PDA

View Full Version : TH350 Dip Stick Tube Seal

next69
09-05-2006, 01:25 PM
I have a 1970 Nova with a TH350, it is leaking from the dip stick tube seal so I thought I would remove the retaining bolt, pull the tube and replace the O-ring but I can not get the tube out of the transmission.

1. I was wondering if there is a way to get the tube out without moving the motor from the mounts?

2. I also read that there are two different dip stick tubes: the old one with an O-ring and the new one with a rubber seal and the main difference between the two being the base diameter where the tube goes into the transmission. Will both of these tubes work on any TH350 as long as you use the appropriate seal?

HILROD
09-07-2006, 04:36 PM
You can use the newer style in older trans. Be sure to get the tube, stick and the seal. FRANK

next69
09-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Thanks HILROD that is good news, does anyone know of a way of removing the dip stick tube without moving the ingine forward? I hope there is some trick because this is a lot of work for a O-ring!

zbugger
09-09-2006, 04:17 PM
There's a tab that holds it to the engine. It's one of the bellhouseing bolts. You have to remove that to be able to pull the tube out.

next69
09-10-2006, 02:14 AM
Thanks Zbugger but I have already removed the bell housing bolt, I am having a clearance issue in my attempt to remove the tube. I have the tube pulled out far enough to se the top of the O-ring but I beleive there is about another inch before it is out completely and the tube is hitting the top of the trans tunnell.

HILROD
09-10-2006, 06:43 AM
Usually you can get them out. If not you may have to let the subframe mounts loose. You could try letting the passenger side down and see if it'll come out. FRANK

next69
10-23-2006, 03:47 AM
I finally got the chance to get the tube out, I had to lower the front of the engine about an inch and remove the tube from underneath. I went to a NAPA and ordered a new tube that used the grommet but the bell housing mount is on the wrong side and the tube is 4" longer than my original. Does anyone have a P/N for the correct tube or the name of a vendor that offers the updated tube?

GBodyGMachine
10-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Lots Of Silicone