PDA

View Full Version : Radiator for turbo 69?

Paul69camaro
08-14-2006, 09:40 AM
Ok I finally got a break from school, and I came up with a little bit of cash so I wanted to get some progress done on my camaro project. The car has a 383 SBC and after It gets running I plan on starting the build process for the turbo set-up. Right now I'm looking for a radiator that will be up to the task of 900 crank hp. I've been reading through search results and I still can not come up with a solid answer to my question. Is a 2 row 1.5 inch tubes too much? or will a 2 row 1.25 inch tube radiator get the job done. I keep hearing conflicting stories so I'm unsure which to choose. I called up Ron Davis to get there opinion and price on a 27X19 universal and have not been able to get a hold of them, I'm guessing that they are just pretty busy. I talked to C&R radiators which recommended that I go with they're 28X19 2 row 1.25 inch tubes but wanted 499.99 which seemed a little high for a universal fit. Then I called griffin, the same radiator was only 272.16 but he recommend that I get the 1.5 inch tubes for 450 shipped, sounded like a good deal. But come to find out that they use epoxy which i hear is not a good thing. What do you guys think of all this and could you help point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Paul

Paul69camaro
08-14-2006, 06:16 PM
Ok I talked to Bill at Ron Davis Radiators today and he said that the best thing for me would be a dual pass from them. I've been told to stay away from those if I'm going to do any type of street driving at all. Even the Tech guy at Stewart waterpumps said to stay clear, so now I'm confused, If I'm planning to road race the car and drive it occasionally on the street what should I get?

porschev8
08-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Double pass radiators work excellent in street vehicles and we have hundreds of happy customers to prove it.

70GS455
08-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Be sure you have a high-flow water pump (and thermostat for that matter) as multi-pass cores have a little more restriction than single pass.

Paul69camaro
08-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I have stewart components stage 4 mechanical pump. Porsche v8, I'm going to take your advice but how big should the cooling tubes be? 1 inch or 1.25 inch? Thanks.

Paul