PDA

View Full Version : Picking a welder...tig..mig?

Stangonline.com
08-24-2006, 07:00 PM
If you had to choose the most flexible welder when it comes to restoring a car (sheetmetal repair, chassis fabrication, roll cages), what would it be? I've been checking out some of the TIGs out there because I eventually want to weld some aluminum too. Speed isn't as much of an issue as I have a lot more time than money (well, maybe a LITTLE more time).

I'm just trying to avoid buying 2 welders. If im going to need two anyway - then I guess I'm looking for a good suggestion on a MIG?

z28orshoot
08-24-2006, 07:18 PM
IMO the lincoln Precision TIG 185 is not a bad choice. it will give you the option of stick or tig and the consumables are easy to find. it will handle chassis fab to alum welding and has a decent price. about $1600 ish. welds great and willl penatrate 1/4 (tig) as well. more than enough for auto shop work.

sorry i cant help on the mig i have a Millermatic 175 and am very pleased with it. i dont use it very much sicne i got the PT 185.

either way get a 220v or greater. better Duty cycle and better performance (arc stability)than 120v units.

Matt@RFR
08-24-2006, 07:31 PM
MIG will do everything you want if you're talking about aluminum 1/8" and thicker. You'll need a spoolgun at minimum for that though. TIG only falls short on body work type stuff.

Just face it, you'll end up with both eventually anyway. :)

SicMonte
08-24-2006, 08:16 PM
ok...I have a hobart handler 120 mig. nice lil welder. Im new at all this welding stuff so dont laugh...but what are the advantages to a tig over a mig? what can one do over the other??

I have mig welded before (a monkey could mig weld)...and I took a class on stick welding (pretty much useless)...but i have no clue about tig. If I was to get a beginner one....what would you all suggest? I really want to get better at welding b/c I have some major ideas for my car....

Matt@RFR
08-24-2006, 09:58 PM
I can't find any of my posts before April of this year, but I know I've talked about your questions before. What you're asking can get pretty in depth and I'd rather find my old posts on it.

Ralph?

Stangonline.com
08-25-2006, 02:23 AM
I've read quite a few scattered threads on other sites regarding this, and have formed SOME opinions on the matter. I wanted to ask here because I believe the percentage of people who actually do thier own work (here) is higher. :)

Thanks for the replies do far. Guess I could just tell the wife that everyone says I need two welders :)

The only negative thing I've heard about TIG is that it generates a lot of heat and can warp body panels...but so can MIG, right?

Jeff

SicMonte
08-25-2006, 03:47 AM
oh yes. If you have a mig turned up to high...it can warp and even burn through panels very easilly......dont ask me how i know this.

parsonsj
08-25-2006, 04:29 AM
Buy a MIG to start. Get a real MIG welder with gas shielding. I'd recommend you buy one of the name brands, like Lincoln or Miller. Buy it from a local welding supply store (watch for sales), and establish a relationship with them; you'll need gas and consumables.

Lincoln and Miller send reps out all the time and hold open houses at such places and you can try out welders and get some hand-on tips for usage and such. Later, when you're ready, (or when your wife has forgiven you for the first welder purchase) buy a TIG machine.

jp

SicMonte
08-25-2006, 07:10 AM
stupid question. I have a hobart 120...that has flux core wire in it. It had gas, but my dad changed it over. I still have the bottle...and the set up. What do I need to do to get it back to gas...and why would i want to use gas over the flux core?

parsonsj
09-08-2006, 04:34 AM
Sorry guys, I'll have to pay more attention. Matt has left (permanently, he says) so we'll all have to pick up the slack for these welder questions.

why would i want to use gas over the flux core?Have a look here (www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/articles/content/migvsfluxcored.asp).

jp