PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest source for dse roll bar?

ilovefirstgens
09-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Well yearone used to have them for $500 but now theyre up to 650. Did they set the price at that or is there still anywhere that theyre cheaper. :fingersx:

Or any place that stocks them in norcal???

datsbad
09-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Well yearone used to have them for $500 but now theyre up to 650. Did they set the price at that or is there still anywhere that theyre cheaper. :fingersx:

Make it yourself, by far a lot cheaper that way

ilovefirstgens
09-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Make it yourself, by far a lot cheaper that way

lets see....

Welder: $1000
Welding lessons:$600
The ones i mess up before i get it right: $500-10,000

I would have one of the universal jiggers thrown in there but I want the fancy cnced removable cross bar and pre made mounting plates, since every blue moon i want to be able to throw people in the back seat and not have them die when I hit a red light.

And in the time it will take me to learn to properly weld something as important as a roll bar I will have sold the car.

Edit: Plus the car isnt pro touring until it has something from dse in it derr!

camcojb
09-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Contact Marquez Design. He's a DSE dealer and stocks some of their stuff. I know he's installed a few of those units, he may have one in stock. He's in West Sacramento.

http://www.marquezdesign.com

Jody

Steve1968LS2
09-03-2006, 01:39 PM
lets see....

Welder: $1000
Welding lessons:$600

I would have one of the universal jiggers thrown in there but I want the fancy cnced removable cross bar and pre made mounting plates, since every blue moon i want to be able to throw people in the back seat and not have them die when I hit a red light.

And in the time it will take me to learn to properly weld something as important as a roll bar I will have sold the car.

Edit: Plus the car isnt pro touring until it has something from dse in it derr!

Try GP Superstore.. they might have a great price.

I know of a shop down here that could fab one and install it for ya but that's 400 miles.. lol

ilovefirstgens
09-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Haha yea, I would drive down there but having the car off the road is a big enough pain in the ass where I live, and being 19 I can't even get a rental car!

And I just realised that state sales tax will be similar to shipping, so back to the cheaper place idea.

Bill Howell
09-03-2006, 02:46 PM
lets see....

$10,000. Now that is a lot of messing up......:lmao:

ilovefirstgens
09-03-2006, 03:03 PM
$10,000. Now that is a lot of messing up......:lmao:

Oh trust me I would find a way!! (probably by lighting the car on fire and having to replace the entire interior)

And its good it dosent involve fluids otherwise it would leak too:doh:

TonyHuntimer
09-03-2006, 03:58 PM
You could spend less on getting a generic Competition Engineering hoop and making the rear downward bars. Then you have to fab your own floor plates.

If you live in my area (like your member info says) then you're going to pay a shop a lot more than that in fab time and materials.

The cost of the DSE bar is taking the guesswork out of fabricating...it's a rollbar that actually is made for your application. It will give you as much room as possible in the car by being a better fit to the interior and back glass. It comes with the floor plates and trunk plates that will fit without having to cut your own.

Either way, shipping is not cheap.

If you're still stuck on making your own, you can get most Competition Engineering hoops and bars or even complete cage kits delivered to Speed Merchant for $8.

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

ilovefirstgens
09-03-2006, 04:04 PM
You could spend less on getting a generic Competition Engineering hoop and making the rear downward bars. Then you have to fab your own floor plates.

If you live in my area (like your member info says) then you're going to pay a shop a lot more than that in fab time and materials.

The cost of the DSE bar is taking the guesswork out of fabricating...it's a rollbar that actually is made for your application. It will give you as much room as possible in the car by being a better fit to the interior and back glass. It comes with the floor plates and trunk plates that will fit without having to cut your own.

Either way, shipping is not cheap.

If you're still stuck on making your own, you can get most Competition Engineering hoops and bars or even complete cage kits delivered to Speed Merchant for $8.

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

Hmm... If i were to get the comp eng main bar and say have you guys make the rear bars and crossbar and install it all how much would that set me back? And hell while im at it some dse sfcs. That is assuming you still work there. Also we met at the last pleasanton good guys show a few months back.

Ive actually had my car there before for a dyno tune, but as it turns out my "engine builder" didnt machine anything and it was knocking like a mofo.

zbugger
09-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Oh trust me I would find a way!! (probably by lighting the car on fire and having to replace the entire interior)

And its good it dosent involve fluids otherwise it would leak too:doh:

I can second that one.....

Anyway, if you want the DSE bar, check with Marquez. On top of being a great shop, he's a great guy.

camcojb
09-05-2006, 03:17 PM

I spoke with Pascual today, he has one for a lot less than $650.

Jody

MStennes
09-05-2006, 03:51 PM

Jody

One or more than one, like two?:twothumbs

camcojb
09-05-2006, 05:23 PM
One or more than one, like two?:twothumbs

As many as you need.

Jody

ilovefirstgens
09-05-2006, 05:30 PM

Jody

DIBS!!

Thanks for finding out, now just to figure out how to transport that thing in the back of an audi....

MStennes
09-05-2006, 06:17 PM
To bad they only make coupe bars, I was thinking of modifing one to fit my vert, possible?:hmm:

tumper93
09-07-2006, 09:27 AM
You also might want to check into S And W roll bars. There are a few guys with those over at camaros.net and the like them alot. My neighbor also has a friend with one and said that it fits like a glove and needed no modifications, just weld it and go. Their roll bars are also a lot cheaper and they are quality pieces. I have checked into all the routes out there for my 68 and this seems to be the best one.

ilovefirstgens
09-07-2006, 10:17 AM
You also might want to check into S And W roll bars. There are a few guys with those over at camaros.net and the like them alot. My neighbor also has a friend with one and said that it fits like a glove and needed no modifications, just weld it and go. Their roll bars are also a lot cheaper and they are quality pieces. I have checked into all the routes out there for my 68 and this seems to be the best one.

odd... since this was recently said here

If you are looking for something that fits really nice, then I suggest you stay away from S & W race car roll bars. I had a 10 point put in my 67 Camaro, when I was going to race back in 2000. S & W race car cages are designed from a kit. Building roll bar for a pro-touring car is different, because the main purpose of the car is to drive. Now if you want a race car look, and since it is cheaper then go with S & W race car cages. I never liked mine and that is why I eliminated it. Jason Huber has really cool cage in the Fuel. That to me is more of pro-touring cage.

Jeff

But at this point it looks like im gonna have Marquez build me a custom 6 point.

mdprovee
09-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Take pictures Brian and let us know how it turns out. This something I am looking into for my car.

zbugger
09-07-2006, 01:04 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ProdigyCustoms
09-07-2006, 02:15 PM
We use S and W, add a swing out kit and you are in there. Fits nice.

Ralph LoGrasso
09-07-2006, 02:19 PM
What's the cost of the Marquez kit?

ilovefirstgens
09-09-2006, 04:34 PM
What's the cost of the Marquez kit?

Well I dont think its a kit, though I could be wrong, Ill post pricing when i get my quote.

We use S and W, add a swing out kit and you are in there. Fits nice.

No way im dealing with that on a daily driver, its already gonna be a pain getting girls to deal with a harness.

ProdigyCustoms
09-09-2006, 05:19 PM
We just remove the down bars on the street

Ricoch3T
09-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Did you ever get your quote? I'm in the market for one, or either bend one up myself. If theres a kit thats pretty nice and is functional for the street I will look into it.
Will be looking into S&W, although I see they don't list just a 6 point.

Well I dont think its a kit, though I could be wrong, Ill post pricing when i get my quote.

No way im dealing with that on a daily driver, its already gonna be a pain getting girls to deal with a harness.

vanzuuk1
09-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Photo of the s and w kit in the car?

ilovefirstgens
09-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Did you ever get your quote? I'm in the market for one, or either bend one up myself. If theres a kit thats pretty nice and is functional for the street I will look into it.
Will be looking into S&W, although I see they don't list just a 6 point.

I just got an email that he will send me pics and a quote soon, looks like he is totally swamped, which is no suprise. You guys will know as soon as i do.

Marktat
09-19-2006, 07:46 PM
Stennes, I'm currently putting a JEGS 8-point roll bar kit in my 67 convertible. I decided to install it to permit use of shoulder belts, increase rigidity and increase general safety. After scouring every convertible with bars I decided to jump in. Nobody appears to make a convertible kit so I took a chance on JEG’s Camaro coupe kit. The main hoop is installed and fits better than I ever expected. I’m using these generic Jegster bars for the front which we are currently test fitting.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/09/550940008-1.jpg
The back bars will need custom bending and will go over the back seat or along the side of the seat (haven’t decided yet). I want to keep the back seat functional so I’m using a Chris Alston removable bar kit for the crossbar. The install is inspired by NHRA rules and should pass NHRA tech if not for the removable crossbar and Jegster front bars. So far the floor plates were the biggest hassle and need lots of fabrication if you want them to follow the floor and look good. I would post pictures but wife managed to loose our new camera. I will get another camera and post pictures in the near future if anyone is interested. By the way, I seem to recall the DSE kit does not use NHRA legal diameter tube, but I’m not sure.

Ricoch3T
09-22-2006, 01:54 PM
By the way, I seem to recall the DSE kit does not use NHRA legal diameter tube, but I’m not sure.

You know I didn't even catch that when I was looking into their bar a while back. It seems they use 1 5/8 x .134... I think the nhra standard for mild steal is 1 3/4 x .134... Its been a while since i've thumbed through a rule book but I believe thats what it is.

So far I think i'ma go with s&w and just use the main hoop and back bars. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I want to make the cross bar removable or not.

autokraft
09-22-2006, 02:57 PM
Yep, NHRA specs call for .118 wall on 1 3/4 mild steel, however the tubing available is .134 wall so that's what people use.

If it were me, I would use 4130 moly to save some dead weight that way you can get away with .083 wall.

Kurt

www.autokraft.org

Ricoch3T
10-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Does anyone know where to get a removable bar kit similar to the alston kit except for 1-3/4 x .083 moly? I've looked around at a few places but I might have to end up just using the s&w kit anyway

vanzuuk1
11-15-2006, 07:32 PM
anyone have pics of various bars installed, for comparison?

Marktat
11-16-2006, 04:15 AM
I have a few pics of mine here:
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=93955