PDA

View Full Version : Removing paint from engine block

JcGc
09-23-2006, 04:45 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on removing paint from an assembled engine block. The engine is sitting on a stand in my garage.

I have taken the heads off, intake manifold, fuel pump. I taped off the cylinders and intake valley.

I was thinking of using paint stripper or a wire wheel to try to get the old paint off.

Hopefully someone has done this before and has some suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

John

rocketrod
09-23-2006, 04:52 PM
I was thinking of using paint stripper or a wire wheel to try to get the old paint off.

Hopefully someone has done this before and has some suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

John
I used paint stripper and a wire wheel just make sure evrything is tape off real good and take your time.

JcGc
09-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the help. Did you use anything to clean the block before repainting? I was thinking of using brake cleaner, or electrical cleaner.

rocketrod
09-23-2006, 08:34 PM
I cleaned everything thoroughly with Castrol Super Clean then painted it with several coats of Plasti-Kote (rattle can) Chev orange.

ROAD WARRIOR
09-23-2006, 10:21 PM
I've found that using a spray gun and a good enamel gives much better results than spray cans.

JcGc
09-24-2006, 07:58 AM
Can you find Castrol Super Clean at any auto parts store?

rocketrod
09-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Can you find Castrol Super Clean at any auto parts store?Most do or you can get it at Wal-Mart.

alocker
09-24-2006, 10:58 AM
I wire wheel all the gunk and rust off, then I scrub it with brake cleaner. I then use a high temp primer, then engine paint. I have found the primer extends the life of the paint drastically.

shmoov69
09-26-2006, 06:37 PM
If I remember correctly, Easy Off oven cleaner will do the trick! Maybe a couple of doses.

JcGc
09-26-2006, 06:54 PM
Well, I have not had time to start stripping my engine block yet. I'm debating whether to leave the oil pan on or take it off. I'm also debating whether I should just tear the motor down and take the block and have it hot tanked.

When I bought this car the guy told me the engine is a 400 sbc, which it is, but it's already .40 over. I don't know if a 400 sbc can go .60 over.

Or,,,,,,,I just leave the darn thing alone, spend an after noon stripping the paint off of it, paint it, and then put it back together. :banghead:

BonzoHansen
09-27-2006, 07:40 AM
Oven cleaner removes/softens the paint rather nicely.