PDA

View Full Version : suspension balance - 1st Gen Camaro w/ coil overs

c4racer
08-30-2006, 09:58 AM
I have a 69 Camaro with the WD front clip. I do not know for sure, but I am assuming the springs are ~350lbs in the front coil-over w/ Carerra shocks.

Rear set-up is stock mono-leafs and a small sway bar, guessing in the 3/4" range, plus very old Koni Reds.

Problem: the car gets bouncy on bumpy surfaces and high-ish speed - typically only above 45mph and more pronounced above 55-60. There is a section of road near my house that is bumpy in the middle of an off-camber corner that I hit at ~55-60mph and I can hear and feel the front tires losing traction. Granted the tires are very old and need to be replaced - 6 year old Mich Pilot all seasons, so not sticky rubber by any stretch. I am running 235-45-17 front and 255-45-17 rear at the moment.

Could the soft rear suspension with the combo of old worn out mono-leafs and old worn out shocks be causing this situation? I am thinking replacing the shocks and springs is my first order of business before trying to go further with diagnosing and tuning to solve this issue. Any thoughts, experience or theories out there?

baz67
08-30-2006, 12:00 PM
I would tend to agree that new shocks and springs are in order. The bouncing is more of a function of the shocks not being able to control the springs.

c4racer
08-30-2006, 03:08 PM
That is what I was thinking too - and I am assuming the front shocks can control the springs since it is an integrated coil over unit and that assembly has about 4K miles on it only.