PDA

View Full Version : A new source for Taurus cooling fans

LowBuckX
09-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Summit now sells alot of stock replacement Items. Pretty much everthing autozone type places has but I found they have Taurus fans now, yay..
Not as cheap as a bone yard but if you want new here ya go.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=RNB%2D620%2D101&N=700+4294908331+4294907826+4294924927+4294924500+ 401115+115&autoview=sku Rockauto has them for $10 cheaper but Ive heard of the dorman name as summit has but Ive never heard of OE solutions or Hollander as Rocauto has. But Im sure they all come from the same supplier.. Plus Summits shipping may be cheaper

Im sure if enough requests are made for the MarkvIII fan they could carry them.

gmachinz
09-30-2006, 10:33 PM
Dorman is a division of HELP or Motormite-they try to sell hard to find items-interesting that they are getting into the cooling fan arena. I doubt they will be carrying the Mark VIII fan any time soon. Almost everything Motormite sells is made in Mexico or Taiwan ie cheap parts, less than OEM quality components, etc. The Mark VIII fan motors are made by Siemens/VDO in Canada for Ford. I sell about 3 Mark VIII fans a week not including shop installs. I've even got Rockauto beat on them too after buying in bulk from my dealer. I'd still spring the cash for an OEM fan vs. Dorman but that's me...I don't like doing things twice. -Jabin

LowBuckX
09-30-2006, 10:48 PM
Dorman is a division of HELP or Motormite-they try to sell hard to find items-interesting that they are getting into the cooling fan arena. I doubt they will be carrying the Mark VIII fan any time soon. Almost everything Motormite sells is made in Mexico or Taiwan ie cheap parts, less than OEM quality components, etc. The Mark VIII fan motors are made by Siemens/VDO in Canada for Ford. I sell about 3 Mark VIII fans a week not including shop installs. I've even got Rockauto beat on them too after buying in bulk from my dealer. I'd still spring the cash for an OEM fan vs. Dorman but that's me...I don't like doing things twice. -Jabin

Ford wants over $240 for a replacement Taurus fan

John Monnin
10-01-2006, 04:35 AM
I'm out of touch, whats special about a taurus fan?

LowBuckX
10-01-2006, 09:43 AM
2 speed super wind machine.. :poke:

MonzaRacer
10-31-2006, 12:27 AM

Well as a professional tech I have used motor mite for years and no they are not cheap and as for OEM being any better , figure this the factory stuff is bid to the cheapest supplier with quickest supply chain, a friend of mine works for Visteon and tells me he reboxes a lot of "OEM " parts after putting on FOMOCO or other OE part numbers/designations and they get made with the same part numbers we all call "stock" .The big myth I had was that the factory fan motor from Autozone dont last/work/fit and every once in a while I get one that wont fit but I do that from NAPA/Carquest/OEM too.
i have used several of the complete OE solutions in just the last year or so and no combacks.And trust me with Firestone everyone trys to use the 1800ITBFREE phone line. and if we had any problems using them we would be sent bulletins to avoid them like the plague.
And hey if everyone has an extra $250 laying around go for it.
As for me I still crawl the salvage yards for gold. My other favorite is the 3 or 4 foot Grand Am fans with shroud. i used a single to cool a 402BBC in 70 MC when I went away from stock fan/shroud.
another good one is the free standing(re no shroud) fans from the larger GM cars such as 98's.
You want to talk cheap try some of the aftermarket fans some companies sell.
OH and for the Spal fans every one so loves to brag about they are built over seas by a low bidder.
Strange thing is I never used a 2 speed fan, if I wanted 2 speeds I would make it a dual speed with a resistor (just like FORD) As while you would think most dual speed fans are double wound its just (on quite a few) a short restistor link inside the fan and 3 leads.
Remember the OE's use lowest bidder too.
Remember the line on Armageddon"hows it feel to be going into space in ship made of over 400,000 parts all made by a low bidder?" its not exact but it fits!
Lee

LowBuckX
10-31-2006, 01:54 AM
Strange thing is I never used a 2 speed fan, if I wanted 2 speeds I would make it a dual speed with a resistor (just like FORD) As while you would think most dual speed fans are double wound its just (on quite a few) a short restistor link inside the fan and 3 leads.

Lee

I agree with everything you said but this bit. I took apart my motor to clean the armiture and commutator and The taurus fan Im using has 1 armeture and 2 commutators. 2 sets of brushes also. 1 commutator is like a normal motor and the second it a flat disc with the brushes contacting from the bell down to the commutator

like this
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

PS Im sure my Speeeling is off but its late..

streetrod77
10-31-2006, 08:25 AM
Do anyone know the cfm of this fan?

gmachinz
10-31-2006, 06:35 PM
A lot is true about overseas parts but as for certain electric cooling fans, some stand out. The Mark VIII being one, the Taurus fan being the other. Some items are farmed out to the lowest bidder but not everything. I, having experience in this allows me to have full confidence in these fans because they are made, not "assembled" in Canada by Siemens/VDO. Everything Motormite has darn near is either made in Taiwan or China-go look at the parts at your nearest parts store, you'll see. They make cheap quality, hard to find parts-period. I agree with most of what monza stated except for the fan issue-if you want a Motormite fan, you might as well buy a Zirgo fan-those of you who know what they are know what I'm talking about! lol.

MonzaRacer
11-05-2006, 08:57 PM
So ther eare some that have double windings and brushes. Never saying there wasnt but I have seen more of the internally resisted units than I care about.
HMMM seems to me that Seimans is the brand that are sold at AZ and on another post someone was giving them a thumbs down. And while Motor mite may have some things made in other countries you have to understand,,,, if some factory in US has workers wanting to take home 50000 to 70000 a year plus big benifits then the company will find a cheaper place to make the part so it cna be kept at say a $65 price instead of $265.
I just contacted a manufacturing company to produce some parts inb bulk on contract but as soon as I told them they were automotive parts I started talking to a UAW union rep andhe told me what I was going to pay for them and what I would have to sell them for.so 3 days later I scrapped that idea and the factory manager ask me if I still needed parts made if so I needed to call his "overseas" co-worker. so Iask him what my parts would have cost without union labor and it was withing $5 of overseas BUT i cant get it done in US without a union rep making it a union made part.
Dont get me wrong, the part shipped in would have still cost me over $75 dollars but it would have been to my spec and it would be here on time if I so chosen.
Now I have three machine manufacturers calling me to buy $750k (each) machines to make my parts and need 6 of them,,,well thats not happening.
While outsourcing and making parts overseas is inevitable for some people I prefer to keep my parts made here in USA ,unless I get tied up in court for having "auto parts" made without union labor. you get a factory worker who wants to make more money than i do as a master tech and diag tech and have benefits as good as our government workers and a retirement plan than pales in comparison to government workers.
No wonder we have people pushing NAFTA, they gotta get stuff made fast and cheap. Besides Motor-Mite/Help is a repackaging company anyway for the most part. when they got into the expansion tanks, fans, plastic intakes did they start contracting production directly.
If you get luck and find a good soure on dual winding fans and tey have good service life please post the manufacturer/partnumber somewhere.
Lee Abel.

gmachinz
11-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Without getting too political, I agree that unions and their prices are what's a significant part of the overseas outsourcing problem, there's no denying that. I too am a master service tech with ASE certification but that means crap to me-it only means that I passed at least 70% of the test questiosn-big deal. I also am certified in fire alarm and card access systems. So I can say with confidence that Siemens/VDO makes most of the worlds electronic circuit boards, motors, etc. and that extends to auto parts. They do have plants all over the world so the country of origin can be different but when it comes to electric fans, I always recommend by experience the Lincoln Mark VIII fan. The fan motors are made in Canada-at least every one I've seen is. Yes, AZ carries them but so what-AZ carries a lot of parts, some of it is crap, some isn't. It is me experience that Ford carries the best electronic cooling fans-bar none. Part number RF-64 baby.

LowBuckX
11-06-2006, 11:47 PM
It is me experience that Ford carries the best electronic cooling fans-bar none. Part number RF-64 baby.

Agreeded but the Mark 8 wont fit every thing

gmachinz
11-09-2006, 08:23 PM
True-the Mark VIII won't fit everything-in that case, I suggest the Taurus fans-Ford again. I deal mainly with 1978-88 G-bodies and some 68-72 A-bodies so fitting a Mark VIII fan is never an issue. -Jabin