PDA

View Full Version : TIAL BOV on with a Procharger system?

whytry
09-25-2006, 10:19 AM
Would this be a viable option? I have a good friend that sold his turbo project and the guy who bought it did not want his TIAL BOV. He will sell it to me for $100, if I can use it. It is a 50mm BOV and still new in the box. Can I use this on my F1R 468 BBC? Or should I just get the Procharger Race one?

THX

Blown353
09-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Nope, because with the centrifugal supercharger you want a bypass that's open all the times under vacuum conditions (cruise.) A turbo BOV only opens momentarily when snapping the throttle shut then closes back up, so you lose the bypass ability and therefore put unneeded load on the SC during cruise conditions.

You might be able to adjust the blowoff valve enough so that it would be open during light vacuum cruise conditions so it serves as a bypass valve, but adjusting it as such may hinder its ability to seal adequately under boost and you'll end up with a boost leak. And trust me, you don't want boost all over your garage floor. It's messy. :hand:

As far as the procharger race bypass valve, it's a noisy SOB... although given you have an F1R you probably won't even hear the race valve and bypass air out of it over the gear noise generated by the gearbox in the F1R.

whytry
09-25-2006, 02:46 PM
Are there other suggestions for the Bypass valve? What would you recommend?

DC454
09-25-2006, 08:01 PM
The Tial BOV and any other BOV will open at idle just as long as there is a vacum signal pulling on the top half of the diaphram and boost on the bottom side. Tial does offer different rate springs depending on how much vacum or motor makes.