PDA

View Full Version : In-tank electric pump?

Donovan
08-19-2006, 03:07 PM
I searched and didn't find a topic on this. I have a 68 Firebird. I'm running the original V8 with a Qjet. I'd like to upgrade the fuel system for better fuel delivery. I went to the track and had issues with fuel loss at the top of 2nd and end of the track. This was with a mile per hour of 99. So I don't have any room to grow!

Has anyone ever bought a new repro tank and adapted an in-tank fuel pump for a carb application? What kind of baffling can be added? What pump setup would be suited for this, TBI pump from a 3rd gen? I would like to have a factory style setup for quiet, stealth performance :) :Alchy:

I know I can get a repro tank in stainless. It would just be a matter of grafting in the in-tank setup from another car and adding appropriate baffling?

All help appreciated!!!!

vintageracer
08-19-2006, 03:48 PM
I would look at getting a "good" as in Stewart brand racing mechanical fuel pump for your car. I would not go the the trouble of changing to an in-tank electric pump. Before I did any of this I would try a new mechanical fuel pump from the local parts store. I do not think the fuel pump is really your problem. With a V8 and a Quadrajet, a stock mechanical pump should provide more fuel than you will ever need. I'd say you are boiling the fuel out of that Quadrejet.

I run a mechanical fuel pump on my Vintage racing GT350 and Nascar also mandates a mechanical fuel pump for stock cars and they do not run out of fuel so rest assured you original V8 with a Quadrajet can/will get all the fuel it needs with a mechanical pump.

To answer your question, yes you can "graft" an in-tank fuel pump into your stock tank. Not all that hard. Remember, that you will only need 5-8 #'s of pressure with a carb so choose your in-tank electric pump carefully. You would probably be better using a TBI pump with a regulator and recirculation.

Donovan
08-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Thanks! Great response. I think you have a point. I have considered switching to a large canister mech. pump.

Any idea what a TBI pump puts out? Something like 15PSI I think? I'll need to plan it in case ;)

I will drop the tank, put a new sock and pickup in, get all new rubber lines in back, and switch the mech for another, first.

Seems like lots of folks have this sort of problem, but you say the original setup should supply more than enough. What do you think the problem is? 35 year old parts?