PDA

View Full Version : Mounting A/C and Alt with Procharger?

whytry
08-10-2006, 08:32 AM
I am adding A/C to my car, and I can't find a bracket for it. Does anybody know of anything that will mount the A/C and the alt on the same side (pass side) I have the procharger on the driver side which leaves me little room so I am guessing I have to mount it all on the pass side correct? I just can't find a bracket for doing this. I know some of you have done this before where did you get the bracket or brackets? Also should I switch to a regular water pump and get rid of my electrical, would this help solve my bracket problems?

Lawrence
08-10-2006, 09:04 AM
I'm LT1, but I used street and performance brackets and pulleys to get everything except the power steering down the passenger side, and the procharger goes on the drivers side. Here it is mocked up a few weeks back

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Finch
08-10-2006, 12:43 PM
I used the Procharger A/C mount kit. It works well but limits you to an R4 type compressor unless you modify it like I did to use a Sanden unit. I also wish they offered a serp pulley system with the S/C's.

MarkM66
08-16-2006, 08:13 AM
It was for a SBC, but my bother used a lower a/c mount braket from Alan Grove, that mounts to where a mechnical fuel pump mounts. He did have to modify the bracket to work though. Uses a stander a/c comopressor, and it mounted down low.

whytry
08-16-2006, 02:23 PM
That's what I was going to try to do, but Alan Grove said they are aware of that type of mod and it will not work on my BBC... :(

camcojb
08-16-2006, 04:19 PM
this is the Procharged big block setup

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/09/zl1motor8-1.jpg

whytry
08-17-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks Jody, I should have emailed you in the beginning, I should have known...

Looks like I need a bracket. Will that bracket work with the Classic Auto Air compressor?

MarkM66
08-17-2006, 08:58 AM
That's what I was going to try to do, but Alan Grove said they are aware of that type of mod and it will not work on my BBC... :(

They said the same thing about the sbc. But I can see where there would be less room down there. So they're probably right. I'm sure it's work if you wanted to notch the frame some.

67 caprice
08-20-2006, 07:16 AM
Made the bracket. Went with a short water pump for more room. Serpentine belt runs the A/C, P/S, alt, and water pump. I found that the stock set up required me to keep spare V belts and tools with me all the time.

67jeff
08-21-2006, 07:05 PM
Jody,

are these brackets custom made? ive got a short water pump. will that work with a procharger? do i need a special power steering pump or alternator?

thanks

camcojb
08-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Jody,

are these brackets custom made? ive got a short water pump. will that work with a procharger? do i need a special power steering pump or alternator?

thanks

The bracket and pulleys come from Procharger and require a certain pump and a/c compressor. Alternator is normal. They do require a long pump though.

Jody

speedster
08-24-2006, 08:07 AM
Made the bracket. Went with a short water pump for more room. Serpentine belt runs the A/C, P/S, alt, and water pump. I found that the stock set up required me to keep spare V belts and tools with me all the time.

Hey - can you post some detailed pictures of your serpentine setup or PM me ?
I had ATI make me a custom harmonic damper for the engine since it is a cog drive. They put the serpentine grooves directly on the balancer circumference and your setup looks like it would work well with it.

JamesJ
04-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Hey - can you post some detailed pictures of your serpentine setup or PM me ?
I had ATI make me a custom harmonic damper for the engine since it is a cog drive. They put the serpentine grooves directly on the balancer circumference and your setup looks like it would work well with it.

Did you get any info, will you post it if you did?

67 caprice
04-24-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm not sure if you still need some photos. If you do let me know. I will take some pictures and post them.

ProdigyCustoms
04-24-2007, 05:06 PM
James, We were lucky enough to have the 67 Caprice at the shop for a while. 67 Caprice basically used a Mid Mount March set up and made adapters, and substituded some pieces, much the same as we are with our kit. He is also using the smaller old style blower, so packaging was a bit eaiser then it will be for your larger D series

67 caprice
04-24-2007, 05:35 PM
Frank it is a D1: ASP Performance machined the pulleys. The crank pulley is 8.125 inch 12 Rib and 6.5 inch 6 rib. The Procharger bracket is almost stock. I just used longer bolts and spacers. The original set up used a long water pump and the 12 rib was on the inside. “Closest to the crank.” Now it’s a short, reverse rotating water pump, and the 12 rib is on the outside. I made the A/C, Alternator, and power steering brackets

ProdigyCustoms
04-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Why did I think it was a 600? It is the old style D?

67 caprice
04-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Yes it is a old stile D1. After the dyno I thinking about a F1R.