PDA

View Full Version : Maximum 4K RPM due to Torque Converter?

TheRoaringEagle
11-03-2004, 07:59 PM
Hi, I've heard that people used to use Torque Converters from a 6 cyl. car on their V-8s to help them in the 1/4 mile.

It's a 400 sbc bored .060 over with a TH350. It has 3.42 final gears and has a hard time on the freeway going 70-75 mph @ close to 4k RPM. I never cruise that fast on the freeway cause it feels like there's a lot of stress. Some of it was relieved switching from solid to polyurethane motor mounts.

Anyways... could the Torque Converter limit the engine speed of my 400?

I just want to be ABLE to get my Camaro up to 6-6.5K RPM without blowing it up or feeling like the subframe is going to rip away the body. Possibly hit the triple digits and be able to really drive this puppy!

TheRoaringEagle
11-04-2004, 03:17 PM
anybody?

Bill Howell
11-13-2004, 12:13 AM
You are lucky if you have a 60 over 400 and do not have overheating issues. I never could kept mine cool. I have never heard of a torque converter restricting rpm unless there was a problem with it. I would think there would be some major viberation if that was the problem though.Depending on your rear tire size 4000rpm @ 75mph with a 3.42 might be about right(sounds alittle high be not bad).Maybe it is a 3.55 gear. Either way that is pretty tight if you plan to cruise much.