PDA

View Full Version : Thorley Headers???

69Rathead
11-04-2004, 09:06 PM
It may have been on the old forum but it seems as if someone once posted something about Thorley headers and that they fit really well...can't remember if they were long/short or what engine application they were referrring too does anyone remember who posted or what application it applied to? Thanks for any info!

TurboLark
11-05-2004, 07:19 AM
It may have been on the old forum but it seems as if someone once posted something about Thorley headers and that they fit really well...can't remember if they were long/short or what engine application they were referrring too does anyone remember who posted or what application it applied to? Thanks for any info!
Most Thorty's are of the Tri-Y design( 4 into 2 into 1). This makes fitting all the tubes easier(usually). http://www.thorleyheaders.com/

justanova
11-05-2004, 08:54 AM
My dad had put a set of doug thorley headers on a 66 chevy pickup, they were a try y design and fit and finish was awesome, well worth the money in my opinion.

69Rathead
11-06-2004, 01:34 AM
Cool thanks for the input...but it seems like it was someone who had a '69 Camaro who commented on them. I like the Tri-y config that is one reason why I was looking at them. I'm taking my time to find the right combo of cost/performance/fit...I'm on a limited budget! :injured:

67rsconvert
11-06-2004, 01:02 PM
you may want to check them out. I have a set and they are fantastic.

Rick Dorion
11-06-2004, 01:21 PM
What heads are you putting them on? I want to use them for my Pro Toplines 180's and am discussing with them their port size.

protour_chevelle
11-06-2004, 02:30 PM
My dads got a set for 56-64 Impala's(and that type) fender well headers. They look super cool! Quality header from what I can see.

Can't help much on where the post is though.

-Matt

69Rathead
11-06-2004, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the info guys I'll check out Dougsheaders.com

Fuelie Fan
11-06-2004, 03:09 PM
I have them on a 70 nova which is basically the same, and they fit nicely. It gets a little tight around power steering pump, but everything cleared with no modifications. I was very happy with them as well.

69Rathead
11-07-2004, 02:01 PM
I know what you mean about the power steering pump! I have old (I think Flowtech cheapies) headers on mine that barely clear also (<1/4"). I'm going to need to replace them soon as they have been on the car for 20+ years or so and I can tell they will be springing a leak soon. They are very oxidized and quite thin. I just want to replace them with a better quality Header but not one that will break the bank...seems like the Thorley's fit the bill somewhat. Thanks for the input!

Sled14
11-13-2004, 01:27 AM
I have a set of Thorley headers on my car and its been daily driver for past 1.5 years and still is chromed color, didnt discolor much at all

69Rathead
11-13-2004, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the input! I'm pretty sure I'm going with Thorley's. Seem to be pretty hard to beat at price per quality and performance and I'm trying to get this car completed on a low budget.

chevymike
11-15-2004, 08:15 AM
Sorry I'm late to the party. Most likely that was me posting about them on the old board. Here is a pic and link to more pics. So far I love them.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

More pics of headers (http://www-act.ucsd.edu/staff/mschwart/69pictures9.html)

Main page link in my sig. Enjoy.

Fuelie Fan
11-15-2004, 10:40 AM
The ground clearance was my favorite part! On my nova, you can't even visually tell that I have an aftermarket exhuast from the side. Of course, there's no doubt once it starts...it's LOUD. Flowmaster's fault, though, not thorley's.

69Rathead
11-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Hey it's never too late! Thanks for sending link to the pics too! A picture's worth a 1000 words as they say. I am definitely going with Thorley! Lots of clearance, Great price, and good performance. Ground clearance is unbelievable compared to mine...they are sweet!

Zee
11-25-2004, 09:57 AM
Headers were manufactued by a company called "Doug Thorley" headers at one time. Now there are two distinct companies, Doug's headers and Thorley headers. I hear this was done for a variety of legal issues but my understanding of the bottom line is that Doug's headers reflect newer development while the Thorley headers tend to be reproduced versions of headers made in the "Doug Thorley" days. I have heard the Doug's headers are of higher quality. No slam intended to Thorley as I have heard good things about them as well.

69Rathead
11-28-2004, 05:05 AM
Thanks for the input. The main reasons I am going with Thorley's over dougs is Price and Fitment. None of Dougs (www.dougsheaders.com) show a fitment with stock AC (which I have) and one set calls for a different Power steering pump mod or bracket to clear. They are also not Tri-Y (helps with clearance issues) Also they are over $200 more than the price of the Thorley's at Summit that will fit my AC car with no mods etc. I am sure however you get what you pay for and I can tell Doug's are better quality. For my application the Thorley's will fit well, perform better than the old (almost rotted out) cheapie circa 1975 Flotech's I have now, they are above average quality, and I'll save over $200 to boot! :icon996:

jay web
12-09-2004, 05:47 PM
does thorley make a 1 3/4 primary header? (or dougs)

69Rathead
12-16-2004, 05:50 PM
Jay I tried looking some to find out but from what I can see Doug's does make them but Thorley is kind of unclear. If I were you I would just call them and ask to make sure. Good luck

68driver
04-28-2005, 12:34 PM
Sorry I'm late to the party. Most likely that was me posting about them on the old board. Here is a pic and link to more pics. So far I love them.

I'm kinda late too, but was wondering if you can verify the part number on these headers. Are these Thorley 376C?

I've got a 68 Camaro with a new 383 and factory power steering. I kept the original 327 frame stands, but was told this may cause fitment problems with some headers. Looks like there's lots of room in your photo. What frame stands are you using?

in2protour
04-28-2005, 03:50 PM
http://imageevent.com/ls1z28/tommyscar?p=60&w=3&z=2

LowBuckX
05-17-2005, 11:54 PM
I am considering these headers now also. but i read in a car craft article that they Over scavenge at under 3600 RPM and loose a bit on Tq at 3600 and under. Would an X-pipe add to the over scavenging effect(BAD)? Or do you think they simply didnt run the test with a full exhaust system and they dont work well "open"

navyflyer72
10-18-2005, 08:42 PM
I have to say, that clearance is pretty nice, considering my Hookers hang WAy low. If the new springs don't fix that I may be headed for a purchase of a set of these Thorley's.

ertoys
02-13-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm kinda late too, but was wondering if you can verify the part number on these headers. Are these Thorley 376C?

I've got a 68 Camaro with a new 383 and factory power steering. I kept the original 327 frame stands, but was told this may cause fitment problems with some headers. Looks like there's lots of room in your photo. What frame stands are you using?
This is my question as well.

I need the 1 3/4" headers for my new ZZ383 but I dont want to damage them like I had to damage my hedmans.

Please, someone answer this question.

ertoys
02-14-2006, 05:20 PM
What frame stands/motor mounts should I use for the 383 to avoid the header clearance problem?

I dont mind spending the $ but, I dont want to tear up $500+ headers like I did my headmans.

How can I tell what frame stands/motor mounts that I have?

If I post a pic can you tell?

If I post measurments can you tell?

ertoys
02-21-2006, 07:07 AM
ttt