PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle width selection

airrj1
11-04-2004, 07:37 AM
Currently I have a stock Chevelle rear axle, which is 61” wide. I have a set of C5 Z06 rims, which will require 2” wheel adapters on each side for the correct backspacing. Which will total an axle width of 65”. I have decided to run a Ford 9” rear axle and I have a choice of several different axles. Basically I can get a Ford 9” with the same axle width as the original Chevelle axle, or I can get a 9” from a Ford truck which has a total width of 65”. This would allow me to run my Z06 rims without any adapters on the rear wheels. Why wouldn’t I go with the wider rear axle?

Thanks.

RobM
11-09-2004, 08:52 PM
if those are the wheels you plan to use then id go with the wide rear end, its the strongest/sympolist way to go. ive heard the adaptors are pretty strong too, and alot of poeple use them in a racing situation but a wider axle that needs no adaptors is still going to be stronger. the only down side i see is if you ever decide you want to change the look of the car with different deeper dished wheels then your going to be kind of stuck unless you narow the rear.

airrj1
11-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Thanks Rob.

I actullay picked up the truck rear this weekend. $3.20 for a 9-inch with 31 spline axles. Not a bad day at the junkyard.