PDA

View Full Version : Help, Chilton sucks! LT1 Opti Spark Issues

barno68
08-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Why would someone put together a manual that covers so many model years? Anyway, I am assembling a '96 Covette LT1 (VIN P) and have installed the timing chain according to the manual. Crank timing mark at 12 and camshaft timing mark at 6. I intalled the timing cover and began to put the opti spark it when I noticed that the cam pin is at 3 o'clock (as pictured in the timing chain section of the manual), but the opti spark chapter says it should be at 9 when #1 cylinder at TDC :hand: . The marks on the opti spark show my current configuration lines up the cam pin to #6 cylinder (I think?). Which way is correct? Thanks.

Brent

camcojb
08-13-2006, 02:39 PM
Why would someone put together a manual that covers so many model years? Anyway, I am assembling a '96 Covette LT1 (VIN P) and have installed the timing chain according to the manual. Crank timing mark at 12 and camshaft timing mark at 6. I intalled the timing cover and began to put the opti spark it when I noticed that the cam pin is at 3 o'clock (as pictured in the timing chain section of the manual), but the opti spark chapter says it should be at 9 when #1 cylinder at TDC :hand: . The marks on the opti spark show my current configuration lines up the cam pin to #6 cylinder (I think?). Which way is correct? Thanks.

Brent

With the timing chain marks lined up you're at TDC#6. So what you are seeing is correct. If you spin the engine one full turn (360 degrees) you'll be at TDC#1 and the Opti will be at the position in the manual.

If the timing marks are correctly lined up you're fine, install the Opti. It cannot be installed wrong, only way to goof up is not to line up the cam timing correctly.

Jody

barno68
08-13-2006, 05:33 PM
Rotating the crank one turn is going to put both the crank and cam timing marks at 12 o'clock. Why would the manual instruct to line them up at 6 and 12 putting #6 at TDC? I am not experiencing the nice warm feeling right now...

barno68
08-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Ok, more to the point... Chilton shows all the LT1s, except VIN P & 5, at 12 and 12. I have a VIN P and it shows at 6 and 12. Is this correct or is the manual all jacked up? I can rotate it as posted above and it may be just fine, or it will be 180 out and I will be building another engine real soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

camcojb
08-13-2006, 06:47 PM
Ok, more to the point... Chilton shows all the LT1s, except VIN P & 5, at 12 and 12. I have a VIN P and it shows at 6 and 12. Is this correct or is the manual all jacked up? I can rotate it as posted above and it may be just fine, or it will be 180 out and I will be building another engine real soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You cannot be 180 out on the cam timing. You cannot put the Opti on 180 out, the splines only fit a single way. They tell you to line up the dots at 6 and 12 because that is the best way to get the cam timing correct. If they said put them both at 12 it would be very easy to be a tooth off.

What they do not tell you is that 6 and 12 is not TDC #1. Don't overthink this, just line up the dots at 6 and 12, make sure they're correct and install the Opti the only way it goes in. It will work, trust me! :hammer:

Jody

barno68
08-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks Jody, I was going to write a "duh" statement and saw your post. Yes, unlike a normal distributor, the opti spark can not be put in wrong. It went in with no problem, and I was over thinking it.

Still have nothing good to say about Chilton. I remember the good old days when Haynes was a quality manual...

Brent

TPI Monte SS
08-14-2006, 05:53 AM
Correct, but if you are building a fresh motor and need to adjust the valve lash, you will have them too loose. Remember you're really at TDC for #6 and start from there.