PDA

View Full Version : Is using 2 differant tires chessy or ok....

LowBuckX
11-04-2004, 12:09 AM
OK Its spelled right here ^^^ But not in the main title :Alchy:

Im just thinking out loud but would like your take on this.

I am using Fuzion 245/40 18 in the front and want a size they dont offer for the rear. I cant afford any of the brands that offer both sizes thats just how it is. The 245/40 cost $126 and seam to be a good tire by the reviews Ive read.

So either Im stuck with 245/40 on all 4 corners which wont be a bad thing seeing my performance goals are well in the range of these tires but Id like the look of the wider and more side wall in the rear.

So what Im asking is with the black wall lowpros that are almost indistiguishable from oneanother at 10 feet or farther would it be bad taste to use 2 differant make tires? :3gears:

baz67
11-04-2004, 08:45 AM
Why not. It is your car. Build it like you want to. I say do it. You would not be the first.
Brian

Norm Peterson
11-04-2004, 12:00 PM
I'm already stuck in more or less that situation, although due to a different set of circumstances.

So I'll point out that using tires of different makes and/or models will quite likely handle, ummm, *differently* than staying with all four the same model. Even if the different model tires are all the same size. In mild to moderate driving, you may not particularly notice or be bothered by this, but such differences tend to become more obvious as you drive harder.

Get opinions regarding the specific tires you have in mind. Tire Rack customer reviews have some merit, though you'll want to filter out those that don't match your situation or are filled with superlatives (an all-good or all-bad review is usually not a very objective one).

As far as the Fuzions themselves are concerned, I think that's what my daughter-in-law has on her late-model Beetle (215/40-17). If you think it'll help any, I'll ask my son for his opinion.

[Edit] Topic question last, I'm an engineer rather than a designer or artist, so I've intentionally left the appearance issue for others to comment on.

Norm

LowBuckX
11-05-2004, 12:22 AM
yes please id like to know what he thinks

Norm Peterson
11-05-2004, 05:23 AM
He says they seem to be pretty grippy in daily driving but has no idea how they'd be up around the limit at an auto-x or on a road course. His wife likes them very much in the rain. Decent bang for the buck, as the saying goes.

FWIW, he's got them mounted on at least 7.5" wide wheels, possibly/probably 8's (they bought the car used/as is and he doesn't know exactly). I'd go measure them myself except that I'm in NJ and the car is in NC.

Hope this helps.

Norm

TurboLark
11-05-2004, 07:00 AM
Whats the size you want in the rear?

CAMAROBOY69
11-05-2004, 11:08 AM
I say you will be fine having different tires front and rear. Chances are no one will notice and even if they do its not like they
will point at them like this. :hah: "different tires"

RobM
11-07-2004, 04:10 PM
the way i look at it is my car will fry tires pretty easy, so chances are im going to be replacing the rears alot. its just my personality to experament so im sure im going to try quite a few different tires on my car. so most of the time they will not be matched. right now im going to be running all nittos, but i have a set of toyo t1s's waiting for their turn

groove22
11-14-2004, 06:58 PM
I just put the Fuzion on my 69 Camaro this past Thursday. I am pleased with them. I have yet to test them for grip on a dry day but they seem to do well in the rain. For the price you really cant go wrong. I spent 141 a tire for 275/40/17 and less for the front. The problem I have seen is that they like to follow the ruts a lot more than I am used to but, I will get used to in time. The choice between two different tires is your choice, but I also think that the handling characteristics between the tires might cause a problem if you use for "spirited" driving. Good luck with your decesion and hope to see the pics when you get them done.

Allen

68RallySport
11-16-2004, 10:36 PM
HAHA having two diffrent tires saved me once.

I was minding my own business doing a 100 foot or so burnout in front of my school when out of no where (parked on the side of the road) the animal police comes flying after me with his shiny orange lights. He pulls up to me and informs me i need to pull over and wait for the beat officer to arrive. I smile and nod as i drop the clutch again and leave him trailing in a cloud of smoke.

Later that weak i was pulled over by a police officer practically in front of my house. Soon it was two cops and the second was a sergant(spelled wrong im sure). He continued to ram me into the ground about respecting the law while his buddy cop got a digital camera. The sergant told me the mark i left was very distinct and that they were gonna mark it up with my car's tires to prove i did the burn out(there arnt too many purpleish blue 68 Camaros in my nieghborhood. Well to top things off and make my day a hell of a lot better the cop went up to my front tire and took a picture of the tread!!! What are these cops idiots!!! I got an apology letter a week letter in the mail. My little secret is that i got bfgoodrichs on the front and yokahamas on the back!!!!

David

Norm Peterson
11-17-2004, 04:20 AM
68RS - I'm not sure how that "tech" has any bearing on Shawn's tire buying decisions. Normally I wouldn't bother with this if it were a thread starter, but since I'm already subscribed to the topic . . .

Has it occurred to you yet that a few members of some boards might be police officers? Actually, from another board I know specifically of a motorcycle cop in Antioch, which according to Mapquest is only about 35 miles from you.

Something to think over is that the proportion of those individuals who are willing to put in eight hour shifts behind the wheel of a patrol car that are interested on cars might be a little higher than for the general driving population at large. At least 3 of maybe a dozen officers who held down second jobs working building security for the company I used to be employed by were. And I'm in the Northeast.

And finally, you may have gotten the luck of the draw with regard to the specific sergeant who showed up. Or not. Have fun with your car, but keep it sane, OK?

Norm

RobM
11-17-2004, 09:03 PM
lets not start any flames here to each his own opinions. when i was in high school we did burn outs on a daily basis because every one knows thats what impresses the ladies! :naughty: :3gears: one time in auto shop we did a tranny swap on a late 80's BMW and i "tested it out" by doing a nice smoke show in front of every one who was eating lunch. i just told the principal that i hadnt bled the clutch lines yet and it was alittle hard to control the engagment. :lmao: Another time i did a brake stand with my budies crappy honda motor cycle in front of the auto shop bays. i explained that i was getting the "coating" off of his new tire before he took it out on the road. :smoke: but all kidding aside lets lay of the cops i know of a few that have saved my ass more than a few times because their good people.

68RallySport
11-18-2004, 12:10 PM
Hey sorry for the orginal post i know it was off topic. I have no issues with Police officers. If they werent there i wouldnt enjoy most all of the freedoms taken for granted in everyday life. But also i live in Piedmont not Oakland...anyone from the east bay can attest to Piedmonts situation i guess ill say it that way. Piedmont is in the middle of Oakland so some of the things the cops do i dont really respect. (we have a saying 'BIP' black in piedmont will get u pulled over instantly) I dont want to start a war so ill stop with that but im sorry for any offense i have brought to anyone reading my comments...
David