PDA

View Full Version : PCM / gauge cluster help needed:(

J-Rod
11-07-2004, 10:16 PM
Hey folks, Jared here...

So I've been spending the last 3 years of my life, off and on, putting an LS1 out of a 99 camaro into my 68 camaro. Somewhere along the line I decided that taking an entire wiring harness, dash, console, and seats out of a 99 camaro and putting it in my 68 would be a great idea. Yeah.

Anyway, everything works so far...i have courtesy lights where I've never had em before, I have working power plugs in my console, I even have working daytime running lights! Which brings me to my issue:

I have no working gauge cluster. I plug it in, and all that comes on is the seatbelt light. Now's where it gets a little tricky; the engine, PCM, full wiring harness (minus the under dash harness) and gauge cluster all came out of the same 99 camaro. The dash and dash harness however, came out of a 98 camaro. I've taken a look at the dash harness gauge cluster plug, and from what I can tell it looks like it has one more pin than what the 99 cluster needs. I could just buy a 98 cluster, but Ive read here and there that this will not work with my 99 PCM.

I'm going to go over all the main ground points again, make sure that every bit of this harness is properly grounded, but, as always, I'm expecting the worst. Shouldn't the dash harness between years be the same? If not, shoudl I just pick up a 99 dash wiring harness? This may be the wrong forum for this, but I'm to the point where I'll post this on the mustang forums if I can get some insight! (ok ok not really).

Thanks in advance for any help:)

Jared

68LSS1
11-08-2004, 12:13 AM
I'm betting that the dash harness might be able to be used but will need to be repinned. I think the '98's are a little different on everything as far as the wiring. '99 and up would probably work. I suggest getting with John at Speartech and he would know of the top of his head. Other than that I have the '98 Helms books so I could scan and email you some wiring diagrams.

J-Rod
11-08-2004, 02:57 PM
I'm betting that the dash harness might be able to be used but will need to be repinned. I think the '98's are a little different on everything as far as the wiring. '99 and up would probably work. I suggest getting with John at Speartech and he would know of the top of his head. Other than that I have the '98 Helms books so I could scan and email you some wiring diagrams.

Brian, you're a lifesaver. I email John and am waiting for a response, but that would help me a GREAT deal if I could get those wiring diagrams from you. I have all the 99 helms manuals, I could do a direct comparison then. One other thing I was thinking of is the Body Control Module. The one that came with the dash is a 98, do you think this has any direct affect on the gauge cluster? It seems as though everything else that runs through the BCM is functioning properly.

My email is [email protected]

Thanks again, and if you ever happen to be in the HB, CA area, beers are on me.

Jared