PDA

View Full Version : Vortec 8.1----tell Me What You Think So Far

65chevelle''ss''
08-29-2006, 12:56 AM
I'm building a Vortec 8.1 to put in my '65 Chevelle. This is where I'm at so far....

HEADS

-Exhaust ported and bowls cleaned up
-Went from stock 1.74 exhaust valves to Manley 1.88 stainless
-2.19 intake

BLOCK

-Decked
-Line bored
-Balanced
-Eagle rods
-Stock 4 3/8'' crank
-BHJ balancer
-JE pistons (9:1)
-Comp Cams hydraulic roller w/560's lift

For the engine management I've got the FAST setup. I'm gonna be running the stock Vortec manifold. To be honest I really don't know alot about engines. I'm wondering what kindof power I'm going to be looking at with this setup??

Any ideas?
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/08/809936_31_full-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/08/809936_32_full-1.jpg

MarkM66
08-29-2006, 08:26 AM
Sounds like a pretty good set up to me. I'm just not sure if that stock intake manifold will be restrictive or not.

If not, should be at least 500 hp, and lots of torque. Just a guess..

65chevelle''ss''
08-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Sounds like a pretty good set up to me. I'm just not sure if that stock intake manifold will be restrictive or not.

If not, should be at least 500 hp, and lots of torque. Just a guess..

We were thinking the same thing about the manifold. What about this??
http://www.azspeed-marine.com/496macopa.html

Would it be as restrictive you think?? This is the only company I have seen making stuff for the 8.1, it's not very popular for some reason????

65chevelle''ss''
08-29-2006, 07:34 PM
I was hoping to make at least 500-600 hp with this setup???? Supercharging it is definitely an option I'm considering as well. Kenne Bell and Whipple both make them for the 8.1

LowBuckX
08-31-2006, 09:24 AM
I just curious did you start with a salvage yard motor? And what did the salvage yard charge for it.
My buddy has a duelie with the 8.1 and it is fast for a heavy beast.

65chevelle''ss''
08-31-2006, 08:18 PM
I just curious did you start with a salvage yard motor? And what did the salvage yard charge for it.
My buddy has a duelie with the 8.1 and it is fast for a heavy beast.

I actually bought it off Ebay about 2 years ago from a guy back East. It was originally pulled from the truck due to a warranty issue.... I paid 500 shipped to Oregon from Chicago. It was a complete motor top to bottom. I took it directly to a local machine shop and had all the other work done to it. So far it has turned out great in my opinion. I can't wait to hear it run!!!!
T

Skip Fix
09-02-2006, 06:24 AM
My thoughts would be getting a little more lift. Either 1.8 rockers or a bigger cam. Those BBC like lift. Shoot alot of the LS1 guys use cams with .600 for "street" cars all the time. Keep the duration where you want the rpm curve. But with that big a motor anything should idle like Grandmas Caddy.

That Arizona intake is bad looking, but shoot I would think a custon sheet metal from Hogans would be cheaper!

TD509EFI
09-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Here's a site that specializes in 8.1 performance parts:

www.raylarengine.com

Parts aren't cheap, but if you really want to wake up that 8.1, it's the way to do it.

Leadfoot1
09-11-2006, 05:15 AM
Where is the drooling smilie?????

Awesome. But Mark Street and Performance convinced me that the best idea is to stay with my LS1.

As a ref, the place where i could have got the engine wanted 2k for the complete motor less starter and alt. It was out of an 01 Savanna (panel van).

Man those Procharger units are expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lead.

EFI69Cam
09-11-2006, 11:23 AM
How much different is the block than a conventional BBC? Could a set of conventional heads be used? The coil per plug ignition on that engine is cool.

xx_ED_xx
11-18-2006, 06:48 PM
I just sold one of these and did lot of research cuz i considered using it. You can use a ls1 carb conversion ignition box. They both have the same firing order and use the same wiring and coil packs. I was going to use a megasquirt system to run the injection. Its considered a gen 7 bbc and no the heads wont match up. I intially was going to put some big oval ports on it when i got it. the 8.1 has 6 head bolts on each cylinder unlike gen 4 5 and 6 motors. also 3 head bolts are in different locations due to the symetrical ports. Bore is stock 454 but comp height is different. rod length is 6.700 and stroke is 4.370 and there internal balance unlike 454's. And it is a tall deck. Anything else you need to know just send me a message..

65chevelle''ss''
02-21-2007, 07:55 PM
Here's a site that specializes in 8.1 performance parts:

www.raylarengine.com (http://www.raylarengine.com)

Parts aren't cheap, but if you really want to wake up that 8.1, it's the way to do it.

I haven't been on the forum for a bit... This is the info. I have been looking for though!! Thanks alot bro.
T

Ricoch3T
02-22-2007, 06:35 AM
My thoughts would be getting a little more lift. Either 1.8 rockers or a bigger cam. Those BBC like lift. Shoot alot of the LS1 guys use cams with .600 for "street" cars all the time. Keep the duration where you want the rpm curve. But with that big a motor anything should idle like Grandmas Caddy.

That Arizona intake is bad looking, but shoot I would think a custon sheet metal from Hogans would be cheaper!

Thats true, lot of people going big lift it seems like now a days.. heck I run .603/.603 in my Lt1 street car.. Its not bad

I think someone talked me out of a new model big block also but I do like the looks of your 8.1 setup.. keep the pics coming!

pdq67
03-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Jakeshoe, over on MadMike's NastyZ28/SGCOG site had one and can fill you in about their differences vs our older engines..

I toyed w/ the idea of using onna their 4.37" stroked cranks in a .060" over, 502 block to come up w/ a chea--, er, eh, inexpensive 563.5" engine.

Jake said it was too much trouble so I dropped that idea.. But kept the idea of using a 4.375" crank in our old blocks!!

pdq67

65chevelle''ss''
12-28-2007, 06:35 PM
So i'm still considering my intake options here and I have what is probably a stupid question. Will the ls7 intake work with my 8.1?
If so, would it breathe better then the 8.1 manifold? Sorry if it's a silly question but I thought I would at least ask..

Or should I just stick with the Hogan, AS&M, or Raylar options?
Any ideas?

xx_ED_xx
12-29-2007, 04:18 AM
ls7 wont fit.

Raylar is your best bet for price.

And yes i considered using the 8.1 crank in my 454 .060 over would make a 510. But again its not a forged item.

My big block silverado is almost ready to go i cant wait

9.5-1 aluminum headed GMPP 454 with marine fuel injection (think ramjet) but uses vortec 454 intake. ht 502 cam 42 pound injectors

:slap: in a 04 SCSB silverado :)

65chevelle''ss''
12-29-2007, 10:53 AM
ls7 wont fit.

Raylar is your best bet for price.

And yes i considered using the 8.1 crank in my 454 .060 over would make a 510. But again its not a forged item.

My big block silverado is almost ready to go i cant wait

9.5-1 aluminum headed GMPP 454 with marine fuel injection (think ramjet) but uses vortec 454 intake. ht 502 cam 42 pound injectors

:slap: in a 04 SCSB silverado :)

Thanks for the info ED.

I thought it was a long shot but figured I'd better ask at least. Lets see some pics of that beast!! Once it's "ready" you need to post up some video clips! Give us a lil something!!

I guess I'm gonna stick with the Raylar stuff then. Honestly I know this motor will be sick when it's done.....it just sucks your limited on your options in terms of the aftermarket. Not alot of company's making stuff for the 8.1 :( Makes me want to scrap the whole idea (and a ton of money I have invested) and go with an LS motor. AGH!! :seizure:

xx_ED_xx
12-29-2007, 03:52 PM
:santa3:
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/general-discussion/technical/296155-my-marine-volvo-big-block-adventure.html

Some gibberrish about my swap :D

1nkred1ble
05-11-2009, 02:34 PM
hey buddy, hows the progress going????
im thinking about doing the same thing to my 70 chevelle. But im a little gun shy till i hear some feed back from ppl who have actually done it. What Hp/Torque Numbers are you expected? and what heads did you decide to go with?

65chevelle''ss''
05-21-2009, 08:28 AM
Hey guys I'm looking to sell this engine now. Does anyone know of any good sites I can place it for sale? Maybe a fullsize truck forum or something? Let me know if you know of any sites. Thanks

xx_ED_xx
06-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Yeah I am in the same boat as you. Imma finish setting up my supsension with the 8.1 and then going to a bigger big block since raylar is such a joke on price etc