PDA

View Full Version : Competition Cams Belt Drive

rocketrod
11-08-2004, 10:04 PM
Has anyone used a Comp Cams Belt Drive (wet belt system) in a SBC? I found one locally for sale for $180 which includes a Cloyes 2 piece timing cover, which I was getting ready to buy. Both items are in excellent condition and sell for a little over $470 new at Summit. It sounds like a pretty good deal but I do not know what the pros and cons of a belt drive setup are. Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rod

Lowend
11-08-2004, 11:27 PM
I don't really believe in fancy timing set-ups. They are generally more trouble than they are worth.
Think of it this way, have you ever seen a broken Double Roller Timing Chain where the motor didn't gernade first? I haven't.
Spend $100 for a Torrington Bearing Double Roller Timing chain and will cannot go wrong

ProdigyCustoms
11-09-2004, 08:40 AM
Personally I would run one if the budget allows. A belt is much smoother then any chain, and certainly a smoother than a gear drive. The belt will transfer the least harmonics. Also, the belt is infinitely adjustable for degreeing, especially the external units as you can get right to it without removing anything. Makes cam degree changes as simple as jet changes on the dyno or at the track.
However, with all that said, a Cloyes hex adjust will give you easy adjustability, and will be fine in most mer mortals motors.

TurboLark
11-09-2004, 12:07 PM
I was told by the tech at Comp Cams NOT to run the belt in a street/long running vehicle. He said for a drag car fine. Reason he gave was that the belts just dont last all that long. He set me up with a good chain.

DB Z28
11-09-2004, 04:26 PM
I been running jesel for about seven years , no problems on the street yet. I change my belt out about 5000 miles jesel says to change it at 10000. Has a slight whine noise from it from the cog belt.

gmachinz
11-09-2004, 04:32 PM
Personally, I feel a belt drive falls into the "not really needed" category-same can be said of an electric water pump, but I have a hard time believing the belts used in Comp Cams kits are not designed for everyday use. They aren't really any different than stock timing belts by Gates, Goodyear, etc. Most stock belt driven drivetrains require inspection and/or replacement @ around 45,000....60,000 miles maximum. A chain will most likely never break, but they do stretch which will lead to them tearing up cog gears. Conversely on a belt drive, the cog gears will tear up the belt. So unless you are running some serious ignition requirements for say, a ton of nitrous or a high powered dedicated turbo application, I would say go with a chain drive. If optimum timing/valvetrain control is at the top of your list, then go with a belt drive but go with a dry system so you can see the condition of the belt to gauge whether it needs replaced or not before you "suddenly and violently" realize you should have done it. -Jabin