PDA

View Full Version : Vortech superchargers

blown69nova
09-25-2006, 06:42 PM
First of all, what kind of power have guys made with an s-trim?
Is a T or YSi much louder than a non "SQ" s-trim and are they as streetable?
I want to make enough power to go 10's ,but want enough reliability to go on Power Tours etc.
Thanks, Steve

ProdigyCustoms
09-25-2006, 07:24 PM
So why not a ProCharger and make real power? What is your combination?

blown69nova
09-25-2006, 07:36 PM
I have a d1sc now that will not stop leaking! Yes, I sent it back twice (actually 3 times, as it's there now). I just don't have much confidence in Procharger anymore. The Procharger did make great power though. I don't see why a Vortech can't make some sick power too.
Steve

DC454
09-25-2006, 08:25 PM
The S-trim will produce enough CFM to support around 450HP at the wheels. I've tune a 3rd gen Camaro with a S-trim and it was maxed out at 470hp to the wheels. I sold a T-trim to a customer that put together a fairly mild 383 stroker motor that ended up making 750hp @ 10psi on the engine dyno. There was a lot left in the tune so the engine could have made well over 800hp at the same boost level. Both car are "street cars". They acually get driven on the street regularly. The S-trim car runs on a stock ecu with a FMU and a custom chip. The T-trim car is on Gen 7 DFI. Haven't seen either car at the track yet. Wierd thing is both owners are over 60 years old. Never too old to hall azz. The T-trim is going to be comprable to the D1sc.

DeltaT
10-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Steve,

It's not well advertised but you can get a Vortech V-2 SQ T-trim head unit. So you get the T-trim flow numbers but still have the super-quiet gearbox. This is the unit Vortech specs for their 2003-2004 Cobra blower replacement kit. You may need to call Vortech as the Cobra version is a counter-clockwise unit.

I am going to upgrade (sell and replace) my current V-2 SQ S-trim to the V-2 SQ T-trim. As mentioned above by DC454, I pretty much ran out of blower (without knowing it) before I even started the motor. I built a stout 383, 9.6CR, 230/236 solid roller on a 112LSA, excellent heads and exhaust, large front mount IC, and I can only get 7.5# of boost after the IC. That's with the blower redlined at about 6400 engine rpm.

Since I want a clockwise V-2 SQ T-trim, non-polished, straight discharge unit, Heavy Duty (in case I ever go to a cog belt for the track), the part number Vortech gave me is: 2E-138-100. Their price is $2501.95 for the head unit only.

I am hoping but have not confirmed that this unit will bolt up to my existing mount plate. I am also hoping to be able to choose a boost level in the range of 10-13psi after the IC and throttle.

I have 2 friends that have had their Procharger head units grind to a halt within 2 months of install, so I'm sticking with Vortech for now. I do know a bunch of guys that are happy with their Prochargers, so it might just be some local bad luck.

Jim

blown69nova
10-14-2006, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the replies.
DeltaT, I was told by Vortech that the T-trim will bolt up to the same brackets as the s-trim (as well as the YSi).
I'm still waiting for Procharger to get to mine, so I don't know what direction I'm going to go.
Thanks, Steve

93HULK
10-14-2006, 09:20 PM
One of my close friends just put down 635hp to the wheels with an s-trim. That was in a stick car with a cog set up and race gas. If not mistaken that was on 16.5 psi. Thats about all the boost it could make in his rpm range.

Rolling_Thunder
10-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Anyone know if anyone makes a supercharger kit for a big block mopar ? (other than those *******s at "the supercharger store" ?)

Wall
10-14-2006, 11:08 PM
I made 523rwhp with a s-trim (14psi) on my 96 cobra and that was pump gas. The T-trim will make more power BUT it doesn't really hit until the upper RPM range. The S-trim comes in much sooner and is more fun on the street. As far as loudness goes it really differs from blower to blower because I've heard some SQ's that were pretty loud and some were quiet, same with the s and t-trims heard some that were really loud and some that weren't.

64duece
10-19-2006, 07:11 AM
I've ran a 355" SBC w/ Procharger's D1 (non SC) and I have a friend who runs a YSi on a 406 SBC. The Procharger was noisy as hell and the Vortech is reasonably quieter.

My setup went 10.11 @ 136mph on pump gas with TH350 and alot of converter (footbraking). On race fuel I went 9.91 @ 138mph and 9.46 @143mph w/ spray. Most of my runs were pretty traction limited due to the short 26x10" tire I ran.

His has a really tight converter and has decent street manners. He runs 9.80's on pump gas in an 81 Malibu (29x10.5W tire), With race fuel he runs 9.40's and has sprayed his way into the 8.70's.

These are certainly more towards race car than you'd probably want but, either setup with "street type" converter, tire, gear etc would easily run high 10's with good MPH and decent street manners.