PDA

View Full Version : 68 Firebird with Factory AC to Vintage Air

king67rsss
08-10-2006, 06:08 PM
I have a 68 Firebird that came with factory air. However all of the AC components under the hood were removed sometime in it's life and the box that held the evaporator was cut off and sealed up.
Vintage Air sells a kit for the 68 Firebird but it is for cars not originally equipped with AC.
Can I buy the AC delete box from American Graffiti and then install the kit from Vintage Air?
i can't do the DSE heater box delete since the car is already painted and the engine is installed.

vintageracer
08-10-2006, 06:15 PM
Yes

ProdigyCustoms
08-10-2006, 06:19 PM
i can't do the DSE heater box delete since the car is already painted and the engine is installed.

Sure you can. You could weld it carefully, or panel adhesive bond it, or screw / pop rivit it for that matter. But if you do that, I would suggest a Gen 2 compaq unit. We sell a lot of compaq set ups. Or you could use a sure fit.

king67rsss
08-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks. What about the factory heater/AC control panel, can I retain that or will that have to be replace with the VA unit?

vintageracer
08-11-2006, 05:56 AM
That depends on the unit you buy. The better Vintage Air units have electric controls which will not work with your original controls. The standard Vintage Air units can be made to work with your original controls. The electric door control units are MUCH BETTER than the old cable/vacuum units.

There is a company that advertises in the major rags that will convert your original controls to work with their A/C unit. This is not Vintage Air. I cannot remember their name however I have used their product and it works well.

phoenixdawg
08-11-2006, 08:37 AM
Hot Rod Air is the company that will convert your originals

ProdigyCustoms
08-11-2006, 12:19 PM
I would not wipe my a$$ with Hot Rod Air. We had to install it in a project because the customer supplied it, UGH!

barno68
08-22-2006, 07:25 PM
Classic Auto Air will also use stock controls. Although, they recomend using the non-AC control panel.