PDA

View Full Version : Tweaked my exhaust

jeff5347
08-14-2006, 05:41 AM
Well fix one thing break another. Yesterday me , my wife and a bunch of friends decided to drive on the backroads on a nice sunny day and then climb Mt Wachusett. Well everything went well until we got to the top of the mountain. My 68 camaro has dumps after the headers and makes it very tough navigating speed bumps and stuff as to not hit. Well backing up i hit a rock with the dump and it tweaked my pass side header. All the factory bends are pancaked. I was gonna take them out this winter and jet hot them.
i have hooker super comps with a custom exhaust. So now i need new headers. The headers i have are 1 5/8. Are those the best size for the street for tourqe but also good for the track for high rpm maybe 6500. Also i have currently 2.5 exhaust. Would 3 inch be to big.

6'9"Witha69
08-14-2006, 07:46 AM
More motor specs are needed to even begin making any assumptions.

jeff5347
08-14-2006, 08:48 AM
ok i have a 357, hooker super comps w 1 5/8 now. Victor jr manifold, trick flow g2 heads, comp cams 280hr-.525 lift, 10:1comp, 1.5 crane gold roller rockers, holley 750 vac sec, th350 w 2600 stall, msd 85551 dist msd6al, pete jackson gear drive instead of timing chain,
I am thinking of putting on the perf rpm to get better low end torque. I drag race 1 or 2 a year. So need some nice low pulling and take off power.
My friend has a full Mac exhaust system on his 93 stang. Sounds unbelievable muscly but corvette like to. Just screams when in to it. I dont care if it is loud inside the car. im not looking for comfort.

Steve68
08-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Must of been one hell of a rock!!!

New headers, Performer RPM A/G, Dr.Gas X over, new Borla or Spin teck mufflers, and some tail pipes, all in 2.5 size, you already got noise from the gear drive and cam, buy the right mufflers and you'll be cruisen,

jeff5347
08-14-2006, 12:43 PM
this was a rock on top of the mountain. Probably was the mountain. It fwelt like i backed in to someone. Stopped me dead. Got out as i was pissed and it was a giant flat rock that stuck up about 6 in and i didnt see it.

Steve68
08-14-2006, 05:15 PM
Jeff, where do you live?? what do you think of my recomendation??

jeff5347
08-15-2006, 06:24 AM
Hey Steve,
Live in Leicester, Mass.
I need to make a correction to the previous. I dont think i screwed up the whole exhaust. When the headers bent it pulled on the exhaust kinda pulling on the mounts for the exhaust. I think i am gonna go with what you said though, the RPM a/g,
Yea the gear drive and cam make a nice sound.
Steve... The dr. gas x over. QWuestion on that. ui have currently a h pipe. What would be the diff in sound and performance w the x over. Also i do have a 2.5 pipes now.
Do you like the borlas or spintechs better than the flowmaster mufflers?
Also what are some good replacement headers. There are so manny my head spins.
Should i stay w the hooker super comps or i was looking at the tri y headers? thoughts?
But yea i like your combo as thats almost what i have.