PDA

View Full Version : Duramax Turbo

Kenova
11-07-2004, 12:29 PM
I came across a GM press release extolling the improvements on it's Duramax Diesel. It may be of some interest to those who would like to scrounge up a turbo(s) for a cheap turbo motor. This is some of what it said:

"When mated with the Allison 1000 Series automatic transmission, the new engine produces 310 horsepower at 3000 rpm. Even more dramatic is the improvement in it's pulling power - torque has been increased by 85 to a class-leading 605 lb.-ft. at 1600 rpm."
" The key to this performance improvement is a variable nozzle turbocharger that has a series of adjustable vanes that direct the exhaust gases into the turbine blades. Sophisticated electronic controls use engine oil pressure to open or close the vanes, which varies the amount of boost pressure."

I know that these turbos have been around for a decade or two and probably aren't seen or heard of much because of the cost involved. Their use on production engines may make them more available. The big question on my mind :hmm: is their potential. If one of these turbos can move enough air to churn out 605 lb.ft. of torque at 1600 rpm on a diesel, how much power and torque could they pump out on a gas engine?
Does anybody have an educated guess?

Ken

OHCbird
11-07-2004, 06:08 PM
You probably know this, but diesels make that power down low mainly due to the dynamics of the diesel process, and because thier fuel has a much higher BTU rating.

Typically, TD turbos have a much higher A/R on the turbine housing than an equally sized gasoline engine- hence the common swap to a smaller A/R along with a 'shorter' trim turbine wheel. The VNT on the Duramax can be adapted- but won't be optimized without considerable expense. In other words, it's probably easier to spend a tad more to get a purpose-built turbo.

But hey- we're tinkerers, right?

JamesJ
11-08-2004, 08:56 AM
The new Powerstroke uses the same type of turbo, my 6.0 will get up to 27# of boost.

Fuelie Fan
11-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Huh??

HHV of gasoline = 47.3 MJ/kg
HHV of light diesel = 46.1 MJ/kg

OHCbird
11-08-2004, 11:29 PM
FF-

I've seen many different #s floating around as far as LHV and HHV; most sources run around 115K-125K (LHV to HHV) for gasoline, and 130K-133K for diesel (not Biodiesel). Being more dense, they make more with less.

JamesJ- The PS uses a Garret GT37R derivative; a pretty good unit.

Pro-touring towncar
11-29-2004, 07:11 PM
From what I saw on one of the other turbo sites is the diesel turbos are good for low rpm systems, like deisels. But for a gas a single deisel turbo would be too small. best to go with twin turbos when using diesel turbos.

Anyone know where I can get a pair I want to twin turbo the town car

shmoov69
11-30-2004, 08:03 PM
SVO Mustang (2 of them), later GN's (2 of them), early T-bird turbocoupes (2 of them).