PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between the LS1, the truck 5.3, and the 6.0??

dendrizzi
09-28-2006, 05:08 PM
OK I was thinking about going with an aftermarket fuel injection kit. But from reading up on them I can just get an Ls1 for about the same $$. My question is what is the differnces between the Ls1, the truck 5.3 and the truck 6.0. I have seen a few 5.3's out there but I found a 6.0 out of a denali. Is it worth getting the 6.0 truck engine? Is there alot of aftermarket parts for them? Also will the headers and engine mounts for an Ls1 work?

WS6
09-28-2006, 05:14 PM
Externally the engines are the same. The only differences will be intakes and bracketry. The oil pans are different as well. Depending on your build thought you may need an aftermarket pan from someone like ATS------>
Many of the parts swap from engine to engine. The 5.3 doesn't have a lot availible for it specifically. Where as the LS and 6.0 stuff is what most of the parts are designed for.

It will be much cheaper to put aftermarket EFI on the car than to convert it to a Gen 3. There will be a lot of little things needed to make the Gen 3 work and that's where the money will add up. Depending on where you want to go with the engine/car though the Gen 3 may prove cheaper in the end.

Oh if you find a good deal on a 5.3 you can do it for less than aftermarket EFI. The demand for the 6.0s and the LS engines makes them cost a lot more than a similar 5.3

shanekennedy
09-29-2006, 02:55 AM
5.3 is available in aluminum block, don't believe the 6.0 is

dendrizzi
10-05-2006, 04:19 PM
I have been doing some reseach on the 6.0 and there are two different motors. The LQ4 which is the pickup express van engine 9.4:1 comp ratio, and the LQ9 which is the escalade denalli engine 10.0:1 comp ratio. What is differnt besides that compression ratios? The LQ9 is good for 10 hp and 10 TQ over the LQ4. Which is better?

Zee
10-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Click about 1/3 the way down the page. Good info on the entire page though.

http://www.strokerengine.com/LSengines1.html

jaybee
10-06-2006, 01:18 PM
I'm starting with a car that has no engine or trans so power options are pretty much infinite. I had pretty well zeroed in on a 290hp 350 crate engine or maybe even the 250hp with an aftermarket cam as "reasonably priced" power for my project. By the time I get accessories and brackets, intake, carb, air cleaner, starter, etc. the Gen III engines are starting to look like a pretty good alternative. For "budget power" can I get into a used 5.3 or 6.0 for similar money like I'm thinking? Anything north of 300HP at the crank will be sufficient for my purposes. A little freshening up and cam change isn't out of the question for me although I'd like to stay away from a big machine shop bill.

Nine Ball
10-08-2006, 05:27 AM
5.3L LSX engines are cheap because nobody wants them. The 6.0L engines have a good resale value because a lot of high-HP guys like using the iron block. The 5.3L is no slouch though, a simple cam swap, headers, and LS6 intake manifold and it would be in the 350 rwhp (approx 425 hp) area. Put some ported heads on it and it will hit 400 rwhp no problem (475 hp)

Ron S
10-08-2006, 05:41 AM
The 6.0 is iron blocked and a 4inch bore.the heads used on lq4 & lq9 are the same.It has the same port design as the ls2 & ls6,but a bigger chamber volume.I think this is the best starting point and whats in my Camaro.The compression is alittle less then a ls1 but the heads flow alot better.If you get a deal on one put the Eagle 4" stoker kit in it make yourself something scarey.The water pump and balancer have to be changed if you want to run and LS1 style intake.But I just helped put one in a 66 chevelle oil pan worked perfect

jaybee
10-08-2006, 08:19 AM
This continues to sound viable to me. People spend a bunch of money to get 350hp at the wheels out of a 350 SBC. If you can get that out of an engine nobody wants and it's right in the sweet spot I'm looking for it seems like a no brainer.

dendrizzi
10-09-2006, 06:43 AM
Plus with the LSx engine if you baby it you can get around 20mpg!!!! My friend has an LS1 with heads cam longtubes 4.11's with a t56 and he averages 20mpg. My 97 ls1 corvette 6-speed got 35mpg on the highway! These are great motors.

Matt
10-09-2006, 07:06 AM
They are wicked with mpg. With a t-56 a friend of mine who whipped a murielago was pushing 30mpg on the highway. Same set-up (but obviously not spraying). They are really terrific engines.

...I didn't think about the 5.3 aluminum. How cheap is it? Still 6 bolt main? Any more info? If the price is right it might be the way to go since down the road I still plan on doing FI.

Matt
10-09-2006, 07:21 AM
ok.. answered a few of my questions...

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556077

it does have a 6bolt main, and it seems damn near the same as the ls1/2, in many respects.

dendrizzi
10-09-2006, 11:47 AM
I do not think that there are a ton of 5.3 alum engines out there. Most are going to be the gen III 5.3 that was in the trucks and they are iron blocks.. Al least that is what I have found in my research.

shanekennedy
10-10-2006, 04:07 AM
I do not think that there are a ton of 5.3 alum engines out there. Most are going to be the gen III 5.3 that was in the trucks and they are iron blocks.. Al least that is what I have found in my research.

there are gen-3 aluminum blocks (LM4) in rainers, trailblazers, envoys, & SSRs. schramautoparts on ebay usually has a few