PDA

View Full Version : 5.3?

RobM
08-17-2006, 05:59 PM
is the 5.3 that comes in the chevy pickups a form of the LSX engines? are the parts interchagable? im thinking about picking up one of these trucks in short bed 2wd form and i think it would make a bitchen performance truck. what kind of power potential does a 5.3 have?

rocketman
08-17-2006, 06:05 PM
they are lsx engine.I know a guy that put ls-6 heads and cam on one and it screams.

helmet10
08-17-2006, 06:54 PM
one of my coworkers owns a shortbed with possi and 5.3.
Headers,torque converter, tune runs 13.8 as he claims.
Nitto tires sticky

RobM
08-17-2006, 07:05 PM
i know these trucks have potential, i really cant wait to get into one

WS6
08-19-2006, 03:11 PM
www.performancetrucks.net the 5.3 is very overlooked but very capable. It's a modern 327.

shanekennedy
08-21-2006, 04:11 AM
i recently got an aluminum 5.3 from schram on ebay

they come stock w/ ~300hp, & can supposedly make 350 w/ headers & retune

they can be found @ bargin prices compared to the 5.7's

they have the taller intaker, which is a better torque producer, but isn't a sexy looking as the lower profile version from the sports cars

Kenova
08-21-2006, 01:00 PM
i recently got an aluminum 5.3 from schram on ebay
How was your experience in dealing with Schram? They seem to have some decent deals. I may consider dealing with them in the future if I don't have any luck locally.

they have the taller intaker, which is a better torque producer, but isn't a sexy looking as the lower profile version from the sports cars
Aaaahhh yes, Big Ugly. The only intake I've ever seen that actually looks better as you pile more crap on top of it. They would look more intimidating if all of the warts and bumps were smoothed out. If you think this one is ugly, wait until you see the new one on the '08s. It's made in three pieces and then glued together, with just as many or more warts and bumps.
Ken

shanekennedy
08-22-2006, 04:35 AM
How was your experience in dealing with Schram? They seem to have some decent deals. I may consider dealing with them in the future if I don't have any luck locally.

no problems w/ schram, & they have quick shipping. i ran the engine for the first time this weekend. it's still on the pallet. it was quite a jerry-rig setup. there were a few of items missing from engine that i had to track down (maf, tac module & harness, electronic pedal, beauty covers), but i did received everything advertised in the auction.

TA219
08-22-2006, 08:19 AM
they are lsx engine.I know a guy that put ls-6 heads and cam on one and it screams.

I am kind of shocked to hear that, I thought that the 5.3 had a smaller chamber in the head and that a LS1/6 head had a larger chamber and would lower the compression ratio even more :scared:

I recently bought a 5.3 because as mentioned above they can be had much cheaper (and i think it is cool to put a modern 327 where a old one used to live)

I dont know what to expect yet but as long as i can squeeze out 400 rwhp i will be happy

BonzoHansen
08-22-2006, 09:01 AM
I have been leaning towards a 5.3/Auto setup for my 67 (it will be a cruiser). I was thinking about the 1500 drive train too. I’m told they will support 300+ HP very easily. But the 5.3 is in the cars now, like the Impala, and I think they are all aluminum. I wonder which setup would be a better candidate for transplant (mount bosses, accessory setups, etc), the car version or the truck version. I want AC in the 67, and I understand that can be an issue in retrofits due to the AC mounting location. But I’m just starting my reading on this.

Edit: I noticed that big intake the other night on a truck. Can LS1 intakes fit the 5.3 motors? Again, maybe the car versions have a good solution.

protour_chevelle
08-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Even just a cam and LT's on the 5.3's make the thing a screamer for cheap.

-Matt

Kenova
08-22-2006, 12:53 PM
I have been leaning towards a 5.3/Auto setup for my 67 (it will be a cruiser). I was thinking about the 1500 drive train too. I’m told they will support 300+ HP very easily. But the 5.3 is in the cars now, like the Impala, and I think they are all aluminum. I wonder which setup would be a better candidate for transplant (mount bosses, accessory setups, etc), the car version or the truck version. I want AC in the 67, and I understand that can be an issue in retrofits due to the AC mounting location. But I’m just starting my reading on this.

Edit: I noticed that big intake the other night on a truck. Can LS1 intakes fit the 5.3 motors? Again, maybe the car versions have a good solution.
The 5.3 used in the front wheel drive cars has a real funky looking water pump and accessory drive. You would probably have major clearance issues. There are some all aluminum 5.3s being used in Trailblazers, Envoys and full size trucks.
The LS1 and LS6 intake manifolds will bolt up to the truck heads but usually create interferance problems between the throttle body and water pump outlet. This can be solved by changing the crank pulley/harmonic damper, water pump and accessory drive over to F-body, Corvette or Caddy CTS-V.
You are right about the AC pumps mouting location causing interference. Most people wind up using a custom AC bracket.
Ken

Damn True
08-22-2006, 01:20 PM
The 5.3 used in the front wheel drive cars has a real funky looking water pump and accessory drive. You would probably have major clearance issues. There are some all aluminum 5.3s being used in Trailblazers, Envoys and full size trucks.
The LS1 and LS6 intake manifolds will bolt up to the truck heads but usually create interferance problems between the throttle body and water pump outlet. This can be solved by changing the crank pulley/harmonic damper, water pump and accessory drive over to F-body, Corvette or Caddy CTS-V.
You are right about the AC pumps mouting location causing interference. Most people wind up using a custom AC bracket.
Ken

Have there been aluminum 5.7's or 6.0's in any of the trucks?

Just wondering if I can widen my search parameters for "parting out" ads.

Kenova
08-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Have there been aluminum 5.7's or 6.0's in any of the trucks?

Just wondering if I can widen my search parameters for "parting out" ads.

No 5.7s for the trucks, and all 6.0s have been iron .... so far. There are a slew of 5.3s for '08 and they are all aluminum but can't say for sure if the 4.8s are. The 6.0 also gets an aluminum block for '08. There is a 6.2 that will be used in some of the full sized SUVs and probably the GMC Denali. I'm also not sure if it is iron or aluminum. Most (maybe all) get DOD.
Ken