PDA

View Full Version : 45 degree flaring tool

jeffandre
08-11-2006, 10:44 AM
My cheap old tool is useless for stainless brake line! I need to upgrade but will only use the tool for one car, so would like to avoid spending big bucks if possible. I have the 45 degree stainless fittings already, and need to know what tools are the best for my needs. Also, do I need to double flare the stainless, or do you just single flare it? Thanks in advance,

derekf
08-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Single flare for stainless. Can't help on the other; may be some useful info here: https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19781

jeffandre
08-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Thanks Derek, I searched and read that already, as well as a post from Yody about 37 degree tools. Since I am only doing a dozen or so stainless flares for my entire brake system I may check with the local hydraulic shop to see what they charge. If it is break even, I will let the pros handle it, and save my time for the exhaust work.

What I found so far was a tool on eBay for stainless flaring at about $60 shipped. After looking at my fittings again I am questioning whether they are 45 degree or 37 degree, which of course complicates the job for me a bit more, and also points towards letting a pro do it. I'll search some more tonight to see what I can find.

parsonsj
08-12-2006, 05:51 AM
Jeff,

AN stuff is 37 degrees, and normal plumbing is 45 degrees. I've got a tool for each. which cost about $90 or so apiece.

jp

jeffandre
08-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Jeff,

AN stuff is 37 degrees, and normal plumbing is 45 degrees. I've got a tool for each. which cost about $90 or so apiece.

jp

John,
That's what I figured, so spending another $180+ on tools or having the flaring done at the local hydraulic shop is the question. I have regular 45 and 37 degree flaring tool salready that work fine with regular steel and aluminum, so it may be better to just get them done professionally (I swear I am not going to need the stainless flaring tools for more than one brake job). If I do buy the tools, I might get them from Inline Tube ($99 for 37 degreee & $75 for 45 degree)Thanks for the info!