PDA

View Full Version : Pusher and puller at the same time

70ptta
08-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Hey I have a 72 TA with a poncho 462. It is cooled by an electric puller fan behind the radiator and an electric pusher fan in front. It doesnt over heat but Id like to know if it will help changing them both to either pushers or pullers. Some people say if its not over heating leave it alone but I just picked up a griffen rad. and Id like to look for a shroud to go with it. What to do for best results?

porschev8
08-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Two puller fans properly shrouded will work best.

70ptta
08-26-2006, 08:28 PM
some where i read that if i reverse the wires going to the front pusher fan it will spin the opisite way making it a puller. is there any truth to this.

gmachinz
08-27-2006, 08:45 PM
True, for most two wire fans that will work. -Jabin

70ptta
08-28-2006, 07:38 PM
Im going to try this

gmachinz
09-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Without going too deep into compressed fluid dynamics ( Baskin has a nice write up on his site about this) and heat transfer, it's my experience that a large, single fan will cool more efficiently than dual fans-though they do have their place for instance running one as a primary and the other as a secondary (or AC) but the overall run time can be high and when triggered off relays, amp draw can become an issue. I prefer single fans with a speed controller. -Jabin

MonzaRacer
10-31-2006, 01:09 AM
If you have 2 fans why not use them to thier best advantage.
NEVER place them on top of each other as the dissimilar speed will have them fiting and overstress the motors.
One rule is never over lap more than 1/2 at most and 1/4 to 1/3 is best if th have too.
My suggestion is if you have 2 good fans is set them up in stages. while a 2 speed fan is great if you dont have one or cant afford one, 1 or 2 single speed fans will worf fine.
I would set up the puller as my thermostatic fan either on a set sensor or an adjustable one, they both work. your car should be able to cool with one fan of a reasonable size (10-12 in).
The second I would set up with a speed sensitive switch if you dont mind the added expense or on a throttle switch that makes it come on at idel/slow speed and add on a fail safe (read :higher on temp and add on a overrdie switch you can activate if you want)switch.
I have ran Electric fans from Grand ams for years and never had a problem in cooloing till i went to wone of the fancy aluminum shoruds with a fan on it.
i am going to take off the flex fan and replace my radiator in my C10 (since I installed my R model front end) in next few days Ill try to illustrate my install and get a few pics.
If you want a good idea on wiring your fans give me a PM and I can detail how you should do it so it works properly and cools good.
Lee Abel
AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE:smoke: