PDA

View Full Version : Who sells this stuff???? -- picture of "clamps" installed

Steve1968LS2
09-22-2006, 08:09 AM
Can't find it anywhere.. webserch kicked my butt and all I got was Europe sites I couldn't read.

So where can this be bought??? I liked the look on Stacy's (DSE) Camaro.

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=927&location_id=546

Thanks

72novadriver
09-22-2006, 08:14 AM
You should be able to get them at any good auto parts store that sells gates products. If they dont have them they can usually order them for you. Thats where I get mine. Also a company called kimball Midwest sells them.

Billy

parsonsj
09-22-2006, 08:19 AM
Steve,

Go to McMaster-Carr. (http://www.mcmaster.com) Search on "coolant hose clamps". I found 'em the other day.

jp

LowBuckX
09-22-2006, 08:20 AM
Here you go Page 237 or put "Band Clamp" in the search function
www.mcmaster.com

****JP beat me******

parsonsj
09-22-2006, 08:28 AM
Great. :geek: I win board post races ... rather than autoX races.

jp

Hammered
09-22-2006, 08:50 AM
Bought mine at NAPA but if I were buying a whole set, I'd go to McMaster Carr and buy spares with the money I saved.

fletcherscustoms
09-22-2006, 09:34 AM
bought them at Napa, Fastenal, and Mcmaster

BonzoHansen
09-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Carl C is running them on his 68, IIRC. He mentioned something about a tool available for removing them w/o damaging the hose.

Slick clamps.

andrewb70
09-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Great. :geek: I win board post races ... rather than autoX races.

jp

You have just brought yourself up a notch on the geek scale. :wedgie:

Andrew

Steve1968LS2
09-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Carl C is running them on his 68, IIRC. He mentioned something about a tool available for removing them w/o damaging the hose.

Slick clamps.

Cool deal.. just ordered some from McMaster.

They sell the "removal tool" but it's $50 for a fancy razor blade that won't work on two of my ends (stuff in the way)

Can these overlap the end of the hose to cover the cut? I think that's how Kyle had it on Stacy's DSE car.

Nice, simple and clean better than the showy stuff I was gonna use.

I will carry a set of standard worm drive clamps "just in case" I need to do a roadside repair (easier than carrying a heat gun)

Thanks guys

BonzoHansen
09-22-2006, 02:28 PM
I think Carl mentioned getting a tool cheaper somewhere.

baz67
09-22-2006, 02:58 PM
You have just brought yourself up a notch on the geek scale. :wedgie:

Andrew

Like he really needed to get higher.

andrewb70
09-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Like he really needed to get higher.

No doubt!

Andrew

Jim Nilsen
09-22-2006, 03:34 PM
When I did the search for the nearest supplier it gave me 3 O'Reily's locationsnear me and 2 Fastenals are near me too. So it would seem that a lot of us would be able to get them without having to go mailorder.

I live about 5 miles from the Gates rubber factory here in Rockford so I am going to have to start looking to find someone who works there and see if they make them at the plant here. It would be cool to be able to get a group purchase from an employee if they do such a deal.

I wonder how well it work for hooking up from the water pump to the newer stainless or copper hoses that require the short piece of hose to connect them together? Might not even need to hassle with the expensive covers they want to sell you to cover the clamps? Could make for a real smooth looking setup. Might require 2 of them at each connection but it would still be cool.

Jim Nilsen

chicane67
09-22-2006, 06:01 PM
I think CarlC has been using those things for a long time now and got his at a local joint.... by now, I was hoping he would have jumped in by now to reveal his supplier.

Possibly PM him ??

Steve1968LS2
09-22-2006, 06:17 PM
Holy crap.. I ordered this morning at 10am and it was waiting for me on my porch.. How the heck did they ship it that fast??

Note: they are located in SoCal but still.. that's fast.

I will put the stuff on Monday and report.. Oh, the engine turned over today. All we need to do is pour in some gas and it's vroom vroom time.

parsonsj
09-22-2006, 06:50 PM
Same thing with me. In both Maryland and Florida. Usually order one day, see 'em the next.

I don't know, but it is damned convenient.

jp

LowBuckX
09-22-2006, 07:29 PM
Holy crap.. I ordered this morning at 10am and it was waiting for me on my porch.. How the heck did they ship it that fast??

Note: they are located in SoCal but still.. that's fast.

I will put the stuff on Monday and report.. Oh, the engine turned over today. All we need to do is pour in some gas and it's vroom vroom time.

I ordered some bolts at 3AM after a night of working on my brakes and at 8am I heard the door open and shut and damned if they werent there. Im also about 15 miles from them. They must have some kinda deal with UPS.

Steve1968LS2
09-22-2006, 07:49 PM
I ordered some bolts at 3AM after a night of working on my brakes and at 8am I heard the door open and shut and damned if they werent there. Im also about 15 miles from them. They must have some kinda deal with UPS.

It's the work of the devil I tell ya! But, it's damn nice :)

Damn True
09-22-2006, 08:10 PM
Very cool. I think Johnson has some similar sorta gizmo on the Battleaxe. Lemme know how those work out Steve.

CarlC
09-23-2006, 06:55 AM
McMaster Carr has been the best bet for me. By far the best size range in stock and great delivery. And if you saw the size of their stocking warehouses you would understand why the shipping companies bend over backwards to get the business. They are huge.

Lots of places are listed as Gates suppliers, but few have ever heard of these parts. Usually I got the "you don't know what you're talking about" look. NAPA has the best supply for local needs, but the price and availabilty through MC was much better.

I have had in some cases used a clamp that was one size smaller than what measurements told me. The size break, if memory serves, for the clamps is 1-3/4", the same as Chevy upper radiator hoses.

The Gates removal tool works great. It's really hard to cut the band with a razor blade and not damage the hose. I think you can use a soldering iron and melt the band, but you would need to work quickly or hose damage will also happen.

The clamps are fantastic. I'll never go back to using a worm clamp again. As mentioned above, they are aesthetically clean, but from a functional and engineering standpoint, they have no equal. They also won't rip out a chunk of your arm while working on the car.

BonzoHansen
09-23-2006, 07:17 AM
They also won't rip out a chunk of your arm while working on the car.That alone is worth the price of admission. I have clamp magnets in my hands, it seems.

Steve1968LS2
09-23-2006, 07:18 AM
McMaster Carr has been the best bet for me. By far the best size range in stock and great delivery. And if you saw the size of their stocking warehouses you would understand why the shipping companies bend over backwards to get the business. They are huge.

Lots of places are listed as Gates suppliers, but few have ever heard of these parts. Usually I got the "you don't know what you're talking about" look. NAPA has the best supply for local needs, but the price and availabilty through MC was much better.

I have had in some cases used a clamp that was one size smaller than what measurements told me. The size break, if memory serves, for the clamps is 1-3/4", the same as Chevy upper radiator hoses.

The Gates removal tool works fantastic. It's really hard to cut the band with a razor blade and not damage the hose. I think you can use a soldering iron and melt the band, but you would need to work quickly or hose damage will also happen.

The clamps are fantastic. I'll never go back to using a worm clamp again. As mentioned above, they are aesthetically clean, but from a functional and engineering standpoint, they have no equal. They also won't rip out a chunk of your arm while working on the car.

1. can they hang over the end of the hose a hair to hide the cut? I think this is how it was on the DSE car.

2. the tool looks cool but it looked BIG and Im not sure there's room to move it in place in several places on my car.

3. So you run one size smaller than called for by the measurements if the size is close to a cutoff?

I might do a 1-2 page tech story on this. I know they have been around but I had never heard of them so I'm sure others havent as well.

CarlC
09-23-2006, 09:40 AM
1. can they hang over the end of the hose a hair to hide the cut? I think this is how it was on the DSE car.

2. the tool looks cool but it looked BIG and Im not sure there's room to move it in place in several places on my car.

3. So you run one size smaller than called for by the measurements if the size is close to a cutoff?

I might do a 1-2 page tech story on this. I know they have been around but I had never heard of them so I'm sure others havent as well.

1) Likely you can, but IMO the best way to do it would be to trim the hose so that the clamp would just overlap the end of the hose while still covering the sealing bead on the neck. The band should extend at least 1/4" past the sealing bead.

2) If you want to try mine, no problem. If you butt the hose end against the radiator the tool won't work, it needs some room on the hose end side for the tool to work.

3) You will need to try your measured size and see how well it works. For me, with the current hose and neck size on my car, the 1-3/4 - 2" diameter works fine. With the previous stock hose + brass radiator it was a hair too small for my taste and required a one-size smaller band. Both setups are theoretically 1-3/4" arrangements.

If interested, I can put you in touch with the sales manager for Gates Rubber on the industrial side. He's the one that turned me on to these about seven years ago.

Steve1968LS2
09-23-2006, 10:13 AM
1) Likely you can, but IMO the best way to do it would be to trim the hose so that the clamp would just overlap the end of the hose while still covering the sealing bead on the neck. The band should extend at least 1/4" past the sealing bead.

2) If you want to try mine, no problem. If you butt the hose end against the radiator the tool won't work, it needs some room on the hose end side for the tool to work.

3) You will need to try your measured size and see how well it works. For me, with the current hose and neck size on my car, the 1-3/4 - 2" diameter works fine. With the previous stock hose + brass radiator it was a hair too small for my taste and required a one-size smaller band. Both setups are theoretically 1-3/4" arrangements.

If interested, I can put you in touch with the sales manager for Gates Rubber on the industrial side. He's the one that turned me on to these about seven years ago.

Cool.. thanks!

Steve1968LS2
09-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Installed the stuff today.. very easy to use, although the lettering didn't change color like the instructions said. And trust me.. it was certainly hot enough.

My buddy touched it when hot and it left a 3D fingerprint in the finish so watch out for that (had to cut it off and put on a new one). Brake cleaner took off the ink when we were done.

I like the clean simple look. Oh, you can see the upper hose where we used it to join the middle.

parsonsj
09-25-2006, 05:23 PM
OK, here's my question about these:

Can they be used for metal tubes? In other words, do they remain flexible enough/strong enough to fill a 1/4" to 1/2" gap between two metal tubes?

jp

Steve1968LS2
09-25-2006, 05:28 PM
OK, here's my question about these:

Can they be used for metal tubes? In other words, do they remain flexible enough/strong enough to fill a 1/4" to 1/2" gap between two metal tubes?

jp

hmmm.. i think it depends how much they shrink. the more they shrink the thicker they become and thus stiffer. They are certainly strong.

I do know they are clearly marked as "for coolant hoses only!"

You could order a couple and experiment.. they only cost a couple bucks each.

chicane67
09-25-2006, 05:36 PM
I like the clean simple look. Oh, you can see the upper hose where we used it to join the middle.

Those look pimp. I would expect nothing less from our director of bling........

parsonsj
09-25-2006, 05:36 PM
I do know they are clearly marked as "for coolant hoses only!"That's what I want to use them for ... but I've only seen 'em used as "clamps", rather than custom tight fitting hose.

jp

andrewb70
09-25-2006, 05:43 PM
Those look pimp. I would expect nothing less from our director of bling........

I still think nice stainless T-bolt clamps have more BLING!

Andrew

parsonsj
09-25-2006, 05:49 PM
I still think nice stainless T-bolt clamps have more BLING!Well yeah ... but I'm wondering which is more reliable: a hose and two clamps, or one ultra-tuff hose. I dunno. I should go install my roof rail weatherstrips now. :dunno:

jp

andrewb70
09-25-2006, 06:01 PM
Well yeah ... but I'm wondering which is more reliable: a hose and two clamps, or one ultra-tuff hose. I dunno. I should go install my roof rail weatherstrips now. :dunno:

jp

JP,

Your car really should have a water neck with an AN 16 adapter and a big hose.

Andrew

chicane67
09-25-2006, 06:07 PM

I agree Andrew, but from a different point..... function over form. Carl however, has been running these on his set-up at several events without failure.... so I guess that point is now mute. :pat:

Id say AN20.

Well yeah ... but I'm wondering which is more reliable: a hose and two clamps, or one ultra-tuff hose.

I think any sanctioning body would want to 'see' two clamps, and at least, a small section of hose when using ridigid tube to connect joints. That's if..... you had to worry about a sanctioned (by the rules) event.

In fact, every rule book I have from SCTA, SCCA and NHRA specifically states two clamps on radiator connections.

Steve1968LS2
09-25-2006, 06:08 PM

Andrew

Black is the new bling baby.. I'm setting an anti-chrome trend here.. :bananna2:

chicane67
09-25-2006, 06:10 PM
Black chrome....... maybe ??

Steve1968LS2
09-25-2006, 06:11 PM
In fact, every rule book I have from SCTA, SCCA and NHRA specifically states two clamps on radiator connections.

I guess it comes down to how they define "clamp".. these have been used by OEM and have been proven over 7 years, they yield a more consistent pressue than a typical clamp and get tighter with heat.

Black chrome....... maybe ??

Chrome Schmome.. black, grey and silver is where it's at.. I hope.. lol

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

chicane67
09-25-2006, 06:20 PM
I agree..... it would come down to translation. I would just hope they see it that way too........ I guess keeping some T-bolts in the ditty bag just in-case, while going thru tech, would be good insurance.

Id wouldnt mind running them for the reasons you state alone. That... and they do look bitchen.

datsbad
09-25-2006, 06:21 PM
Black is the new bling baby.. I'm setting an anti-chrome trend here.. :bananna2:

AHH....I think I did that with Fuel a while ago , Its ok to copy me Steve, LOL !!! :worship:

I had those same clamps on my hoses also, never have had a problem since the car was done. I am surprised you never noticed them since you notice detail .

Steve1968LS2
09-25-2006, 06:24 PM
AHH....I think I did that with Fuel a while ago , Its ok to cpy me Steve, LOL !!!

I had those same clamps on my hoses also, never have had a problem since the car was done. I am surprised you never noticed them since you notice detail .

*******!! You stole my idea and just got done faster.. :spam3:

They are sorta hard to see in pics.. I noticed them at RTTH2 on your car and Kyles. Although he just ran them on one clamp. I had first heard of them a few weeks before that and was gonna check into them. It's was cool to see Fuel in person. Pics don't do it justice.

Tomorow we start her up and hope everything doesn't leak! :drive2:

datsbad
09-25-2006, 06:26 PM
Chrome Schmome.. black, grey and silver is where it's at.. I hope.. lol

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

I agree....That engine looks real nice !

parsonsj
09-25-2006, 06:28 PM
It seems many cars are going non-chrome these days. I'd say it's a trend, and will probably make all our cars recognizable as 2004-2008 cars 10 years from now.

I'm outside installing my black roofrail weatherstrips now. :)

jp

datsbad
09-25-2006, 06:28 PM
*******!! You stole my idea and just got done faster.. :spam3:

They are sorta hard to see in pics.. I noticed them at RTTH2 on your car and Kyles. Although he just ran them on one clamp. I had first heard of them a few weeks before that and was gonna check into them. It's was cool to see Fuel in person. Pics don't do it justice.

Tomorow we start her up and hope everything doesn't leak! :drive2:

keep us informed , I bet you cant wait.

67LS1T56
09-25-2006, 06:47 PM
Man that engine looks killer clean. Beautifull, I wish my car that clean.

datsbad
09-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Steve , trying to send PM !!! Clean your box !

zbugger
09-25-2006, 07:05 PM
You guys and your anti-chrome thing.... You both missed. Lest you forget www.zefhix.com.

parsonsj
09-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Ah ... but it has chrome wheels.

jp

myclone
09-26-2006, 02:22 AM

I dunno about all that since us anti chrome/black/brushed alum guys have been patiently waiting quite a while for the rest of you car guys to catch on :idea: . BTW, nice job on the clean install under the hood on Penny:headbang:

Ive been thinking about switching the worm drive clamps over to the heat shrink stuff on my pile for some time since theres a ton of em under the hood with an air to water IC. After seeing the clean look they provided under the hood on Fuel during the power tour Ive slated it as a project (one of the many..ugh) to do over the winter.

Steve1968LS2
09-26-2006, 06:09 AM
I dunno about all that since us anti chrome/black/brushed alum guys have been patiently waiting quite a while for the rest of you car guys to catch on :idea: . BTW, nice job on the clean install under the hood on Penny:headbang:

Ive been thinking about switching the worm drive clamps over to the heat shrink stuff on my pile for some time since theres a ton of em under the hood with an air to water IC. After seeing the clean look they provided under the hood on Fuel during the power tour Ive slated it as a project (one of the many..ugh) to do over the winter.

Hey, just kidding.. I had a large chrome bill on the last car then I started to see how cool the "industrial" look could be. I was lured from the bling side by several cars on here.

The best part (besides the function) of the clamps is that they are cheap.. well, at least till you buy the removal tool :)

parsonsj
09-26-2006, 06:44 AM
I had a large chrome bill on the last car then I started to see how cool the "industrial" look could be. I was lured from the bling side by several cars on here.Welcome back from the dark side. Err, I mean bright side. Or something. :)

jp

J2speedandcustom
09-26-2006, 06:56 AM
Engine looks awesome Steve! We have these on our 69 as well. We had to remove the rad and these things are a B*&$%# to take off! I still can't believe how hard they get once you shrink them on. :worship:

JMarsa
09-26-2006, 07:09 AM
when removing the clamp does it destroy the hose or is that the point of the removal tool?

--JMarsa

myclone
09-26-2006, 07:20 AM
Hey, just kidding.. I had a large chrome bill on the last car then I started to see how cool the "industrial" look could be. I was lured from the bling side by several cars on here.

LOL. I hear ya on the chrome bill. Im just glad the pro street/chrome everything phase is over since I used to feel pretty left out with my brushed alum/black builds. The "industrial look" has been my favorite for years and its nice to see it catch on in the main stream.

The best part (besides the function) of the clamps is that they are cheap.. well, at least till you buy the removal tool :)

Ya know....its one of those things that I never even put any thought into trying since I work with heat shrink every day at my job. Wish I would have thought of it ($$$$) not to mention the amount of time Ive spent cutting then dressing the cut worm clamps down to the proper size so they didnt have a ton of unused clamp hanging off the end to shred your hands when doing any work under the hood.

Anyways, Ive rambled way too much here but props none the less on the nicely done engine bay. Maybe some day mine will look decent enough to post pictures of:lmao:

yellowrallys
09-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Although not near as high tech in the engine dept. as you guys, I'm with you on the non-chrome issue. Chrome is for Harleys.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/09/DSC00193-1.jpg

CliffS
09-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Installed the stuff today.. very easy to use, although the lettering didn't change color like the instructions said. And trust me.. it was certainly hot enough.

My buddy touched it when hot and it left a 3D fingerprint in the finish so watch out for that (had to cut it off and put on a new one). Brake cleaner took off the ink when we were done.

Looks very clean. Did you had to heat all the way around or just a part of the clamps?

BADVELLE
09-26-2006, 12:16 PM
A wise man once told me, "Chrome don't git ya home!":lol:

Steve1968LS2
09-26-2006, 04:09 PM
Looks very clean. Did you had to heat all the way around or just a part of the clamps?

Just part.. the heat transmits. It's probably faster if you can heat all around but not necessary. Just don't touch it when it's hot or it will leave fingerprints.. don't ask.. :candle:

Steve1968LS2
09-26-2006, 04:11 PM
when removing the clamp does it destroy the hose or is that the point of the removal tool?

--JMarsa

That's the point of the removal tool. You can do it with a razor and some patience. You could also slide a thin piece of metal between the clamp and the hose and do it that way (the metal to protect cutting the hose.

We removed one without the tool but I could see it would be a time saver.

Bow Tie 67
09-26-2006, 04:40 PM
Steve, beautifull engine, sanitary, agressive, all buisness. Now of course I'm partial to LSx engines.

I think it's a work of art. ( Nice touch on the silver intake. )

Hey, it looks like your front wheels are on the wrong sides of the car. They are directional correct?

Steve1968LS2
09-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Steve, beautifull engine, sanitary, agressive, all buisness. Now of course I'm partial to LSx engines.

I think it's a work of art. ( Nice touch on the silver intake. )

Hey, it looks like your front wheels are on the wrong sides of the car. They are directional correct?

No, they are on backwards.. we just tossed them on to roll around the shop.. lol (50% chance to get it right.. oh well)

The wheel are getting rebuilt by Forgeline and then my new Toyo R-compounds will be mounted.

Bow Tie 67
09-26-2006, 05:52 PM
R-compound .......... Hmmmm

Can you say G-Force.

My G-Tech logged 1.2 G's at RTTH2 auto-x ( x = road course )

CarlC
09-26-2006, 06:30 PM
That's the point of the removal tool. You can do it with a razor and some patience. You could also slide a thin piece of metal between the clamp and the hose and do it that way (the metal to protect cutting the hose.

We removed one without the tool but I could see it would be a time saver.

Nice work on the engine Steve.

On the thin metal idea, I don't see how it could be installed under the clamp. The clamping force is such that I don't see how it could be installed without damaging the hose or the metal.

Chrome is just too damn much work to keep clean!

BonzoHansen
09-26-2006, 07:10 PM
Black is the new bling baby.. I'm setting an anti-chrome trend here.. :bananna2:Please, I've been anti-chrome for years! This is like when grunge caught up to my clothes closet. :)

chicane67
09-27-2006, 07:07 PM
It seems many cars are going non-chrome these days. I'd say it's a trend....

I dunno..... I have been anti chrome for 18+ years. I guess some are just now catching up ??

parsonsj
09-27-2006, 07:15 PM
I have been anti chrome for 18+ years.Yeah ... so does your 67 Camaro have chrome or stainless molding around the windows? Or is it black?

I'm not talking about valve covers and air cleaners (I've never liked chrome there and I'm older than you :) ) ... I'm talking about wheels and exterior molding (or the lack thereof). That's a trend; that's what's in fashion. At least right now it is. But it will change, and it will date today's cars that are hip to the non-chrome.

jp

chicane67
09-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Yeah ... so does your 67 Camaro have chrome or stainless molding around the windows? Or is it black?

I'm not talking about valve covers and air cleaners (I've never liked chrome there and I'm older than you :) )

:moon: Ohhh.... so you wanna start throwing the age thing around huh. Thats pretty sad old man. :moon: Wadda ya got.... 4 years on me ?? :moon:

Actually.... the 67 doesnt have a whole lot of anything right now. But I do however, have a complete set of new window, drip molding and window felt's in black chrome. Does that count even though its still actually "chrome" ??

parsonsj
09-27-2006, 09:09 PM
a complete set of new window, drip molding and window felt's in black chromeWow! You're hipper than I thought, young grasshopper.

Kidding aside, what exactly is "black chrome"? Ordinary chome is typically copper plated, then nickel, then chromium for the classic "chrome" look. How is black chrome done? Different materials? Different technique? I've often wondered, but never looked it up.

jp

Jimmy Sean
09-28-2006, 04:50 AM
Copied from ask the expert-

1) The terms Hard Chromium Plating, Industrial Chrome Plating, Engineering Chrome Plating and Functional Chrome Plating generally refer to the process of electrodepositing a thick layer (0.2 mils to 30 mils or more) of chromium. Usually, the coating is applied directly to ferrous substrates, like steel, although it can also be applied to non-ferrous substrates. The thick chrome is almost always deposited from a hexavalent chromium plating bath. The chromium deposit is usually selected to take advantage of its desirable properties:

* Hardness
* Wearability
* Corrosion resistance
* Lubricity
* Low coefficient of friction

You can find all kinds of parts that are hard chrome plated. Some of them are:

* Hydraulic rods and cylinders
* Aircraft jet engine components
* Diesel cylinder liners
* Pneumatic struts for automobile hatchbacks
* Shock absorbers
* Aircraft landing gear
* Railroad wheel bearings and couplers
* Tool and die parts
* Molds for the plastic and rubber industry

2) Decorative Chromium Plating and Bright Chrome Plating generally refer to a different process, whereby a thin layer (sometimes 50 millionths of an inch) of chromium is deposited for appearance or non-tarnishing purposes. It is usually deposited over a layer of nickel, or copper + nickel. I'm sure you are familiar with the kinds of parts that are bright chrome plated:

* Car and truck bumpers
* Zinc die-cast emblems (remember the "Chevy/GMC K5 Blazer"?)
* Motorcycle parts
* Kitchen appliances

There has been a strong movement away from hexavalent decorative chromium baths, to the newer trivalent chromium baths. The trivalent form of chromium is considered to be less toxic.

3) Black Chromium is a specialty chromium coating, which has a black color instead of the usual silver color. It is often used in solar applications, where it enjoys a high solar absorbance and low thermal emittance. It may also be specified for aesthetic reasons.

parsonsj
09-28-2006, 05:53 AM
The expert knows a lot more about hard chrome and decorative chrome than he does about black chrome. :)

What does specialty chromium coating actually mean? Anybody know?

jp

Pirana
09-28-2006, 10:04 AM
Can't find it anywhere.. webserch kicked my butt and all I got was Europe sites I couldn't read.

So where can this be bought??? I liked the look on Stacy's (DSE) Camaro.

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=927&location_id=546

Thanks

Could you please copy me the link of the european sites?

thanks,Louis

68camaro396
09-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Try this

http://www.gates.com/automotive/distributors/index.cfm?location_id=539

CliffS
09-28-2006, 11:15 AM
Could you please copy me the link of the european sites?

thanks,Louis

Louis,

My buddy in St. Louis can get them easily. He will sent me a couple overseas if I can't find them overhere.

Ralph LoGrasso
09-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Please, I've been anti-chrome for years! This is like when grunge caught up to my clothes closet. :)

Exactly. I'm only 20, but I've been against the chrome trend since I was first into cars. I just never liked it. When I bought my Tahoe, I specifically searched for the sport model for 4 months becuase I didn't like the enormous chrome grill standard on the regular model. My '68 won't have chrome anywhere: bumpers, trim, moldings, motor trim, etc.

Also, I think the lack of chrom has been influenced by late models as well. How many performance cars of the last 10 years had any chrome whatsoever?

Pirana
09-28-2006, 12:48 PM
Louis,

My buddy in St. Louis can get them easily. He will sent me a couple overseas if I can't find them overhere.

Thanks Cliff,i'll take some measurements and give you a call.

chicane67
09-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Kidding aside, what exactly is "black chrome"?

I definately couldnt tell ya. I got it done from the same company that did my spare Snap-on KRL1003 trim. Got a deal too good to pass up when I got my extra drawer trim done.... my snappy dealer threw it in for me.

Kinda looks like this :

ProTouring442
09-29-2006, 01:38 AM
I think chrome should be like jewelery, it's an accent not the product! I have dechromed quite a bit on the 442. I will even be powdercoating the huge wrap-around whindshield moldings (it's a convertible) then painting them.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"

thedugan
07-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Steve when you joined those 2 clamps were the hoses outside OD the same?

Did you use anything to strengthen the hose or was the clamp enough?

shmoov69
07-17-2008, 06:59 PM
HOLY OLD POST DRAGGERS!!!

Sorry, I have no usefull information.......like usual! LOL!:wedgie:

Steve1968LS2
07-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Steve when you joined those 2 clamps were the hoses outside OD the same?

Did you use anything to strengthen the hose or was the clamp enough?

The upper hose?

Yea, same hose but I took a section of of the middle. I got a piece of pipe and did the flare bump (can't remember what it's called.. like what a radiator end has)

Slid that in each end of the hose and joined using two Gates thermo-couplers.

Voila!

Did that help?

go-fish
07-18-2008, 02:57 AM
Black chrome? Hose clamps?

Steve1968LS2
07-18-2008, 06:26 AM
Black chrome? Hose clamps?

They are more of a black plastic sleeve that shrinks down and clamps the hose.

Very clean look and they cost about $3 each.