If so, my extreme appoligies to the exhibitors I talked to.

nancejd
10-06-2006, 05:14 PM
It probably wouldn't be too bad if people respected what the show was about, and didn't suck up everyone's time. If consumers waited to talk to the vendors when they had a spare moment I don't think it would be a big deal.

I think in the end this is something that is impossible to police entirely. How much documentation can you require to prove you are employed at a company? And the hotline thing? Give me a break, once you let someone in, how are you going to decide if they are just a consumer? Are you going to hassle people because someone calls them in? What they can do is make it more difficult to get in, but enterprising people will always find a way around the rules. I remember that three years ago there were tons of kids running around for instance, that didn't happen last year. Seems to me that they have made that situation better.

TonyHuntimer
10-06-2006, 08:47 PM
I missed the dancing girls. :(

Another problem is the people who "sneak" in under false pretenses are really throwing off the actual number of people who should be there. The industry uses the attendance to judge the economy and its positive or negative affect on the industry.

A Saturday show could be a great option...but I doubt vendors would pay the extra $1000 (or more) that it would cost to rent each space. The SEMA show is a great advertising tool that is very expensive to be a part of. Plus paying employees an extra day and hotels too. Wow!

My $.02
Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

CarlC
10-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Though I understand the wish for limited access, it is a double-edged sword for the OEM.

Having dealt with multiple distribution channels for longer than I care to remember, there is one thing to always keep in mind: The distributor typically does not care whos product they sell as long as they get the sale and the profit margins are reasonably the same. The consumer, not the distributor, makes the ultimate decision on what is sold.

Now, who is the best representative of each product? The OEM, and having been on the OEM side of the business and dealing with the frustrations of distribution, I would gladly choose to talk to an end-user vs. a distributor. I''ll tell each person what works, won't work, and which of my competitors can best fill the need if my products won't work for them. That's building a brand loyalty that a distributor typically cannot do. We also know who the distribution players are and are courting them on a regular basis, so a special show for them is not always the most effective way to make a deal.

ATS, Lateral Dynamics, and a whole host of other site sponsors and/or smaller companies do not have mass distribution but instead sell their products directly to the end-user. So, would SEMA work for them if the end-user could not put their hands on the product and have some face time with them? Personally, I doubt it.

IMHO, SEMA should be a show that is end-user driven for four days and then one day set aside for distributors. However, as much as I like the dancing girls, it is unprofessional they way some of it is done. Get a dress and conduct code, and kick out those who break it.

ProdigyCustoms
10-07-2006, 03:15 PM
I would think it makes no sense for end user companies to use SEMA. That is not the focus of a "trade show". And as much as I am sure Vintage Air appreciated Big Ds purchase. He bought one unit, we are selling somewhere around 50 units our first year. And while I am sure Classic industries appreciates his order, we have been A Classic Distributor for 15 years and are breaking the $50K mark.

I am in no way belittling Big Ds purchase, weather he bought from the manufacturer direct or through a dealer, I thank him for buying, but the reality is we signed up with Vintage Air at the SEMA last year as Distributor. We will probably do $100K with them next year. And that is who Vintage is targeting at SEMA.

Vintage Air and others have a very aggresive show schedules they run for the end user. Some conpanies are on the road every week. There is only one show a year for the trade.

I trully understand why the public so badly wants to see the cool cars. parts, models and dancing girls. I would feel the same way if i was not in the business. So if someone gets in, God Bless them.

Vegas69
10-22-2006, 07:59 AM
I can understand the point of the show. However I think the Saturday open for the public is a great idea. The consumer is what makes it possible for sema to happen. I live in Las Vegas and have a car waiting for a rotissorie restoration and have picked many vendors on this website for my build. I wanted to go to sema to see the products in person. If anyone has an extra pass please email me I would be happy to compensate you for the pass.

Thanks,
Todd

NOVA
10-22-2006, 11:25 AM
So what kind of credentials does one need to provide?
I was going to go this year on my time, our company will be over in the regular parts area and I want to go to the SEMA part?
Does anyone know what I would need to provide to get in?

NOVA
10-25-2006, 03:28 PM
can anyone help with a answer, what do I need to provide just a business card and pay my daily entrance fee?

So what kind of credentials does one need to provide?
I was going to go this year on my time, our company will be over in the regular parts area and I want to go to the SEMA part?
Does anyone know what I would need to provide to get in?

ProdigyCustoms
10-25-2006, 06:06 PM
I talked to SEMA today with some other questions on moving in the car and such. i asked about late regestration on site. They pretty much said expect the rubber glove if you have never been before. Apparently most retail people coome from driving distances, and make last minute decisions to come, and do not pre regester. So that seems to be a red flag.

I did hear that this year a "copy" of a occupational license will not work. One should expect to have a original with them complete with water mark. Also heard a buisness card will not be enough. but take all that with a grain of salt. This came from someone responsible for moving in, they may know less then us.

But considering how easy it is to fake business card and "copies" of documents, it made sense.

nancejd
10-26-2006, 06:35 AM
I would think it would be in SEMA's best interest to be very clear about the documentation required. Nothing is going to get them sued like sending people credentials and then denying them entry at he door. By sending you credentails they are basically inviting you to their show, and imagine paying for airfare, hotel, and car, not to mention the potential business loss of being gone for four days, and then having them say, "oops, you didn't bring the secret decoder ring, sorry we can't let you in." They can use the badge holder distribution to ensure that the person attending matches the credentials, but that's all they can do on site. As for original documents, how could you bring your original business license with you, most states require that it be posted in your store whenever you are open for business? They will never be able to keep the retail public out 100%, all they can do is make it difficult enough that it keeps the croud down and limits entry to enthusiast that are inventive enough to produce whatever they need to get in to the show. I'm sure in the end even SEMA recognizes that a certain amount of enthusiast participation is a good thing, think of all of the advertising that manufacturers get from word of mouth from participants, especially with the prevalence of internet forums. The thing they need to figure out is how to get that participation level to the right amount.

hotrod
10-30-2006, 06:34 PM
It's business as usual at the Sema show. All they wanted was a business card and that was it.