PDA

View Full Version : GM Steel Crank

onewickedcamaro
09-14-2006, 07:47 PM
I am going to tubo charge a 355 sbc. I have a standard steel GM crank will it hold up to 1000 HP?
Thanks

rocketman
09-14-2006, 07:58 PM
No,You really need to consider a forged crank,has as eagle,or callies,I have seen guys turbo a stock crank,but in my opinion it's just waiting to break.

EFI69Cam
09-16-2006, 04:04 PM
I think he said its a steel crank. That would mean its forged. I'd run that stock crank long before I stuck a POS chinese eagle crank in there.

The Callies dragonslayer is a US made 4340 non twist forging. That would hold up. They do have problems breaking the snout off in supercharged apps, so you might want to consider getting the BBC snout on it.

rocketman
09-16-2006, 05:54 PM
I use Eagle and Callies cranks,And have never had problem with a Eagle crank.

Bandit
09-16-2006, 05:58 PM
scat

rocketman
09-17-2006, 09:54 AM
They bad thing about a GM steel crank,they aren't not 4340 they are weak steel crank,A gm cast crank is steel.

As a engine builder my exp with Scat have not been good ,we have broken more scat parts,than any other.I advice is not to use a Scat.

Bandit
09-17-2006, 10:21 AM
They bad thing about a GM steel crank,they aren't not 4340 they are weak steel crank,A gm cast crank is steel.

As a engine builder my exp with Scat have not been good ,we have broken more scat parts,than any other.I advice is not to use a Scat.

OK so for a bulletproof forged crank then, what do you suggest?

rocketman
09-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Well if price is not a concern Callies,If not Eagle.

MonzaRacer
11-10-2006, 05:21 PM
actually stock cast cranks are cast iron in designation but have elevated carbon levels making them a ******* yet I do know my old boss had a stock GM steel 1051 crank in his drag car with twin turbos. and it lived till the block (stock GM) gave away.
But as for cranks I have built many engines with Eagle, Scat, Callies, Crower, etc.
My present 3 customer engines going together are using Eagle ,Callies and Crower.After breaking 4 scat cranks ew figured they work for lower power engines but not big power.
As for Scat and Eagle, the Eagle cranks are made in an old forging factory that used to make titanium forgings for Mig knock offs and Eagle set the bar so high for its tollerances that the worst crank is so far above the specs its unbelieveable.
While some people keep saying buy American ,when presented with choices some people just cant afford some higher end domestic stuff.
It seems that when parts go global in production most people forget we have been using a lot of taiwan/mexican/chinese parts for years and never complained till it rusted or chrome peeled.
When presented with good products made cheap we buy, and we have to face it.Well some dont and some just pop out the "Buy American" slogan. But when it comes to dollars down buying ,we just buy what we have to.
The only problem with buying outside America is that the other compnay doesnt compete as fairly nor do they buy tha same amount as we do.
Oh and the next time you have someone toss out the American label go check and see if they have a set of overseas made Goodyear tires.
Anyway , you can use a properly preped GM steel crank and it will live for a time with proper harmonic dampening, I would use ATI super damper and get it balanced properly and for a rod i would recomend Oliver. you cant go wrong with them. And they are about as bullet proof as you can get for rods. We have only trashed rods on journals that broke on every engine that failed for what ever reason.
Proper timing control and fuel mangment is the key.
But for reliability/longevity you should jump up to a better crank. Its like this re you going to use stock cast flat tops to make said 1000hp, no well build it to live at 1350 hp and it will never break.
My engine building theme is to build it so the max output would be around 80 to 85 percent of the "rated " capacity for the longblock to withstand.
Good Luck
Lee Abel
AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

Gordz32
11-10-2006, 11:17 PM
Billet Crank?

Turbo Hen
11-11-2006, 02:31 PM
I think i'd be worried about the mains walking around in a stock block before the stock crank gives out....

Especially a steel GM crank if prepped well will outlive the block by far.

1000HP is not THAT difficult to make with the right turbo on 355 cubic inches.....think about what you want, 1000HP vs longevity

-Carm

Turbo Hen
11-11-2006, 02:33 PM
BTW i use the Eagle rods w/ L19 rod bolt upgrade & many others as well. They'll pretty much take anything you can throw at them, and are in many 8 & a few 7 second cars. Eagle themselves rate them @ 1200HP +

They will survive, but are heavy, so keep the piston speed down (more stroke) and you'll be alright.

-Carm