PDA

View Full Version : Front Disc Question.......

Smoke'm
11-09-2004, 03:48 PM
Front Disc Question..Ok Guys not up to full speed on all the mods....I have a question is the the drum brake spindles and hubs used on the larger brake conversion all the time..or is this a economical method to do the conversion...sorry if this has been covered before....I did a search and did not find the answer..if this is correct what are the rotors,calipers,brackets needed.

Thnx Bud

Andrew McBride
11-09-2004, 05:26 PM
are you talking about the C4 and C5 corvette brake swap? It can be thought of as a economical method for sure. It is almost the exact set-up that baer offers. Dual piston calipers with 13" rotors or you can run 12" C4 rotors.
I am not for sure what you mean: "I have a question is the the drum brake spindles and hubs used on the larger brake conversion all the time."

-Some kits come with complete brake kit w/ new hubs but require use of your existing drum spindles, or using another spindle-such as a 2" drop or something.
If you are looking into doing the C5 or C4 brake swap check out David Possi's web and check with www.speedtech-performance.com -they have a forum you can post or call for more info. Speedtech are great people to deal with and very helpful.
they make a bracket for either C4 or C5 disc brake swap. C5 calipers with C4 rotors is a good route because the C4 rotors are a bit smaller to allow better clearance for wheels. With the hubs you have to machine down the outer diameter of the stock hub "not for sure the measurement" to allow the swap. Good luck hope I covered what you were asking!

Andrew

Smoke'm
11-09-2004, 08:12 PM
cool thnx..I have two drum brake setups and normally toss them as no-one wants them...I read by accident a post somewhere about a guy useing the drum hubs and thought I would ask to get my facts straight.

Thnx Bud.

Ralph LoGrasso
11-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Wilwood brakes also use the drum spindle. Baer may as well.

dhardison
11-10-2004, 05:28 AM
Touring Classics' brake kits (http://www.touring-classics.com/) use the stock drum hub as well. The overall diameter of the hub has to be turned down to 5.90" to accomodate the C4/C5 rotor I.D.

Dan

rwhite_692
11-10-2004, 11:49 AM
You can consider this a very do-able project, using the Speedtech brackets, as Andrew described, is how I also did my front C5 claiper/C4 rotor conversion. Photos at the link below...

Hugger1
11-10-2004, 05:56 PM
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but anyone know if you can use the Speedtech bracket mentioned above with a C5 caliper and a 12" C4 rotor? I need a combo that will fit 16" Vintage Wheel V45. Sounds like that's what Andrew is stating, but just wanted to make sure. I tried calling and emailing Speedtech, but could not get a response. Thanks.

Andrew McBride
11-10-2004, 06:59 PM
yes it will work, but keep in mind the C4 rotor is smaller than the 13" C5 rotor, but the C4 rotor isn't exactly 12", it is a little more.
Speedtech makes a bracket just for this set-up also -(C5 calipers, to C4 rotors). http://www.speedtech-performance.com/Brakes/C5%20brakes.php
I am not a 100% that the brake kit will work with the 16" wheel vintiques. You can print off a diagram to measure with your wheel at www.touring-classics.com

Andrew

jjump59
11-11-2004, 07:31 AM
Touring Classics has the brackets you need, they will return your e-mails also. i used them and am impressed with the customer service.