PDA

View Full Version : Race pumps fuel pump

mynvd69
08-17-2006, 12:31 PM
I was thinking of running one. This is the new mechanical pump from Howard Stewart. Any feedback would be nice Thanx.

Dandale
08-20-2006, 11:15 AM
Make sure you use a cheapo holley regulater ( ask them which one ). My cousin tryed every regulater out there and his motor needed a life preserver he flooded it so bad.

vintageracer
08-21-2006, 04:27 AM
I have run a Stewart pump on my road race car for years. Nascar also uses mechanical Stewart pumps.

justanova
09-18-2006, 04:14 PM
I know several guys running them in their dirt track cirlce burners with good results, on 700 hp 383's I believe you can get a regulator from them too to match the pump.

500hp club
10-01-2006, 02:59 AM
:drive2: I have a 502 crate motor with 566 hp 605 torque in a 74 Z28 caramo. I have a stock fuel tank with a Morso fuel sump welded to the bottom with a -10 line to a Morso fuel filter (the long round blue filter) then a Barry Grant HR 220 pump -8 line to the carburater (Demon 850) the fuel log and the Barry Grant return style regulator then a -10 return line to the tank. The fuel pump keeps burning up so then I went and a bought a Holly Blue pump. Pretty much the same setup but scraped the -10 return line. Now the fuel pump is mounted on an aluminum bracket that I made. It is right were the muffler used to be, between the rear end and the tank. It's down low even with the bottom of the sump. When I try to start the car with the Holly Blue pump I got 0 pressure so I took the fuel pump and disconnected it from the bracket and let it hang down low and I got 13 - 14 psi but couldn't adjust the regulator. No matter what I did it stayed at 13- 14 psi so then put it back up on the bracket even with the bottom of the sump again and I got 6 psi at the carburater. WTF :jawdrop:

Tech @ BG
10-02-2006, 04:32 AM
It sounds like you have a couple of issues here. The first one being where the pump is mounted, the main reasons to “Burn up” a fuel pump would be either starving for fuel, or too much heat being next to an exhaust system. If you have the Holley® Blue mounted in the same location as you had the Barry Grant® pump and you could not get any fuel out of the system until you lowered the pump it would most definitely sound like you have a problem getting fuel into the pump. From there if you’re still using the Barry Grant® Diaphragm bypass regulator that came with the BG220HR fuel pump it requires the use of a return line in order to regulate the fuel pressure. Running it without one would cause a situation like this. On a street driven vehicle, there would not be any advantage in not running the return line since it will keep the fuel, and your pump cooler as well as decreasing the amperage draw on the fuel pump.

Technical Support,

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com (http://www.barrygrant.com/)

Tiger
02-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Have anyone used the Race Pumps on the street? do they last? do they deliver as promised?

thanks

71z28al
02-25-2008, 06:24 PM
500hp club
Sounds to me your press guage is readind air not fuel- it doses not know the difference. These pumps "PUSH" fuel very well but suck at sucking.

hotrodf1
02-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Have anyone used the Race Pumps on the street? do they last? do they deliver as promised?

thanks

Here's what I can recall.

There are some threads about this over on TurboMustangs. The main problems with them are reliability over time ( which is supposed to be better, they have upgraded seals or something now), pressure fluctuation, which I think is due to engine heat (they now include a really thick gasket to go in between the pump and engine, limited success with that from what I've heard). You need to use the specific regulator that they sell, it's a very fast acting regulator that seems to be the only thing to control the pumping action of that pump. Also, startup is an issue. The pump doesn't self prime very well, and many folks have a hard time getting their ride started due to lack of fuel. I think even HotRod mag., told about their issues with starting the motor, but I can't remember if they were injected or not.

The people that owned the previous version had to pay like $90 to upgrade a pump they just bought to the new version (seals, thick gasket). I just think that was in poor taste.

My buddy was going to buy one of these for his big block, and after reading a little about them, he decided against it as well.

For me, why spend about the same money on something that doesn't have a really stellar track record and could leave you on the side of the road? Get a A1000 or SX Performance pump. I have the SX and love it. Just wire it correctly, use the right filters, etc, and you should be good to go. Just my $.02.

fredselco
03-17-2008, 05:57 AM
do not and let me say it again do not buy one of them expensive pieces of #$%& stay away as far as you can and let me tell you another about Steward himself. so you can Email me at my addy and any body else that wants to know about my horrible story on these pumps you too Howard but you already know how you do bussiness. and you could shut me up if you would honor your word!!!

johnny rockett
03-25-2008, 10:01 AM
I hear good and bad things about that pump from qaulified people...aka engine builders/racers/etc.........I think its a good idea and I know he has improved it just like any product..there are always design changes...etc....So I am going to give him a break in that department.......electric pumps have issues to.

I am curious to find out the real story on his latest pump form somebody that has been using one recentley?

The case for this pump is no noise.....easy to get too....and will support a 1000hp or more turbo engine with enough fuel to keep the engine happy.

I emailed Hendren engines and they love the pump.....what say the forum?...Maybe not enough experiance with his new piece?

Adam's 55 Chevy
03-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Very detailed thread on Chevy talk about poor workmanship, poor customer service and poor responces from more than a few guys who bought these pumps. Not for me, I used a magnafuel 500.