PDA

View Full Version : RS Headlight doors

Mike Holleman
08-23-2006, 09:20 AM
I have a vacuum problem that is defying logic. I am finishing a 69 RS Camaro project. While testing the vacuum headlight doors I get the following. The doors are doing exactly the opposite of what they should. Turn on the lights and the doors close, turn them off and they open. Logic says that the hoses are installed backwards on the switch, but when I switch them the doors will only open and will not close. Anyone run into this problem or have a suggestion.
Thanks
Mike Holleman

paul67
08-23-2006, 12:18 PM
try switching the hoses on the doors if thats poss

paul67
08-23-2006, 01:16 PM
Found this hope it helps

Mike Holleman
08-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Paul, Thanks for the responce. I do have this diagram. All the hoses are connected exactly per the assembly manual. I was just hoping that someone else may have had the same issue and a simple answer. I guess the switch could be faulty although it is new.
Mike Holleman

camaro608
08-23-2006, 05:59 PM
those doors suck

73z-6sp
08-23-2006, 10:41 PM
those doors suck

I agree. If I had it to do over (which maybe I will anyway) I would have bought the electric motor conversion and forgot about the original set-up. All of my pieces are new and mine does the same thing. They open but wont shut unless I go out and force them to close. About half way they will finish closing themselves. I guess it could be a vacuum (or lack of) issue. I am still trying to get other bugs worked out so the headlights are way down on the list. Let me know if you find out any fixes. I will do the same.

Best of luck!

paul67
08-23-2006, 11:56 PM
Try testing the switch by disconnecting the pipes and to headlights then opperate switch and put finger over the pipes going to the headlights to see if you get vacumn or get a vac gauge and put on each end , also when you put the switch in reverse it could be a saftey thing ie if it fails doors stay open so the lights can be used. I would also check each pipe for a leak, are the doors spring loaded. keep me posted.

vintageracer
08-24-2006, 04:30 AM
You have a bad or incorrectly plumbed vacuum contol valve or your vacuum lines are hooked up backwards at the headlight switch.

Get a fresh 4 foot long vacuum hose and connect it to the intake manifold. Use this as your vacuum source to test each component of the system. You will easily determine how each component fuctions such as off/on/open/close. This system is SIMPLE!

If the headlight doors are slow or the headlight door actuator pods leak it is ALWAYS the seal on the rod coming out of the actuator. This cannister is just like a C3 Corvette headlight acuator cannister. You can buy the $10 seal for a Corvette cannister to replace this seal. Most of the time the problem is the vacuum switch. You could also have the headlight vacuum hose switched at the headlight switch. There are 2 vacuum hoses hooked the the switch. All this system does is either apply vacuum or remove vacuum to make the system work. Take a "mighty vac" or your own mouth if you are a big suck up to check the vacuum storage tank for leaks.

Should take 15 minutes or less to determine the problem. That's it!

Mike Holleman
08-24-2006, 04:55 AM
I appreciate the suggestions. I did test the actuators for leaks before installing them. Bypassing the switch may get me in the right direction. With everything plumbed by the book it works, just backwards. Switching the hoses on the switch did not reverse the process as I thought it would. I'll break out the vacuum pump and a seperate hose and give that a try.
Thanks again.
Mike

Mike Holleman
08-24-2006, 11:30 AM
OK, it's fixed. I put the hoses back on the switch as per the vacuum diagram. It worked exactly backwards, so I switched the red and green hoses at the vacuum valve and it works correctly. Doesn't match the schemetic but who cares if it works.
Thanks for the replies.
Mike Holleman

paul67
08-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Glad you fixed it