PDA

View Full Version : Crimping A/C hose ends?

whytry
09-18-2006, 07:33 AM
Is there a special tool to do this or what do I need to do? I have the Classic Auto Air kit, if that makes a difference... I thought it would not since the hoses are the same. How do I connect the black rubber hose to the hose ends that screw into the various parts (compressor, condensor, etc)....

THX

MrQuick
09-18-2006, 10:00 AM
You can go either way, the sell kits to crimp and they do sell special clamps to hook it up. Did you try calling Classic Auto Air for recommendations?

How is it going up there? Nice country yeah?

Blown353
09-18-2006, 10:16 AM
What kind of fittings?

Most new fittings are of the beadlock style, in which case you need a beadlock crimper. Not a cheap piece of equipment. It's basically a press with changeable jaw inserts for the different fitting sizes.

Beadlock fittings have the straight steel ferrule on the outside of the hose, look somewhat like this:
http://www.achoserepair.com/fittings.html

And the crimping tools look like this, they are press-type with jaws that put several crimps all around the circumference of the ferrule. Depending on how fancy you get they come either in screw-style (easy to use by hand or better yet with an impact) or hydraulic style.
http://www.rbsobsolete.com/product.asp?Product_Id=171007&d_Id=17182&l1=17177&l2=17182

Being that they cost around $450 the best bet is to find someone who has one and borrow it... or testfit all your hoses and fittings, use a sharpie to mark the clocking of the fittings then take them to a shop and have them crimp them.

What is your timeframe? I have access to one and could probably swing by to help... there are some fun roads up around 49 I haven't driven in a while so I could take the long way home...

rockdogz
09-18-2006, 12:35 PM
I cut my hoses and then took them with the fittings to a local shop to have the fittings crimped on with the special tool.

whytry
09-18-2006, 01:45 PM
Hey Vince, it going well, house is done, finally getting the Camaro painted and now I just got a 66 Nova for FREE!!!!!! Now if I can only get a LS2 and T56 for that price.... When are you and Allen coming this way?

Blown353- timeframe is not that crucial, car is in body shop until the end of the month, but I am planning on heading down there this week to atleast drill the holes and test fit the lines through the inner fenderwell to keep in cleaner. So I guess as long as I can run the lines through once its painted

whytry
09-18-2006, 01:47 PM
OOPS!!! (CONT) I would like to get it done sooner rather than later, but really whenever you find yourself heading up this way..... Maybe if my car's done I'll give Jody a hollar as well and we can go out and have some fun....I am sure between the 2 of you all of my questions will be answered on the Procharger fine tuning.....

Blown353
09-18-2006, 02:48 PM
I am sure between the 2 of you all of my questions will be answered on the Procharger fine tuning.....

It's either that or it will be non-stop bickering. LOL! :Alchy:

I might be headed up to Placerville next weekend for a German car show a friend is putting on; I would be in the area to swing by. Just need to see if I can borrow the tool, I'll ask this week. With summer winding down all the A/C repairs on the truck fleet should be complete-- so I should be able to snag it for a day.

whytry
09-19-2006, 07:32 AM
Sounds good to me!! Let me know if its a go, I am mocking up the A/C this week and should have it ready for crimping whenever you make it up here....

MonzaRacer
11-09-2006, 12:58 AM
Dont scrimp take them to a local hydralic line shop. Most of them also do AC lines too. Are they Galaxy hose(ie rated for R134A).
The Galaxy hose and proper fittings has to be installed as the Galaxy hose (and other brand of barrier hose) have a neoprene liner to keep refrigerant in.
Dont try to do it wrong, get professional help if you can.
Lee Abel

2yellow69
04-15-2007, 07:14 PM
:headbang: i know i'm a little late to this thread but fyi: every state has a CATERPILLAR dealer and they can make a/c lines however you want them to be. i know some guys at the dealer in Denver and they said it's no problem.
matt