PDA

View Full Version : New Spal Fan Controller

19topless69
09-18-2006, 04:50 AM
Spal has a new pulse width modulated fan controller.
It seems similar to DC control unit and less money
anyone use it yet? Thanks

porschev8
09-18-2006, 11:21 AM
I had one on my car and it worked great.

porschev8
09-18-2006, 11:24 AM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gifhttps://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Pro-Tour Heavy Chevy
10-20-2006, 02:32 PM
HAs anybody used these with 2 fans. I have 2 Spal 12in fans I want to control and am torn between the DCC unit and the Spal Unit

martZ
10-20-2006, 03:18 PM
The Spal unit will only control one fan w/pulse width modulation it has a triggered out put when the pwm fan reaches max temp. You then can hook up another relay to turn on another fan. The DC Control unit will run both fans with pwm. http://www.spal-usa.com/fans/automated/tech_sheets/FAN-PWM.pdf

gmachinz
10-21-2006, 09:42 PM
We stock the new Spal PWM controllers-you must use a relay for a secondary fan with the spal-the PWM circuitry is rated to handle 35 amps. The DC Controller is rated at 35 amps also. The DC Controller allows you to run two fans in parallel but at the same speed-the Spal requires a relay to run a second fan so you have some flexibility-meaning one fan is your primary cooling fan with the second only turning on at the temperature you set the controller to. You have a low range and a high range to work with-most time your second fan will never be on unless you use the AC over-ride feature of course. Keep in mind that a large single fan will be much more efficient at keeping your engine temps down. The Spal unit is nice in that it uses weatherpak style connectors for a good secure connection everywhere. The DC Controller unit is lower in profile so it can be mounted in tighter spots-cool if you want to keep the engine compartment un-cluttered.

Pro-Tour Heavy Chevy
10-26-2006, 08:00 PM
I've been seriously considering the Spal unit cause of the companies reputation for quality and I already have there fans. Though the DCC has earned a good rep through this site. The reason for the 2 fans is that they gets me more coverage than a 16 and the MK VIII didn't look or fit right on the 28" wide rad. Beside the dual-Spal-12HD's pull so hard they suck in small children.

73z-6sp
10-26-2006, 08:34 PM
I vote for the Spal even though I havent used one personally. I have never gotten my DC controller to work properly and I have given up on it and went with an adjustable relay. Atleast it works like its supposed to.

FWIW... the slim design of the DC controller also means it takes up less space on my shelf too. :)

Just cant bring myself to throw it away for some reason. It looks "cool" I guess.

67 455 Bird ragtop
05-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Can you connect this controller to the stock temp sensor on my 67 Firebird or Autometer sensor ???

PARKERRS
05-11-2007, 05:14 AM
I've got one on my second gen. Camaro and it works great. Aluminum radiator from Northern radiator with alum. shroud and 2 eleven inch spal fans. My problem is that when the temps are under 50 you can't keep it at operating temp, never thought I'd build a cooling system too efficient. Also it uses a temp sender for late model GM fuel injected cars that is wired to the controller alone.

67 455 Bird ragtop
05-11-2007, 05:47 AM
Well if necessary I can add a bung to my radiator tanks for this sensor while I'm adding the mounting brackets. I don't have another place to install a water sensor with my current gauge configuration.

gmachinz
05-11-2007, 02:35 PM
If possible, place the bung either on the radiator tank down low by the lower hose or put one in the arm of the water pump. This way, you get the heat transfer taking place through the fin area well before the fan(s) need to kick on. If you're using AC though, there's still no getting around the over-ride though with the Spal. It's still pretty flexible though.

bdoobie69
05-14-2007, 08:07 AM
I just spliced right into the signal wire for my stock temp sensor. Seems to work great.