PDA

View Full Version : short

jolt
08-16-2004, 12:47 PM
I have a trunk mounted battery with power going from the positive post of the starter to the junction block with a 30 amp in-line fuse.
(1969 camaro)
All harnesses are new and everything works EXCEPT, when I plug in the main light switch, the 30 amp in-line fuse blows. Even with the switch in the off position.
Anyone else experience anything like this? I am no electrician, but I can not find a short anywhere. Just looking for any suggestion.
Thanks! -Jolt

andrewb70
08-16-2004, 05:46 PM
Is it a bad switch maybe?

Andrew

jolt
08-16-2004, 07:19 PM
Andrew.. Bought a new switch (I thought the same thing) - same result. With the harness plug hanging loose , all is normal and works.
You plug the switch into the harness... Zap!

I am baffled. Thanks for the suggestion though. - Jolt

68LSS1
08-16-2004, 07:40 PM
There is definately a wiring problem if no short then. With you blowing a 30 amp fuse as soon as you connect the switch there's a wire going to ground somewhere or some thing isn't wired right. Can yo back probe with the switch hooked up and battery disconnected? Set a digital multimeter to continuity and check all the wires to ground. Or can you make a pigtail and connect the wires one by one until you connect the wire that is causing the fuse to blow?

zbugger
08-16-2004, 08:39 PM
What harness are you using? Stock, or aftermarket?

gchandler
08-16-2004, 11:11 PM
When you connect your switch you are putting a live wire to ground. If I am thinking correctly the body of the light switch is grounded to the dash so maybe you are making contact with the body of the switch when you make your connection.

Also double check your connections.

Take a continuity tester and with the power cable unplugger connect the tester to the lead on the light switch and a known good ground. If there is continuity then you know that is where you problem lies.

gchandler
08-16-2004, 11:23 PM
Another thought,
The dome light circuit has a pathway to ground, it is possible that you have the dome light wire connected to the wrong post in the switch.

jolt
08-17-2004, 07:24 AM
... All harnesses are factory (new).
I will try these suggestions...... THANKS- for all the advice. I will be out of town this weekend , but I will let you guys know what I find when I get back. Thanks very much! -Jolt