PDA

View Full Version : Modifying stock pedal locations?

ilovefirstgens
09-21-2006, 12:36 AM
Well my car is finally done (thanks Vince(mrquick) and Allen!(zbugger)) however there one BIG problem when I try and drive it. The clutch and brake petals are both WAY too close to me, i have to put my knee to either side of the steering wheel just to push either one in!

My question is it feasable and more importantly safe (with the brake atleast) to have the throw start further down so that i can drive comfortably. The throw on the clutch is insanely short (are all t56s like that) id say about 4" so i would assume thats more than safe enough. As for the brakes, i have a hydroboost rig on there and i barely got a few inches of use out of it (probably 10" to spare) so is it alright if they are modified?

Also a side note, the car kinda died on me (ill get into that later) but long story short i ended up on a pretty good hill that has no curbs, just a cliff and after sitting for over an hour the hydroboost still had enough power to use the brakes regularly! I had heard some say the nitrogen reserve was bs, but I can honestly say it may have saved my cars life (i have no e brake)

TLWiltman
09-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Not an expert, but just a thought. It seems that it would be easier to move the steering wheel aft (thus, the seat as well) as opposed to moving the pedals forward.

parsonsj
09-22-2006, 07:21 PM
How much room do you have between the pedals and the floor when they are fully depressed?

jp

ProTouring442
09-23-2006, 01:49 AM
Not an expert, but just a thought. It seems that it would be easier to move the steering wheel aft (thus, the seat as well) as opposed to moving the pedals forward.

On this note, if your car has a GM tilt wheel, it would be very easy to install the parts from a telescopic GM column. You basicly just change out everything from the pivot pins out. This will make the column a good bit longer enabling you to move the seat further back.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"

David Pozzi
09-23-2006, 07:42 PM
On power assisted brake systems, the brake pedal should be between 4" and 4 1/2" from floor kickup to lower edge of brake pedal. This is from the factory assembly manual. The pedal will sit lower than the clutch pedal.

If you still don't have enough room, the seat can be moved back using a spacer bar.