PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting problem ?

osdmike
11-02-2004, 03:04 PM
Hi !

I recently bought a -69 Camaro with Wilwood disk brakes .(Front and rear)
The front brakes , ( approx. 10,50" diameter) was put on the car , in the early or mid- 90´s , so I´m not sure what model
the calipers are.

In the rear , I have a ford 9" axle , that was put on the car some years later , with 12" diameter disks.
I have 15" American Racing Wheels . It´s tight , but it works.

Since the rear brakes are larger , they also lock up very easily.

I have a propotioning valve , ( I´m not sure about the brand. It says "K-N" on the adjusting knob).

Does any one have any info´s about this propotioning valve ?

When I have the valve adjusted all the way out ,anti- clockwise , the brakes are pretty OK balanced , but not perfect.
I have to push the pedal hard

When I adjust the valve clockwise , I get better brake performance , but I also get problem with lockup in the rear.
The more clockwise adjusting , the more lockup in the rear.

Would this be an adjusting problem , or do I have to put larger rotors in the front?
What do You Guys think ?

Michael
:hmm:

Hydratech®
11-02-2004, 04:59 PM
Hi Mike - here's my .02 on your situation:

While you could tune in the bias until you found a happy medium, the real answer would be to indeed install larger front brakes. Find a happy medium in the bias adjustment until you can get the larger front brakes installed, then go for the largest rotor that you can properly squeeze into your wheels. This will then make the braking actions inherently much more so proportioned, requiring very little, if any, input from the inline knob style pressure control valve.

While this may fly in the face of some conventional wisdoms, you could also swap out your master cylinder for a disc / drum model, which produces greater pressures to the front brakes, with somewhat reduced pressures to the rear brakes (as compared to the typical disc / disc mc).

osdmike
11-03-2004, 01:38 AM
Thank´s.
Yes .I think larger rotors is the right way to go , for a start.

Michael