PDA

View Full Version : Best donor car for engine/tranny/brakes for 68 Camaro?

Rileys68Camaro
08-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Is there a best, or even single, car to get this stuff from? Is there a list somewhere of what fits?

Should I be looking for a 2000 newer(older) Camaro or GTO or something? I'd love an LS-6 or -7but that's too new. Even a stock Camaro with a motor that easy to find parts for and build power with a cam swap or something not involving a complete tear down. And it'd be easier to put a blower on.

SOmething as a package of parts more or less, without having to custom fab everything or special order everything.

I'd like as new a motor and all the stuff to include the A/C, LS-1?, as I can and something like a 4L60E but I need brakes and seats and whatever I can get.

Most importantly, is this a good way to go? Not too real hard or expensive? Is this a lot harder than I think?

I want to end up with a pro-tourer, with a good motor that has lots of speed parts, available at least, a good tranny, 4 wheel big breaks, decent seats and is reliable above all. I don't have the money to buy new, and I'm only slightly above average mechanically inclined.

Thanks, this forum has been a big help.

Rileys68Camaro
08-29-2006, 12:47 PM
And if possible, I'd like to get a T-56 rather than an auto if I can get it cheaply enough. I have no console to worry about and I can jst get a electric speedo.

bookends
08-29-2006, 02:38 PM
I just bought a complete but totaled 2000 t/a for $2800 the motor has 40K miles power leather seats the works

Mr.VENGEANCE
08-29-2006, 02:51 PM
why you parting it out bookends?

BonzoHansen
08-30-2006, 09:05 AM
I just bought a complete but totaled 2000 t/a for $2800 the motor has 40K miles power leather seats the works
That is a damn steal. How do you even find a car like that? Luck? I never see them.

Nine Ball
08-30-2006, 12:20 PM
98-02 Camaro or Trans Am would be your best bet. Quite a few wrecked ones out there.

-front seats work well in a 1st gen (rear mounts need modifying a little)
-brakes are good, about the same as 97-04 Corvettes
-engine/tranny is good
-wiring harness and radiator can be used
-some guys have used the fuel pumps on modified 1st gen tanks
-steering rack is the same one used for the BRP 1st gen kits
-just about anything you don't use can be parted out and sold on ebay.

bookends
08-31-2006, 05:46 PM
I'm selling parts off of it but I'm keeping the drive train the abs system and the front seats. I found the car on craigslist which by the way is a killer site. I just wanted to mention it because people think these cars are sooo expensive but realistically they're not expensive at all for what you get.

BonzoHansen
09-01-2006, 06:49 AM
Did all LS1 F-bodies have total courtesy systems? Like a key fob to lock/unlock doors, trunk, panic, DLR with a sensor to turn the light on at dusk (my Intrigue has this, I have never used the HL switch), temp power after turning the car off, all that stuff? I want to retro fit all that into my 67 and I am beginning to think buying a whole runner and killing it like Tony said might be the way to go.

bookends
09-02-2006, 08:28 AM
there were a few stripper cars that didn't but the vast majority had keyless and all the extras, they all had the auto headlights (98 - up camaros)

bookends
09-02-2006, 08:31 AM
I'm planning on using the ats spindles but does anyone know someone I can talk to about swaping the rest of the abs system?