PDA

View Full Version : ring gear issues

ss350chevy
09-30-2006, 01:37 AM
ok so i have a rather unhealty grinding noise every so often when i try to turn my car over. i believe this is due to the teeth on the ring gear being stripped (though i have yet to drop the starter to confirm this). I am not able to pull the engine for quite some time and was wondering if any of you have any ideas/suggestions as to how i would be able to prolong the life of the existing ring gear or how to (at least temporarily) fix the problem without pulling the engine.

any suggestions are much appreciated

alky
09-30-2006, 03:02 AM
It sounds more like the starter is not shimmed properly.
Did this just start?

ss350chevy
10-06-2006, 02:39 PM
starter is shimmed properly. It started fine until i had a rockerarm nut that backed off and went sidewaysbending a hardened pushrod. I put a new set of rocker arm nuts on and (unaware that the pushrod was bent) tried to start her up, to which my car replied "shiiiiiink, shiiiiink" which i imagine was the sound of ring gear teethe being sheared off. After replacing the push rods the car makes some ugly noises when trying to start, but it is one out of every five starts that this happens, which makes me think that it is a spot on the ring gear rather than the starter itself.

if its the starter no prob... i havew a TCI mini sitting on the shelf, but i doubt that the starter is the problem.

what do you think?