PDA

View Full Version : C5 Header Odyssey

Varkwso
09-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Jake broke the exhaust in the 1999 Fixed Roof Coupe (FRC) C5 last Saturday at the dragstrip - first pass before the 60' mark - wheel hop induced. I looked at it as an opportunity to update the exhaust system since there were several welds in the system getting ready to "go" and the FRC is a little light in the horsepower area anyway. After much shopping, comparison, soul searching and spousal begging I ordered the Dynotech Supermaxx system on Tuesday through TByrne Motorsports. They were at my house on Thursday - life was good so far.

I had set up the use of a lift to put the header system in. It was not available on Friday (my original plan was to put the car on the lift so it was good and cold Saturday AM) but it was available starting at 0800 on Saturday. I spent Friday gathering up all the tools on the required and optional list, plus about 100 others - just in case, and reviewed the instructions.

Saturday 16 Sep

0731 Convoy of FRC and Suburban support vehicle depart the home fix. Weather cool and dry.

0747 Convoy arrives shop location.

0759 Gates get opened.

0759-0832 Shop area opened , cleared of pallets of plywood, moved 90 RS Camaro (non-running of course), engine lifts, lawnmowers and put FRC on lift.

0833-0942 Cool down time for FRC and refuel time at Waffle House for the mechanics.

0943-1131 Old system stripped from car - only issues was getting the dang plug wires off and getting the driver side exhaust manifold out of the car (required moving coil pack rack out of the way). Left on passenger side valve cover on (contrary to directions) and did not loosen the starter. Dave comes by to check out progress, took a look around and said something about getting me and Jake to put his headers on when the time came. Bob came by with much sage advice about drilling holes for wire placements - nice info if I had a drill handy.

1132 -1414 Installed passenger side header (PSH) - required removing passenger side coil packs, loosening starter and "persuading" the AC line out of the way. First install of PSH went great. Then Jake said "oops" :hand: - an expression that fills my heart with joy normally - he left one of the starter bolts out and now it did not fit past the header. So we take the PSH off to get the starter bolt back in - required removing all the header bolts and naturally the gasket hit the floor (important later). Jake gets the bolt in and I reinstall the header - carefully threading in the header bolts. At this point I am beginning to look like an understudy for the Tinman in a Wizard of Oz play from the patina of anti-seize covering my body. Naturally, I drop a few header bolts in the process. One manages to disappear into the nether world as we cannot see (or feel) it in the car anywhere - despite significant search time - but it did not make it to the floor:dunno: . All of this puts me in a great mood. Driver side header went in with some persuasion of some wiring harnesses along with the required blood rituals and incantations. Weather now humid and hot.

1415-1439 At this point a run to Burger King was deemed appropriate. Hey, we had coupons

1440-1534 Loose fit installation of cats, extensions, O2 sensors and X-pipe.

1535-1605 Final fit of muffler section, cats, extensions and X-pipe - or so I believe.

1606-1629 Buttoning up the motor - alternator, belts, plugs, coil packs, etc. As the last plug on the passengers side is attempted to be installed we hit a snag - it won't fit. Remember the gasket that come loose in PSH install number two? I managed to install it backwards:hand: . Words cannot describe the joy I felt at that moment.

1630-1745 PSH install number 3 and buttoning up the passenger side for the second time. You think we would be getting good at it by this time but keep in mind it is now hooked up to the exhaust system....I am tired and, just possibly, not as cheerful as I could be.

1745-1805 The real final fit of muffler section, cats, extensions and X-pipe - at least for Saturday.

1806-1845 Fire up FRC, reconfiguration of shop and pick up of tools. Jake and I unable to push dead Camaro back in shop.

1846 Depart shop

1901 Arrive home

Lessons Learned

When you are not working in your shop - the tool you did not bring is the one you need. For example, an offset 1/2 inch combo wrench leaps to mind.
The forward O2 sensor on the drivers side header is making contact with the tunnel tray and I will need to relieve that area by drilling or hammer when I install the ZO6 muffler section this week.
A one piece X-pipe and cat section is much preferable.
The wiring routing is very tight around the headers and I am not sure I have all the space I need for that yet - a flashlight would have been nice to have. Double checked that today - still would like to have some more air gap.
Reworks can frustrate and delay progress.
Drink more water.
I am still one header bolt short.
Jake said there was a severe vibration under acceleration on the drive home. I trouble shot it today and it is a tight fit around the rear crossmember causing the problem more than the O2 sensor contact under the car - will fix it when I put in new muffler section
Car sounds much, much better and Jake says power and torque significantly up.
Next header install will go much quicker.
Will be hitting Roebling in 12 days for three days of track time need to have it fixed!

Kenova
09-18-2006, 07:00 PM
....... At this point I am beginning to look like an understudy for the Tinman in a Wizard of Oz play from the patina of anti-seize covering my body............

:lol: Oh man, that stuff is truly evil. I just touch the tube and I have it up to my elbows.:eek:
Ken

WS6
09-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Vark where in GA are you? Next time you want headers give me a call I can help you with not only a good price but really good headers. The SuperMaxxx system is not bad, but it's known to fit very tightly in places. PM me and I will give you the info.

Don't feel too bad though. I have done too many C5 systems to count. I had one the other weekend that wanted to strip it's factory installed Denso O2 sensors. This car is an 04 with 7k miles on the odo. I have never had a car strip it's O2s on removal. No one carries the 04 sensors not even GM. So this turned out to be a lot of fun. All these cars are different sometimes they play nicely other times they don't.

Good idea on doing headers. One of the best modifications you can possibly due to a C5 and any LS engine actually.

Varkwso
09-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Vark where in GA are you? Next time you want headers give me a call I can help you with not only a good price but really good headers. The SuperMaxxx system is not bad, but it's known to fit very tightly in places. PM me and I will give you the info.

Don't feel too bad though. I have done too many C5 systems to count. I had one the other weekend that wanted to strip it's factory installed Denso O2 sensors. This car is an 04 with 7k miles on the odo. I have never had a car strip it's O2s on removal. No one carries the 04 sensors not even GM. So this turned out to be a lot of fun. All these cars are different sometimes they play nicely other times they don't.

Good idea on doing headers. One of the best modifications you can possibly due to a C5 and any LS engine actually.

I am near Augusta, GA. The FRC I put them on has 124,000 miles and is run at track events 2-3 weekends a month. One of the rear O2 sensors tried to strip out on me - I was able to get it back in but it is probably the last install it has in it.

I have had the issue with the 04 ZO6 sensor not being available....

The headers seemed to have really helped in the midrange torque (needed for a roadcourse car especially). It is noticably "quicker" than before - but it still does not equal my ZO6.....

The Supermaxx are better than Kooks for installation....my only other data point!

Varkwso
09-20-2006, 12:47 PM
:lol: Oh man, that stuff is truly evil. I just touch the tube and I have it up to my elbows.:eek:
Ken

:thankyou: I am glad I am not the only one who gets coated with that stuff - I was like a King Midas silver edition!