PDA

View Full Version : Converter POWER!

TheRoaringEagle
11-10-2004, 10:29 PM
What kind of info is important in determining which Converter is best suited for a car?

Is stall speed the most important factor?

I'm running a 400 sbc, TH350, and a 12-bolt Posi with a 3.42 final.
I don't know what type of converter I have. Right now it is assumed to be stock from a 6 cylinder car. I won't jump on the track a lot, but I will occasionally. It's a daily driven street car.

Will stall speed effect top speed, fuel efficiency, or daily drivability?

gmachinz
11-11-2004, 06:19 AM
To me, two things are the most important when deciding a converter. One is vehicle weight, the other is gear ratio. Typically, a heavy car likes a lower stall speed because the forward inertia of it launching gives it a slightly higher "flash" stall which can sometimes give the converter a higher stall than what is advertised. Conversely, a light car responds better to a higher stall "to get it moving" quicker. Fuel mileage will be lower with a higher stall converter, but it won't drastically effect drivability-slow starts from a stop might take longer to get you moving than if you stab at it a little more-it takes a little getting used to. I would go with a 3,000 converter if the car is under 3,600 lbs. and a 2,500 if it is heavier given the info you provided. A lot of the rest depends on cam selection, powerband, etc. -Jabin

TurboLark
11-12-2004, 03:17 PM
You also need to know your torque. A 3000rpm convertor put behind a 305 motor may only stall to 2500 and put behind a 454 may stall to 3600.