PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of Satchell Link Rear

MuscleRodz
11-08-2004, 09:55 AM
Well, it didn't take much to throw out the Chevelle rear. I was already wavering anyway. I still would like to use a Satchell link rear just purpose built. I would like to discuss the benefits of this design in this thread. I don't think it has been discussed enough in order to make an educated decision about using it.

Here is the limitations I have. Lower control arms will mount in the same location as the leafs mounted but with new mounting brackets. Frame rails have been straightened to 32" front to back. I have installed a 2"x3"x.187 crossmember right where the rear floor and trunk pan meet behind the seat (Look at might site for pics if need be). I don't mind minimal intrusion into the ****pit and along as it does not further hinder the rear seat.

I understand basic suspension design and theory but get start to get lost when numbers become involved. I don't have a program to play with to help me in that area yet. Hopefully we can use this thread to come to a better understanding of the Satchell link rear end. Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

airrj1
11-08-2004, 10:12 AM
Mike,

Checkout http://66.70.234.198/forum/showthread.php?t=203

Dennis started talking about the Satchell Link suspension about 3/4 of the way down the page. The first post about it was (8/4/04 5:35 pm).

Hopefully that will help.

MuscleRodz
11-08-2004, 03:23 PM
I have read Dennis' thread on 3 link inside and out. It does not go into any real depth other than mentioning its possibilties. I have also searches CC.com and not much on Satchell over there either.

Mike

dennis68
11-08-2004, 03:32 PM
I thought that Preston built a Satchell on his Mustang, posted some nice pics. It came out real nice. I don't think he had any tech on it yet.

TurboLark
11-08-2004, 06:25 PM
After looking thru some pictures I now understnd what the Satchell link looks like. It's the design many people use when doing a 4 link in the rear of a Rockcrawler truck/buggy. The main reason it is used is to reduce/eliminate rollsteer over upwards of 24"+ of wheel travel. Other than that it seems to be just a 4 link. Same bind problems if you use stiff bushings. I think it all comes down to just getting the links the right length, with the right bushings/bearings in the ends, and the positions above/below the axle.

baz67
11-08-2004, 09:00 PM
Mike to clarify, as it is unclear, do you want to keep and use your rear seat?
Brian

MuscleRodz
11-08-2004, 09:07 PM
Yes I want to keep the rear seat. Something about children wanting to go for a ride when finished.

Mike

baz67
11-08-2004, 10:59 PM
Thanks Mike, I saw that in your other post. I just forgot to update this one.

dennis68
11-08-2004, 11:22 PM
I knew I would find it, Jag over at c-c.com built a Satchell for his Jaguar, check it (http://forums.corner-carvers.com/showthread.php?t=18020) out. 10" RRCH is not too bad with a 100% AS.

MuscleRodz
11-08-2004, 11:41 PM
I have seen that thread in the past. However, when I just did a search over there, it did not come up for some reason.

Another question. Is there any reason why I can't converge the upper arms instead of the lowers?

Mike

dennis68
11-08-2004, 11:44 PM
Converging the uppers sets the RRCH way too high.

68ls1wannabe
01-30-2007, 01:20 PM
I've been searching and reading for 3 days. Has anyone succesfully completed a satchell in a 1st gen camaro. Should i stick with the idea or just go back to leafs?