PDA

View Full Version : Turn Downs or fender exit?

protour_chevelle
10-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Should I tuck th exhaust up nice and high with a clean turndown before the axle or do a exhaust exit like in the pic? I really like it exiting the fender for some reason.... Just wondering what other people think. I would tuck the fender exit just as high.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/10/exhaust16-1.jpg

-Matt

chicane67
10-01-2006, 06:54 PM
I cant really make out the exhaust tip.... the wing is throwing me off. :doh:

Why not behind the wheel, I am wondering ?? Beyond that, I kinda like the cleaner look of being tucked and out of the way. Or maybe create some flat exits sorta like 'boomtubes' used in professional racing and exit it before the wheel opening ??

The only draw backs to turn downs are an increase in noise, droning, carbon-monoxide in the interior, reduced aero and in some states it is just against the law..... (but rarely enforced.)

If you clock the turn down exits towards each other, it does seem to tone down some of the audible issues.

protour_chevelle
10-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Turning the turnodowns towards eachother would tone down some of the noise but wouldn't it also cause more exhaust fumes to stay under the car?

Its going to be too hard to keep the tailpipes with the way I want to mount the panhard bar. Maybe I'll tuck the exhaust up tight to the floor and have the turn downs right infront of the wheel but not visable by the eye. I'm a "You should hear it, not see it" type of guy. So the least the best!

Oh and that wing on the mustang... Its functional haha It kicks booty around the track.

-Matt

chicane67
10-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Well, no matter what, if it is dumped at or before the axle and exits under the car..... its gonna be there. Now how much more over turned towards each other, or straight back, or to the sides is a really good question.

I have run them turned down, straight out the back and towards the outside (but not quite all the way as you have pictured) and my only impressions to each are pretty much them same. With the exception that turned down was louder and pointed straight out the back was a little quieter.

I know Mean69 did the turn towards each other on his 69, but I couldnt tell you his impressions.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

ProBell
10-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Chicane67 The Rear suspension looks awesome. I would love to see more pictures of it.
As far as exhaust goes. I recommend to try and get it out the back. I had turn downs on my Pro Street car and every time you back up at a show you blow dust all over. I thought I was going to get a beating with a California duster more than once from a fellow participant.
The side exhaust I had was just plain loud in the car.Got old on long trips.
This is how I got around my rear suspension.

chicane67
10-02-2006, 02:34 PM
As you wish....

The main Lateral Dynamics web site (http://www.lateral-dynamics.com/)

The product and gallery tabs show much, much more of the design elements and some really bitchen rides that have undertaken the duties of utilizing this suspension package.

ProBell
10-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks. That looks like a very nice suspension system. Are you happy with yours?

chicane67
10-02-2006, 05:33 PM
Well, I have yet to take that plunge.... I still have my FIA leaf package design on my 67. I guess you could say I have figured out leaf springs, but I dunno... the LatD 3-link would be the only future consideration that I would utilize myself if I were to change over.

The chassis pictured is of "Lateral 1", which is Mark's personal toy.