PDA

View Full Version : Header fitment issues

barno68
10-04-2006, 05:41 AM
I just picked up a beautiful set of Pacesetter headers, but the collectors are hitting my frame. The headers are designed for a 93-97 LT1 Camaro, which I am guessing has wider frame rails then my '71 Camaro.

Is it possible to maybe heat the tubes right before the collector and bend all four inward with out damaging the pipes or the ceramic coating?

I need at least 1/2" more clearance in order to bolt up the headers and may also have some contact issues with the lower A-arm bracket once that is done, but think denting the tube at that point will be fairly easy. I do not want to notch the frame as I would have to take out a lot of material and the sub-frame is already powder coated. Thanks.

Brent

HILROD
10-04-2006, 10:58 AM
If you use heat it'll ruin the coating. It look like you could just push or pry the header inward a bit to clear the frame rail. You should be able to do it without heat. I can't see the contact on the other pic. FRANK

andrewb70
10-04-2006, 05:31 PM
How does the other side fit? Is your engine centered? Is the tailshaft of the transmission centered?

Andrew

barno68
10-05-2006, 05:59 AM
Ok, I am 3/8" off center at the tail shaft. I can correct this, but both sides will still hit.

barno68
10-07-2006, 10:14 AM
If you use heat it'll ruin the coating. It look like you could just push or pry the header inward a bit to clear the frame rail. You should be able to do it without heat. I can't see the contact on the other pic. FRANK

Some how prying on headers bolted to aluminum heads does not give me a warm fuzzy. Also, how would heat destroy the coating? Afterall, the ceramic coating is made to withstand exhaust temperature. I am not talking about torching them until they are a white hot buttery mess :-)

Brent

paul67
10-07-2006, 04:29 PM
If you can get 2 bars up into the inner pair of tubes at the collector end , heat up the outer tubes were you want the clearance then put in vice or put piece of wood and hit with a hammer the only tubes that would flatten are the out side ones , as the inners are held round by the inner tubes, they can take a hell of a beating without cracking , theres a pair on ebay that had the s**t hammered on a tube , type headers and you will see.

barno68
10-12-2006, 11:05 AM
If you can get 2 bars up into the inner pair of tubes at the collector end , heat up the outer tubes were you want the clearance then put in vice or put piece of wood and hit with a hammer the only tubes that would flatten are the out side ones , as the inners are held round by the inner tubes, they can take a hell of a beating without cracking , theres a pair on ebay that had the s**t hammered on a tube , type headers and you will see.

That is a good idea, although I think I will skip the hammering part! I was looking at the tubes and can probably insert four pipe with camphered ends while securing the headers in a vice (towel wrapped) and heat the tubes. Should be able to do that without damaging the headers or coating. Thanks!

Brent