PDA

View Full Version : Big block super comps what a P.I.T.A

HTRDMX55
09-29-2006, 07:19 PM
Ok just installing my super comps from jet coat on my 67. What a nightmare. Took me all day just to get in one side. I had to grind the flanges a little to fit over my arp head bolts. Is this normal. Then proceeded to the othe side and the same damn thing. Im ready to throw the damn things down the street. Bye the way my neighbors now know im a pretty good cusser too. Oh yeah and I have some nice lovely scratches on my new 650 dollar headers. Anyone know how to get these out or am i out of luck. I have installed headers on far to many cars and I thought these would be a walk in the park. I did the ones on my 94 Z28 and it took me half the time and I had to take the car almost completely apart I mean the engine compartment to do it. Ok im done crying.

Bad Bowtie
09-29-2006, 08:06 PM
HTRDMX55,
I feel your pain or PITA!. It's more common on motors with head studs to require clearancing the bottom of the flanges, but i've had to clearance some with 6 pt. arp head bolts too. Its probably even more of a problem on large primary tube headers. As far as the scratches and depending on how deep they are I would find something that acts more as a polish and try that.
If you think putting headers on your camaro w/ BBC is bad, try a 69 Pontiac GTO 400 ci w/ Edelbrock heads which require round tube headers (Ram air style), they have a couple of center ports that the bolts are almost impossible to get to. My girlfriend actually got them started for me, she undoubtably has more patience than I do. I'll be in the same boat as you real soon on a 68 i'm doing and it has power steering. Oh I cant wait :hammer:

Jack

Bandit
09-29-2006, 08:38 PM
I had to grind the flanges a little to fit over my arp head bolts. Is this normal.

I had to grind the flanges around every one of my ARP studs, even with my "small" primaries on my 402. I also had to dimple one of the primaries a little bit to clear my stock-size starter. I was just thankful I didn't have any clearance issues with the frame or firewall or any show-stoppers like that.

Paul

HTRDMX55
09-30-2006, 05:46 AM
well im glad to hear im not the only one with these problems. I have the pssenger side in and oh joy still working on the drivers side. Thanks for the comments I feel much better now.

69ratfed
10-02-2006, 06:33 AM
We put a set of Super Comps with 2'' primaries on a 69 with a 454 and DART 310 heads. Also had power steering. Had to shave the corner of power steering cover. Shaved mounting boss on power steering box to fit deeper into pocket on frame. Then we had to shave the a-arm bolt a tad to clear a tube on passenger side. We also moved some of the steering suspension around. End result was no dings, bends or scratches.

69ratfed
10-02-2006, 06:50 AM
Forgot one thing. That process took over 16 hours and alot of words that little children should not hear.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: There is about 1/8'' between header and power steering box. One thing we had to make sure of before we started was to have correct motor mounts for a big block. That will sovle a big headache early on.
Good luck on the drivers side.

EFI69Cam
10-02-2006, 08:30 AM
I called hooker about the fit. They answered that the super comps are race parts and servicability and ease of installation do not matter.

I found the best way to get the drivers side header in is too remove the steering rag joint off the column and box, then pull the three bolts that hold the box to the frame. The box will then stay in place because of the steering linkage.
Pull the steering box down, then put the header in between the block and gear. You will then snake the header in while pushing the box up to its position. Its good to have help help with the header from above, but I did it alone.
It sounds complicated, but it works like a charm.

HTRDMX55
10-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Well I got them both in finally. The thing I am worried about is them being flush. The now are over the head bolts but are just sitting on top of them with minimal clearence. I did some grinding to make them fit over the bolts but i was wondering if I should take them out and do some more grinding. I dont want any leaks. All in all what a P.I.T.A.

HILROD
10-02-2006, 08:18 PM
I installed a set of th Hookers in a Camaro and a Chevelle, Both with big blocks. Never again! The first set for the Camaro just wouldn't fit. The second set rubbed everything. Most of the aftermarket heads have raised outer bolt holes. Some header makers clearance the flanges for you. Hooker doesn't care. FRANK

BobB66SS
10-03-2006, 07:58 AM
Same deal on the 461 in my '66 Chevelle. If the install would have been a reality TV show it would have been one long bleep over my language. 2" primaries, GMPP heads with ARP bolts, clutch linkage, brake booster, and P/S make for 10 lbs. of (bleep) in a 5 lb. bag.

Had to grind the head of the front head bolt to get the driver's side bank in, and they clear the steering shaft by a hair. In fact the shaft is just the slightest bit eccentric to the point where you can see a witness mark on the its paint where it hits the header. An alignment shop wanted to take the headers loose to get more caster adjustment, I almost killed them when I saw what they were about to attempt.

Let's hope I never have to do that again, the most recent install was #3. Giant PITA.