PDA

View Full Version : carb issues/suggestions??

Dan Sherwood
08-14-2006, 08:45 AM
This is on my 69 camaro with a 600hp/25 shot 406 sbc. I've always run the dual plane air gap intake, but this engine was built with a victor jr single plane. I will drive it down to Phx at 1500 ft and also drive it at home at 7000 ft. I have tried to set the carb up for in between and realize it's a compromise, but it will have issues in the Phx heat in the summer, but it really seems to have more issues up high. with the new 3310 holley 750 the thing seems to always run rich (can't idle in the garage or your eyes will water). Even with an elec choke it does'nt want to start right up, and the fast idle just does'nt seem to work properly. (same on last carb)
I have debated fi, but can't swallow the cost on a car that only sees 5000 miles a year on the street. My 67 camaro with a bbc and a 950hp although not seeing regular duty on the street does'nt seem to have near the issues with starting, warming up or running.
I'm debating wether to go to a street 750hp and get rid of the choke altogether, go back to an air gap intake, or what?
Car has an auto trans, sees maybe 50 passes and 10-30 minute road course sessions a year, runs a 25 shot at 11.5.
Would a custom carb help? I'm on carb #3 with not much improvement, and a fair amount of $ spent having this one and others tuned. ideas??? Thx!

Skip Fix
08-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Get a $350 LM-1 wide band and see where your fuel mixture really is. I have a 383 SBC with a similar carb and electric choke that runs pretty decent cold on a Victor Jr.. Teh air bleeds etc may not ive you the ideal fuel curve but cheaper tan a new carb and you can use it on other motors also.

Tech @ BG
08-16-2006, 08:52 AM
Having WBO2 is the best way to tune period. It will allow you to dial in specifically to your needs. With the type of elevation changes you're looking at your going to need about a 3 jet number swing from your low to high for optimal performance. With some tuning you should be able to get it where it is livable for you.

Shaker455
11-14-2006, 07:37 PM
Dan,
I don't know the rest of you engines combo and it would help if you could post it.

It's possible the carb is really running lean espically if you can't keep it running...it may just seem that way... the HP 950 is a small carb with large boosters and they usally run pretty rich as they were intended for track use.

If you want I can take a look at it for you.
Jeff