PDA

View Full Version : strange vibrations....

psybock
11-03-2004, 08:51 PM
I've just droped in a new 454based 468 CBB into my '71 camaro. the old engine was a worked 396. I was under the assumption that most everything would bolt onto this new engine. I did get a new fluidampr harmonic balancer because 454's are externally ballanced. all the accesories bolted up, so did the flexplate and transmission. I put new polyurethane engine and trans mounts. Car runs great, but there's a really really strange vibration that goes through the whole car somewhere around 1300 - 1900 RPM. Does anybody have any ideas? I'm thinking that maybe I have to swap out the flex plate because I saw in the Jegs catalogue that there's a specific "externally ballanced" flex plate. Could the one in the car (for a 396) be what's causing this vibration? I'm going to swap that part out reguardless, but wanted to know what you experts thought.

Thanks!

ProdigyCustoms
11-03-2004, 09:24 PM
I'm thinking that maybe I have to swap out the flex plate because I saw in the Jegs catalogue that there's a specific "externally ballanced" flex plate. Could the one in the car (for a 396) be what's causing this vibration? I'm going to swap that part out reguardless, but wanted to know what you experts thought.

Thanks!

Uh, Yup! That would be the problem.

psybock
11-04-2004, 02:14 AM
hey thanks for varifying that one for me ProdigyCustoms, I was pretty sure, but I'm still learning a lot at this point!