PDA

View Full Version : A-body drum to C5 disc

jjump59
08-16-2004, 03:02 PM
Is anybody selling just the brackets to bolt the C5 calipers to the a-body drum spindle. Picked up a set of 4 calipers for 200.00 and can get the Z06 drilled slotted rotors from GM for 120.00. Now if i can get the brackets i'd have almost everything needed to bolt this up. If I have to I can make some but would need a good drawing and maybe some pictures to show what you used and how you did it. thanks

dennis68
08-16-2004, 05:32 PM
Click my link-there is a page there on the C5 conversion. I'll see if the guy who made mine is interested in making another set. They are fairly basic, flat 5/8" 6061 I believe. If you knew somebody with a CNC I'd be happy to draw out a plan to cut.

Edit for speeling

jjump59
08-16-2004, 08:45 PM
thanks for responding. funny i had checked out your site before. looks like it's moving ahead. i'm hoping to use the drum spindles so the bracket is probably different. i have the b-body spindles but was trying not to buy the upper control arms. if your guy is willing to make another set i would probably go that route, looks like your are top notch. let me know what he thinks about making another set. thanks again.

72SSAbody
08-17-2004, 01:14 PM
jump,
give me an e-mail. I've got a couple of sets left that I want to get out of the garage. I'll give you a set at cost.

Joe

dennis68
08-17-2004, 01:29 PM
Looks like "my guy" best me to it. Joe is a great guy to deal with, very knowledgeable and overengineers everything. :icon996:

You will be impressed with the brackets-

BTW, how you doin Joe, long time no email. I ordered my Howe centerlink today so I am about ready to do the front-end/brakes. I'll shoot you an email later after everything is rollin'. :3gears:

jjump59
08-17-2004, 02:19 PM
Joe tried to e-mail you but it said you would not accept thru here and i don't know your address. you can e-mail me at [email protected] or post yours so ican respond. thanks

69boo307
08-18-2004, 06:48 AM
I used Joe's brackets too. The end result:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Q ship
08-18-2004, 09:33 AM
Another guy here that has Joe's brackets, I am happy so far. Joe was awesome to deal with, great support.

MarkM66
08-18-2004, 10:06 AM
Does anyone make brackets for the C5 calipers on the Tall Spindle conversion?

dennis68
08-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Hey Mark-:hammer:

Yeah, that is what we are talking about. Nobody puts 13" brakes on stock spindles, it wouldn't make any sense to try make the car stop on a dime if the first corner it's gonna plow through on 2 tires.

jjump59
08-18-2004, 12:22 PM
originally i was asking about drum brake spindles because it looks like i can do the guildstrand mod with the stock upper control arms and get the same result as a tall spindle. ie: cheaper! i also have a set of b-body spindles and i could go either way. if you want to keep the drum spindles it looks like there is a guy doing it but i'm at work and can not find the site. i'll post when i find it, last name is Duke.

derekf
08-18-2004, 01:00 PM
Guldstrand mod on an A-body?

Does that work/help?

jjump59
08-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Ok, looks like I have found two company's that might make the drum spindle brackets, Speed-Tech and Touring Classics both have web sites that show the brackets. I'll be talking with Touring Classics about their stuff over the next few days. Not sure but it seems the Guldstrand mod can be done to any vehicle, just raising or lowering the roll center? I'm still at work and notes are at home, if anyone knows for sure i'm open to learning! Jeff

dennis68
08-18-2004, 01:29 PM
Guildstrand mod to "A" body, deja vu. We just had this discussion not long ago on the old forum. The "mod" to the "A" body chassis does not have the affect as it does to the "F" body, also I don't beleive anyone has a template nor done the research to determine it's affects (especially in relation to caster by locating the arms further rearward) on handling. You may also want to check that there is room to drop the mount down. It may involve grinding on the cross shaft mount which is already a weak link (not advisable). The best, proven route is the tall spindle conversion.

jjump59
08-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Sounds like it would be easier to go tall spindle then. I don't think I have the patience required to solve the problems with the stock control arms. I'll try to read more about it in the next few days or so. if I think i've come up with anything i'll run it by you guys and see what you think.

MrQuick
08-18-2004, 05:44 PM
Hey Joe, I was wondering what the cost on the brackets were? Let me know please....email me if you like.I thought I read here that you can use the stock upper a arms? Edelbrocks are pretty cheap if cost is a concern. Thanks Vince

dennis68
08-18-2004, 05:50 PM
Hey Vince, if Joe is out of them and doesn't mind (do you Joe?), you can swing by the shop and we'll make up a drawing for CAD blueprint and have some cut out.

My understanding was that Joe did not want to make a business out of these brackets for liability reasons, I can understand that. I am quite certain though that even after a nuclear event, the only thing left would be ****roaches and Joe's brackets.

edit-:lmao: I think our profanity software is set too high, it won't let me say ****roach.

****roach,****roach,****roach,****roach,****roach :lmao:

MrQuick
08-18-2004, 05:54 PM
I know, I just thought I'd ask since he had a few layin around...I hate lawyers more than I hate doctors anyways...I think he's safe. hey you followin me around??? :seizure: Vince

72SSAbody
08-19-2004, 05:40 AM
Guys,
Give me an e-mail at: [email protected]

It will be friday night before I can respond though.

Too much V-twin powertrain issues going on right now at work :(

Joe

MarkM66
08-19-2004, 09:42 AM
Hey Mark-:hammer:

Yeah, that is what we are talking about. Nobody puts 13" brakes on stock spindles, it wouldn't make any sense to try make the car stop on a dime if the first corner it's gonna plow through on 2 tires.

Don't say that over at Team Chevelle, LOL. There are quit a few that aren't a fan of the tall spindle. I'll probably use it though.

jjump59
08-23-2004, 06:56 AM
Just to let everyone know, I went with touring classics stuff. Was able to purchase the items I needed and they have been a big help/easy to deal with. highly recommend! After more research I decided against the b-body spindle for now, bump steer, steering angle changes along with the ball joint, upper control arm, tie rod changes and the ride hieght change is to much for me to deal with right now. Talked to a friend about building a tall spindle that would use stock control arm, ball joint and tie rods. we'll see how that goes but at least for now i'll have brakes! thanks all that responded.

dennis68
08-23-2004, 09:11 AM
Don't say that over at Team Chevelle, LOL. There are quit a few that aren't a fan of the tall spindle. I'll probably use it though.

Yeah I know, the un-informed are pretty argumentative about what they don't understand. I post over there quite a bit-just try to stay out of the suspension geometry problems associated with the OE "A" body configuration.

Marcus SC&C
09-06-2004, 07:07 PM
You never know,the "uninformed" who "don`t understand" just might have done quite a bit or research on the matter including such things as extensive computer analysis and measurments on many actual cars with such things as a proper bumpsteer gauge to come to their conclusions... ;) Marcus SC&C

dennis68
09-06-2004, 07:16 PM
Nope, I'm a pretty big "poster" over at TC and have had numerous discussions about the merits vs. problems associated with the tall spindle swap. The only neg aspect of the swap is the slower steering response and bump steer. A quick ratio box and some adjustable steering linkage quickly and cheaply resolve both issues. Thanks for the input though Marcus-I have shot my mouth off once or twice.

HIT THE 500 MARK!!!

el-camino
11-01-2004, 04:18 PM
hi all,
sorry, but i dont understand all your brake-jobs: bigger discīs, bigger calipers for a lot of money. last week i drive with a C5. my friend says: this car have great breaks. :hammer: i let him drive my Camino and he say: oh, this old g-body have better brakes than my corvette :lol: yeep...powered by BMW. with stock Camaro Calipers, Powerstop rotors :rolleyes: BMW mastercylinder .....

dennis68
11-01-2004, 05:39 PM
Hey Klaus, bring that elco over and we'll have a stop-off, kind of a drag race only who can get stopped faster. Your little 9.5" rotors are gonna be in trouble, kinda like showing up to race a pro-stocker with a Yugo.

el-camino
11-02-2004, 01:16 AM
hi Denny
bigger is not always better. i donīt drive 1/4 miles, itīs a roadcar and not for the racetrack. my first old BMW 535i have smaller brakes than my camino and stopped faster and better.

Pro-Touring is not DRAGSTER :rolleyes5

dennis68
11-02-2004, 07:37 AM
When it comes to brakes and all else being equal, bigger is always better. The larger the rotor diameter the longer the "arm" being used to stop the car. Brakes work on a very simple and undisputable principle. Basic physics. I only used the 1/4 thing as an example of how to measure faster stopping times or shorter distances.

Maybe I'll start a new post, everybody can list their 60-0 stopping distance or time if they can get it.

el-camino
11-02-2004, 10:50 AM
hi Denny,
thatīs right, with the bigger rotors. but many people change just the rotors. i think, when the mastercylinder have not enough power, the bigger rotors are for nothing.