PDA

View Full Version : Got a new toy last night......

strangler
08-30-2006, 07:26 AM
I have never played with forced induction before, but there is no time like the present, right?

DeltaT
08-30-2006, 12:08 PM
That's the old-style V-1 with straight blade impeller. I think you can have Vortech upgrade it. If you're thinking about putting it on your 396, it's a little small so you'll only get around 7-8 pounds of boost with an upgraded unit. I'm not sure what you'd get if you ran it the way it is now. Something lower.

Did you get a good price on it?

Jim

strangler
08-30-2006, 05:35 PM
It is going on my 402, which is already 10.2:1, so Im kind of welcoming the low pressure. Like I said, this is my first use of +pressure, so 3-5psi should be enough to help my 781 heads work, without melting everything. If I like the way this goes I will build a blower-dedicated engine and have this unit rebuilt or upgrade altogether. This V1 has 1/2 hour of dyno time on it, and I traded a trap shotgun worth $1000.

DeltaT
08-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Cool. Good luck. I have a brand-new Spearco intercooler that would fit in your Chevelle nicely if you are interested. If you design it in first, it will give you headroom to upgrade the blower safely later.

Jim

strangler
08-31-2006, 06:51 AM
with such low boost pressure, do you think an intercooler will even be useful? Cold air is always better right?

Oh, and I really, really like your Malibu.

DeltaT
08-31-2006, 07:56 PM
Sure, cooler air is always better. Plus if you plumb it in now, when you upgrade the head unit - maybe to a D1SC - you will be all set to start jacking up the boost safely.

Thanks for the compliments about my Mali! I'm having fun with her...

Jim